main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Recomended way to watch the entire saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Pimpsy, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    The Prequel Trilogy was suppose to have been made first but the technology and the money was not there yet. I strongly believe that it wasn't simply made just for the people that already knew that Anakin would turn into Vader. Of course there were tons of people who knew this,

but we should get young people to watch the six films from 1 - 6 in order and interview them at the end of each film. People who have never seen the story before should do the experiments. How about Amish people? Watch them watch the films and leave out the part where Padme names her kids...... because naming her kids will make some people realize that Leia and Luke are siblings and that Vader is his father.

But I think it is better for that to be a shocker..... that is the number one reason why I loved the Empire Strikes Back so much because when I found out that he was the father, I was blown out of my seat. We want first time audiences to be blown out of their seat as well.

2. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    4-6

1-3

1. because the sudden decline in technolgy isn't so bizzare that way (in gffa, technology gets worse, not better :p)

2. it shows different styles in film making technolgy, then vs now, i think people would find it more fascinating that way

a bit like showing people (kids mainly) the two Clash Of The Titans movies in order they were made

sinkie and Alexrd like this.
  3. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2010
    I - II - The Clone Wars - III - IV - V - VI - Dark Empire Trilogy.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I recommend watching them in the inteded order of I, II, III, IV, V and VI. The following details my recent experience with this, if you are willing to read a wall of text :).

Well, I just watched the saga on TV, because it was on. I think that the story flows well across all six movies, despite a few discrepancies. There are few small nagging story details that seem inconsistent, but that stuff can be mostly explained away. The biggest problem is the jarring differences in the visuals of the movies, especially when going right from EPIII into EPIV. Of all of the prequels, EPI looks the most consistent with the OT, and I think this is because it was actually shot on film, wasn't it? EPII and EPIII were shot digitally, and so they just look more steady? I'm not sure how to explain it, but also EPIII is a very big and busy movie with big battles and lots of Jedi and soldiers battling, and wide shots all through-out. It makes EPIV look much smaller when viewed back to back, except for the showdown with the Death Star at the end. Of course a lot of this can be explained that it is the result of where the story is in EPIV, and it just doesn't call for the bigger set pieces of EPIII.

Another glaring difference, is the digital vs conventional effects. The way the blasters hit the walls, and ships explode, and the smoke and all that does look a lot different between the two trilogies, and I will admit that although I love the OT much more, these types of effects look much more real, and better in the PT. Also, the puppet the puppet Yoda in the OT just looks lot more rubbery and stiff, when you are just coming off of seeing him in CGI form. The light saber beams also look much worse in the new trilogy, appearing very wobbly, and even changing colors between shots. All in all, I much prefer the look and feel of the real sets and ship models in the OT, and I always thought the over green-screening in the PT looked cartoony and fake, except for when it is just stuff in the far background. However, the other effects, like lightsababer blades, blaster effects and a lot of the background creatures look much better in the PT. Yes, I know we all love the puppet and costume work of the OT, but when you see a lot of the Cantina creatures in EPIV, after coming off of EPIII, it is jarring.

Given the sudden shift in the cast of characters between the trilogies, it is best to think of them as two separate but linked trilogies. They do tell one over-arching saga, but it is in the background of two distinctly different stories. In light of the prequels, Han, Chewie, and Lando stand out quite a bit from the rest, since they are more or less accidentally caught up into the bigger events, but grow to become heroes by the end. This is in contrast to people like Obiwan, Luke, Leia, Yoda etc, that were always directly tied to the overall story. There are some minor story things like that stuck out to me:

1. Why does Obiwan not act too much like he realizes who Leia is? He was present at the twins birth, and he knows full well that she was adopted by the Organas, but never seems to be able to connect the dots during EPIV. It may be that he realized the truth but kept it secret intentionally, to keep Luke's mind focused on his Jedi training. Then again, why did he not consider training Leia? she should have inherited her fathers force sensitivity as well, right? Maybe it is because he dies before he can.

2. Why does he not recognize R2D2? It seems that he may actually recognize R2, since he refers to the droid as 'friend' But he does not act like he is very shocked to see the droid. This could be because He never had a close relationship with the droid, and so R2 is lost in Obiwans memories of the clone war. It could also be because R2 units seem to be quite common in the GFFA, so Obi-Wan would have simply assumed it to be any random ole R2 unit.

Anyway, the movies actually fit together pretty well all in all, as long as they are treated as two separate chapters in a two part saga. The sets look better in the OT, and blasters and lightsabers look better in the PT, as do many of the creatures. The CGI clone troopers in the PT look super, super fake, compared to the actual actors playing the stormtroopers in the O. Also, CGI Yoda from EPII an III looks way better than puppet Yoda, or at least that is the way I see it. I should note that the channel guide listed the movies as being from '1997' I'm assuming this isn't the recent blu ray versions then, so some of this stuff may look better on blu ray.

5. mrdan5

mrdan5 Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2012
    I wouldn't call finding a character irritating rather than interesting cynical or nitpicking. It's a perfectly valid criticism that can ruin the enjoyment of a movie, especially in this instance when the irritant is the saga's central character.

In response to the topic question, I'd watch it 1-6. I prefer the OT to the PT, so I'd rather 'leave the best 'till last' as it were. Having said that, I could probably just watch the OT alone, but once I've watched Episode 3 I immediately want to view 4.

6. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    That's not really what I was talking about.

7. CobaltBlue

Apr 23, 2010
    Forget what I said previously, here is my preferred way to watch the Star Wars saga...

Clone Wars - Episodes III to VI - Dark Empire Trilogy trilogy.

8. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    what the hell is the Dark Empire Trilogy??

9. Sith_Lord_Sam

Sith_Lord_Sam Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2012
    For first time star wars watchers, i would suggest the original release order, 4-5-6-1-2-3, but to avoid confusion and if you want to watch the story unfold naturally, i would say watch it in Chronological order,1-2-3-4-5-6.

In my opinion, i watch my star wars in flashback order, 4-5-1-2-3-6.:)

10. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012

I like the concept here, but the Dark Empire was never my favorite I would put Thrawn over it any day.

11. Maul Plagueis

Maul Plagueis Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2012
    I would just watch them in the order the evnts in the saga unfolded, with that order being 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. Now, if you wanted to watch them in order of how good they are, then wathc them as follows(worst to best) 1, 2, 6, 3, 4, 5

12. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Again, there is no certain way to watch the STAR WARS saga.

13. CobaltBlue

Apr 23, 2010
    I like the Thrawn stuff, but it doesn't feel like a continuation of the core Skywalker story from the movies. Dark Empire feels like a direct follow up to RotJ. Heir to the Empire is the start of a new saga, spreading it's focus on multiple characters including new villains, with Luke less central.

Dark Empire also captures the feel and scope of the movies better than any spin-off media. It has about the same number of planets, action scenes, etc as one of the movies, takes about two hours to read, plus it has the Lucas action-adventure style so much of the EU doesn't; the constant cliffhanger thrills, one threat after another. Just look at the opening sequence; Han and Leia fly in to rescue Luke and Lando from an imperial civial war zone on Coruscant. They have to fight off an imperial walker, then junk traders trying to rip apart the Falcon, then hot-wired weapons droids, then Cyborrean battle dogs. Luke appears from nowhere and defeats the droids and the dogs with the Force - and then he fights another Imperial walker singlehandedly! It's just breathless, one action scene after another.

The Thrawn trilogy makes full use of it's medium and creates a deeper story with more characterisation and great new villains, but for me Dark Empire feels the closest of anything (until 2014) to Episode VII. Lucas himself said the same thing, and he gave copies of it to employees as presents.

kainee likes this.
  14. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I may not appreciate the Clone Wars cartoon if I didn't know Anakin would later become Vader, I guess.

15. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    6-1-2-3-4-5 Stop Hammer time, then watch ROTJ.

16. Kurnous Ntol

Kurnous Ntol Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2012
    Hey, that´s an intelligent way of watching the saga, like some other sagas like Metal Gear Solid that provide a shocking revelation and then dwelve on the events that led to that revelation before the final chapter. I might try it someday.
    As for me I watch them from I to VI, but sometimes after watching III I need to watch VI´s scene of Darth Sidious being thrown to the shaft over and over again.

Sith_Lord_Sam likes this.
  17. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    1-6 starting early in the morning and lasting all day. It's perfect for inviting others, because 1 and 2 don't really need to be seen to get the dramatic thrust of the saga, so if people wanted to sleep in, it wouldn't be a big loss.

StampidHD280pro likes this.
  18. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    People can't even sit & watch 1-6 in one sitting...13hr is enough anything else just waters 1-6 down.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  19. sansian

sansian Jedi Master

Sep 2, 2001
    I have been reading your poists all afternoon and I have to say I am jealous you have had the opportunity to see it 1 through 6 without having seen the OT.

20. kenobifan1999

kenobifan1999 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2012
  21. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    I said it in the "Virgins" thread, and I'll repeat it here: production order is the way to go.

Episode order curb stomps all over the big reveals in Empire and Jedi, and drains all the symbolic resonance out of the last scenes of AOTC and ROTS.

22. Roberto Calrissian

Roberto Calrissian Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I am conflicted. You want that shocking moment of Vader's real identity but at the same time. You might as well make them watch episode 1 the weakest of all first just to get it over it and tell them it only gets better with each movie.

23. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    ^Nah, it isn't that bad.

24. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I watch it the right way 1-6 no ice, no water.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  25. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Droids, Ep.IV, Holiday Special, Ep.V, Ep.II, Clone Wars miniseries, TCW, Ep.III, Ep.V, Ep.VI, the Ewoks films, the Ewoks cartoon, Ep.I.

I'd be willing to debate the order of watching Droids and the Ewoks films.

Yunners likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.