main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.9 - A Necessary Bond - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    An amusement: Anyone wonder why pirates would need to shoot off their own binders? Maybe the idea of using keys is too complicated for them. [face_laugh]

Order66Survivor and QuangoFett like this.
  2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Maybe they didn't have keys on them

3. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Maybe it's the scene where Grievous curls up and gets shot at that's throwing me off, or that he seemed to be holding back when fighting Ahsoka, but I don't think this episode served his badass rep much. He got to do something, I guess that's nice, but he didn't win or lose; he was just there.

Hondo, again, I like him, but geez, he's been in every freakin story arc this season. I hope they put him away for some time after this.

Order66Survivor and DarthKreVass like this.
  4. DavidIX

DavidIX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    Hondo-" I feel so safe" After what's her name told him she had his back. Hondo is so freaking great.

Grievous finally looking a little more badass. He did have that one spin move on Asohka that reminded me of the Micro series. Loving the fact Filoni and GL or both are finally realizing they can't keep making him look bad.

5. IndianaBones

IndianaBones Jedi Knight

Sep 30, 2012
    My guess is the CIS eventually leaves due to how worthless the planet is.

6. IndianaBones

IndianaBones Jedi Knight

Sep 30, 2012
    Erm, isn't that going to happen in the Mauldalore arc, which takes place after this one? If so, that makes no sense... Unless that's a different ship of the same type.

By the way, sorry for the double post. Forgot to edit the other one.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  7. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    So far, it seems

Onderon
    Young Jedi
    Revival
    Droids/Commando
    Clovis/Padmé
    Mauldalore
    Ahsoka/Ventress

8. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Ugh, I wish Ahsoka looked like she was struggling.

9. Hero of Tukayyid

Hero of Tukayyid Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2012
    Were teased about a Yoda flashback episode at the end? I remember Filoni talking about wanting to do a flashback episode and Lucas disagreeing.

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    This episode was alright. For the conclusion to the arc it wraps things up well enough, but it could have played out better, mostly in terms of pacing and the distribution of events. Hondo was once again the highlight, and got some really good development via whatsherfaceadigallialookalike. Some good droid action too.
    Okay, I'll grant you that one. She wasn't totally inept this time 'round. :p Though an ancient Jedi teaching vessel was destroyed under her watch. [face_whistling]

Billy_Dee_Binks I liked seeing the spider walk too; very creepy, especially from the youngster's perspective.

11. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    This was such an awesome episode, great seeing the return of Slave 1! I know we don't see Boba this season, but hopefully we can see Boba and Hondo together at some point to get his ship back. Seemed like Grievous was almost toying with Ahsoka like he knew he was more powerful and was enjoying having the upper hand against a Jedi. The scene of the Republic fleet at the end with all the ships flying in front of the camera felt so Star Wars made the hair on the back of my neck stand up, great great episode!

12. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Fantastic end to an arc, it was great seeing Hondo having Firespray ship, pretty awesome.

I really enjoyed the ending, it'd be interesting to see Katooni hanging around with Hondo after Order 66, if she could make it to him.

13. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    She will die during Order 66.

It would be interesting to see Anakin killing those young Jedi.

14. Cary_the_Brave

Cary_the_Brave Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 5, 2012
    Where's your Ahsoka to protect you know, younglings?

15. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    That was some excellent foreshadowing. There was probably some significance to the lingering shot of Katooni and Hondo at the end, but it's obviously going to be open-ended. I wouldn't put it past TCW to show Katooni failing to escape the Purge despite being the only youngling with nascent aspirations outside the Jedi Order, just to twist the knife. She's the "Echo" of the group in more ways than one. In the Young Jedi arc, she was the only youngling who had a somewhat defined character arc in isolation from the others from beginning to end, much like how Echo was the most prominent of the Domino Squad clones after Hevy's death and before Counter Attack. This isn't a one-to-one comparison, naturally. The group collectively had a journey to undertake, but past The Gathering (in which all the younglings had their specific character arcs), only Petro was returned to in the later episodes as much. Speaking of Petro, he didn't get his comeuppance for his earlier insubordination. That was one of the few plot threads left loose. Or perhaps the temporary experience of defeat in A Necessary Bond knocks some humility into him. Byph seems to have overcome his fears by this episode. I recall seeing Ahsoka have to restrain him from charging Grievous and suffering the same fate as Sha'a Gi.

There's nothing wrong per se with focusing more on some characters than on others, particularly when they all got satisfying conclusions at various points.

Oh, and the most prominent youngling characters turn out to be the human and the near-human. I'm glad that Christian Taylor approves of Human Power Galaxy Wide. :p

Hondo was his usual self. He also goes through some character development, mellowing out to some extent and suffering a major blow to his ego at the hands of Grievous. It's easy to see why the Hondo we see in Revival behaves the way he does.

Grievous had another Massacre. He fails to kill the Jedi, but that isn't his primary objective. He successfully destroys Hondo's ability to be a thorn in Dooku's side. His fight against Ahsoka showed that he is capable of wearing down his opponent. In the final duel before Slave I arrives, Ahsoka is visibly struggling to even parry all of Grievous' blows. Gungi's look of terror as Grievous spider-walks through the dust cloud was good to see. It marked him out as a threat to the protagonists rather than a bit of eye candy and a punchline.

As has been said before, it seems the Jedi run and hide as they always do. They're cowards... or at least not stupid.

Another good episode, certainly one of TCW's very best. Well done, Christian Taylor.

16. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Trust as we have seen can always be broken in the GFFA.

17. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    She did.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Seems I hadn't noticed the Twilight-like wreckage in the canyon back in August- but my earlier comments about the concept art were still correct: it wasn't part of the chase. ;)

I also loved the Genndy-style flip-throw Grievous did to Ahsoka. That was a detail I had forgotten about this episode

A few do die- at least one dies from blasterfire when they all barge out of the base on foot (before Hondo starts chopping droids with his sword) and at least one more died during the canyon chase.

19. Cary_the_Brave

Sep 5, 2012
    Did you manage to get anything on the droid arc that is worth hearing?

20. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    You're a monster.

21. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

He is indeed. :p

Katooni is her group's "Echo" in more ways than one. She has the relative prominence and the less gregarious personality, so a shocking death would be fairly appropriate.

You could also compare her to Waxer, who also demonstrated apparent aspirations beyond his duty and died to show the horror of a brutal turn of events. Because she has the hope of falling in with Hondo's crew, Katooni's death would be particularly tragic like Waxer's was.

22. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    The adorableness of these younglings make me hate Anakin Skywalker even more. I hope that Ahsoka is able to kill Anakin before he does what he does in RotS.
    She was in a tube top, short skirt, white tights, and much younger at that meeting. Grievous was likely too focused on trying to add another lightsaber to his collection to bother remembering much about her.

cwustudent and Order66Survivor like this.
  23. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    Are we finally done with the Jedi kids? :confused:

24. Cary_the_Brave

Sep 5, 2012
    Si Senor.

25. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4