main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Oya manda!: The Mandalorian/Republic Commando Fan Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by The_Mandalorian_, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    They seem to have examples of plenty of other species, thanks to their penchant for adoption, so I would agree!

2. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    By a close margin of 3 to 2(invoking our rules regarding a nomination counting as a vote), Rachel Bilson has been chosen to portray Laseema!

[​IMG]

Commander_Ducky and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I am alright with this outcome. [face_peace]

Commander_Ducky likes this.
  4. Mayla

Mayla Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    Hullo guys, I'm hoping you can clear something up for me.

A friend loaned the Han Solo Trilogy to me about a week ago. I'm about halfway through the second book, but I've come across a really odd statement at the beginning of Chapter 8:
    Once, years ago, the man had been a Journeyman Protector named "Jaster Mereel." That had been before he killed a man, and paid the price for his crime. Now he had no name save the one he had adopted for himself--Boba Fett.
    And... wait, what? o_O

I just finished reading Open Seasons, so this doesn't really make sense to me. I can't say that I'm surprised that there might be discrepancies between Open Seasons (and AOTC) and a book published back in 1997, but I am curious to see if this was ever explained/resolved? :) And I apologize if this seems lazy... I'm just really leery of checking it out on Wookieepedia because it's so easy to run into spoilers there, and I've been doing pretty good about avoiding them so far.

BultarSwan likes this.
  5. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Mayla, from what I can tell Jaster was originally supposed to be Boba Fett's real name but that got retconned after AOTC and the true origins of Boba Fett were revealed. As a part of the retcon Boba would sometimes use the name of Jaster Mereel as an alias, probably out of respect for the man or just to cause general confusion. ;)

[​IMG]

6. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Once upon a time, there was an idea that Boba Fett was actually the disgraced Journeyman Protector, Jaster Mereel. However, that had to be changed when Lucas came along with his own ideas of Boba's history which we see in Episode II. Therefore, some retcons we required.

Essentially, what was said to have been Boba's history was instead credited to the actual Jaster Mereel, whom you read about in Open Seasons. Boba, and even Jango, would adopt Mereel's name as an alias throughout their lives, in honor of their adopted father and grandfather. In a cruel twist of fate, however, while he was himself employed as a Protector under the Jaster alias, Boba found himself following in his grandfather's footsteps when he too killed a superior officer for reasons of his own, only to be exiled from Concord Dawn as well. What started as a canon mix up ended up being a case of tragic cyclical history, which in turn allowed both versions to maintain legitimacy.

7. Mayla

Mayla Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    Ahhha, got it. Thank you both!

8. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Onto more casting!

Lets cast Tallisibeth Enwandung-Esterhazy, bette known as Scout!

[​IMG]

A Jedi Padawan during the Clone Wars, Tallisibeth's greatest strengths were tenacity and determination. Despite having a relatively weak connection to the Force she constantly proved those who doubted her wrong and proved to many that Force strength was not the only ability of value to the Jedi. It was of little surprise that Scout survived Order 66 found her way to the Skirata Clan's hidden encampment on Mandalore. There she made friends quickly but never allowed her new surroundings cloud her dream of becoming a Jedi.

So here we go, who should we cast to play the part of Scout?

9. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Yeah, that picture, I don't envision her looking anything like that :p

Commander_Ducky likes this.
  10. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    As she didn't make it for Etain, I'd like to propose Molly Quinn!

[​IMG]

Zeta1127 and Robimus like this.
  11. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    I'm going to nominate Saoirse Ronan from Hanna.

[​IMG]

12. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    How about Lily Cole?
    [​IMG]

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Nah, Saoirse Ronan from The Lovely Bones is way better. :p
    [​IMG]

(this doesn't count as my nomination btw :p)

14. Commander_Ducky

Commander_Ducky Jedi Master star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    Well, she's supposed to be the spitting image of Etain...

[​IMG][​IMG]

So I guess in that sense the artists did a good job.

Unfortunately, I don't imagine either of them to look even remotely like their respective pictures. :p

15. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Hanna strikes relative bad ass that would slap an armlock on someone and force a submission, or do whatever it takes to win a fight. Of course I don't know about Lovely Bones, but that picture doesn't quite look quite intense enough :p

16. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Going to nominate Dakota Fanning for this role. Though Scout is supposed to look alot like Etain and we cast the lovely Emma Stone there, and no one we have nominated (including mine) looks anything like her. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Scout is supposed to be about 17, or thereabous, isn't she?

18. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    More like 13 or 14.

19. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    That sounds about right, but I don't have a reference handy.

EDIT. I always had between 15-17 in my head as her aproximate age. Again, I have no reference for that.

[​IMG]

20. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Nah, she was definitely a young teenager in Yoda: Dark Rendezvous.

21. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    "By the time she turned thirteen, she had all but given up hope of becoming a Jedi"

And so Scout was an orphan, an aging apprentice with no master anymore.

Based on those I'd say Scout was likely 13-14, likely closer to 14 - though she could be older. The narrative of her story doesn't work well if she is close to the age of the other apprentices.

As for Kal's assessment of her looks, I suspect Kal was being very general and also was affected by Etain's still recent death - unless Karen had the notion that Scout was a clone of Etain :p Maybe a plot point she didn't get a chance to finish? That sure would be a popular idea [face_devil]

22. Commander_Ducky

Commander_Ducky Jedi Master star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    It wasn't just Kal, Lord Mirdalan also mistook Scout for Etain. I feel like we were meant to take the description of their physical similarities at face value. :p

23. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    When does that happen in the retconned post-TCW timeline, Todd? If early, then there's the better part of two to three years to add on - that's how I came up with my guesstimate of her age circa Order 66.

24. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    That's very unclear, Tim, because of its inclusion of Asajj. Her altered story raises several problems. The Essential Reader's Companion places it at 19 BBY, where it was before, but I don't know how much of that Asajj plot was developed when the ERC was written. I mean, the war is only 3 years, so if anything she could be as old as 17, approaching 18 in 501st, if Yoda: DR were to take place in 22 BBY.

25. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    As you say, clear as mud! Perhaps we could politely ask Jason, or someone else who has contact with PH and/or LC, to ask for a definitive answer! Thanks for the info!