main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Things you miss about old, obsolete technologies.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Nov 23, 2012.

1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I can totally see you sniffing every new thing that got bought into your house.

2. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    It's just that I can remember that smell to this very day, like the new plastic smell my He-Man and Skeletor figures gave off the Christmas morning I got them. It's probably due to how your sense of smell is stronger when you're young.

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Or putting it down on a receiver.

Plus it makes suspense movies lame now that people have to lose their cellphones in illogical ways.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i miss that first time you'd flip though your photos after you picked them up from the drug store, not knowing what you'd get or if any would be any good.

5. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I liked sending in a roll of film that had taken months to finish, having long forgotten what the first pictures were.

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I miss pressing the big orange button on the cord-attached remote of our family slide projector to flip through old holiday slides in a darkened room.

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I missing naming all of my various VHS mix tapes from back in the day... none of the names weren't particular clever or funny, but still.

8. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I miss the thick plasticky smell of my old Nintendo 64. :) Instantly takes me back to my childhood home. Speaking of smells, whenever I smell gasoline, I'm reminded of Iran. Tehran smells like gasoline.

I miss the days before Wikipedia, IMDB and Google. Remember before when you were wondering about something for a long time, sometimes something scientific about how some specific thing works, or sometimes just trivial things about some actor or something. And you'd forget about it and it would stay in the back of your mind, until suddenly one day by coincidence you're flipping through channels on the tv and you happen to come across a documentary that reveals that thing you were wondering and you'd go "aaaaahh, I've been wondering about that!" Serendipitous. I miss that. Nowadays,whatever you want to know, Google it, in 30 seconds you know. Where's the thrill in that? :p

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  9. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    It's old, but not quite(almost) obsolete, but I love Nextel Motorola phones. We still have them and not only do you have the advantage of a full signal in the middle of nowhere ( it's what emergency responders use) I like the idea of being able to drop my phone on the ground or in the water and not care.

10. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Remembering new phone numbers. I used to be able to dial the most essential ones from memory. Since owning my first cell phone I haven't remembered a single one. The old ones are still instantly available, though.

11. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    nobody runs anybody through anymore. 'cept me.

12. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    You can still do that.

13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    This... totally this. My phone died earlier this year, and I didn't have most of the numbers written down, so I had to get all phone numbers again. My own damn fault, and I now keep a list again, like I used to back in the day. Technology makes us dumb and lazy. :p

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    So I can blame that on new technology? I totally blamed it on turning 40. :p

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    There are people here who had the Atari 2600 as their first gaming console. Compared to that, or even the NES/Sega Master System, PS1 was the future we all dreamed of!

16. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I miss Star Wars movies not being ****.

AaylaSecurOWNED and Rew like this.
  17. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    As annoying as it was, I do miss the 56k modem dialing up.

18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    You guys are nuts... I don't miss dial up at all.

19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think he just misses the sound. must be a dubstep fan.

AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  20. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    I miss having cellular phones that didn't break if you so much as looked at them wrong.
    [​IMG]

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  21. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    For those who miss the noise of dial-up modems....

DarthMak likes this.
  22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    There's only one thing about dial up that I miss... AOL promotional discs. I'd do their 90 day promotion, call to cancel, and end up getting two more months free. It went on like that for, like, two years--I didn't pay one cent for internet.

23. Pyrus

Pyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    And you never lacked coasters.

24. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Being overjoyed when you found a spot where the light for your Game Boy was just perfect.

25. Platelet

Platelet Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    Being chosen to click the button that advanced the slides on my parents' slide projector.

Also, film negatives. They looked creepy, yet cool.