main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What if Lucas is a Genius!?!?!

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 2, 2012.

1. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Very eloquently said and I couldn't say it better myself.

I will add (like I have in a bunch of other threads) I don't think many people grasp how difficult it was to do what Lucas did. He bucked the system at every point in the beginning of his career. He risked so much just believing in what he thought was right, to go up against the directors guild, production companies, Hollywood and society in general. Not just in Star Wars, but in movie production. When something couldn't be done, he invented a way to do it, example: ILM.. Better sound. Ground breaking FX. He revolutionized movie making, and almost ANY movie you like now a days most likely was touched by something Lucas did in the past.

And to the PT haters: I remember the "Dark Times", after 1983 and before 1996. SW was all but forgotten. Sure there were a few hardcore fans left (me included) but it was not considered mainstream at all anymore. There were a few games, books, etc. It wasn't until Lucas released the Special Editions and re-infused Star Wars into society. But that came at a price. He was bashed for "changing the originals". Then he was bashed for the PT.

For all the haters, they have no clue that the only reason they have a forum to bash George in is because he brought Star Wars back! He made Star Wars relevant again. And all he gets is crap from people. If it wasn't for the PT and eventually TCW you wouldn't have 4 year old kids running around with lightsabers wearing Ahsoka and Obi-Wan shirts.

Lucas is a genius, and I doubt we'll see anyone like his kind for a very long time. I hope Disney understands the shoes they are trying to fill.

-NaTaLie- and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  2. Hero of Tukayyid

Hero of Tukayyid Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2012
    "For all the haters, they have no clue that the only reason they have a forum to bash George in is because he brought Star Wars back!'"
    If somebody else would had inherited the franchise because he died in a car accident the same could had happened.

3. My favorite Ithorian

My favorite Ithorian Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 6, 1999
    It's a bit of a futile debate.

Maybe GL is a genius, if having a few good ideas for a sci-fi movie makes a person a genius. I really loved the OT, I thought the PT had its moments but overall was disappointing. To me personally that isn't enough to qualify as a genius. To others, these things might make him a genius, that's fine.

4. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Truer words have never been spoken.
    And I'm speaking from experience, too.o_O

LawJedi likes this.
  5. Jeff Vader

Jeff Vader Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    I saw a pic on another thread with GL wearing a Han Shot First T Shirt. Thats the kind of self deprecating humour that makes me love the guy. He knows the hornets nests he stirs up, he participated in Robot Chicken and sent himself up. He's not this unfeeling guy who doesnt give a crap about the fans. He's created a massive universe and tipped cinema on its head in 77. Genius? Maybe. Icon that shaped the way I view films and sci fi/fantasy in general? Definitely.

Billy_Dee_Binks likes this.
  6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    If he cared about fans so much, he should have changed the scene back to the original version when he had the chance.

7. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Caring about the fans does not mean capitulating to them.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It would be a capitulation to good taste.

9. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    ... which is subjective by definition. So no.

LawJedi likes this.
  10. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    George Lucas is a genius. But he's is not as much of a genius, as the other George, George Georgey Carlin..................

[​IMG]

11. GeekFurious

GeekFurious Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2012
    George may be a genius... but no. He didn't plan all this out so that the PT would tie in with these new movies.

12. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    There is the possibility that he looked back into the previous movies and found small points that could be brought back in the sequels, making it look like he planned this from the beginning.

Either way, it's impressive. =D=

13. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    How could you possibly know or even guess that? He's had a concept for 7-9 in the back of his mind for decades, as witnessed by Hamill, Kurtz and others (either dePalma or Coppola, memory fails me). I dispute your assertion and espepcially the confidence with which you state it.

14. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    By any estimation Lucas is a genius. I don't think someone can accomplish in life, from scratch, what he did without having that quality.

Count Yubnub and phatdude1138 like this.
  15. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think to some degree he did; he may have had a general idea of where he wanted to go with it all.

I think he was pretty much putting us on with all of that "there will never be another SW" stuff; he never had any plans of ending the SW legacy at 6 movies.

I think part of that was trolling all of the geeks that had trolled HIM for so long on the internet.

16. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    this is not a thread about George Carlin.

stop spamming, stop Trolling.

tsunami1138 likes this.
  17. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I think so, too. There was a quote from him earlier this year, even, that he wasn't going to make any more. But the deal must have been in the works then already; 4B deals don't happen overnight. So it's obvious, in retrospect, that he was being facetious.

18. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I think he's had some idea of where he wanted to go with the ST from very early on, so I have no doubt that there have been many seeds planted throughout the saga for if/when it ever came to pass.

As for whether or not he's a genius... I'd think George Lucas was a genius even if the only film he had ever made was THX 1138. The Star Wars saga (and American Graffiti for that matter) only proves me right.

19. GeekFurious

GeekFurious Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2012
    It is easy. I use logic. George was done with Star Wars movies. He even said so in one of those recent interviews. So how could anyone deduce that he had this master plan all along when even he says he didn't?

You can dispute whatever you like but I am confident saying it because it is what George himself asserts.

20. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Yes, your logic is flawless. I mean it's not like George Lucas has ever changed his mind or said anything that he ended up contradicting.

21. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I don't know about any "master plan" but I do know that a 4B deal isn't signed in one day—and that in retrospect, he was obviously planning all of this already when he made that comment. Simple explanation: he was having a laugh. I actually really like his sense of humor. Mostly.

22. Barth

Barth Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Does anyone seriously doubt that Lucas is a genius? He is a super-genius. A brilliant story-teller and story-maker-upper. He created the characters for Star Wars and Indiana Jones and Willow and many more. He was shrewd businessman to take a pay-cut as director for Star Wars so that he could completely own the merchandising rights, which made him tons of money. He is a master of framing shots and in editing. He made movies that many have tried to imitate without success.

So yeah, he is a little weak at times in writing and directing, but you can't be 100% on everything! I love the PT except for a few scenes with Anakin and Padme where I just think the chemistry is not there, but other than that, the PT is brilliant!

What a lot of casual moviegoers completely miss about Star Wars is that its the first movie saga, to my knowledge, that has a thematic structure. The trilogies parallel each other and in doing so compare and contrast and highlight certain points. Someday, he will be recognized for this to a greater extent. Yes, he is a genius.

-NaTaLie- likes this.
  23. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    No, what you're describing there is personal, subjective opinion. As to the facts, we have first-hand accounts from Mark Hamill and Gary Kurtz regarding Lucas's plans for 7-9 in the late 70s/early 80s. Lucas in the 90s/2000s saying there's no story after ROTJ does not magically erase the conversations he had with his producer and star 30 years prior. Those ideas still exist, existed at the time the PT was being made, and for all you or I or anyone knows they could have made their way in subtle foreshadowing/reference into the prequels. Or they might not have. Your confident assertion that they definitely did not is biased and not evidential.

24. Sith Iratus

Sith Iratus Jedi Master

Nov 24, 2012
    Say what you want,with out Mr Lucas most of here would of had different child hood.
    What i mean as in memories,the excitement of opening up your millennium falcon on christmas day etc.
    the man created a world we all love,whether you like the direction he went with the prequels or not,he invented a passion for many of us.
    and for that i will always thank the man.

LawJedi likes this.
  25. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    Well Met =D=