main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Affirmative Action in SW

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Hero of Tukayyid, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Hero of Tukayyid

Hero of Tukayyid Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2012
    Were there ever such programs in SW? I could imagine it happening in Pelly's Empire. Do we even get a hint of such programs existing?

2. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    I don't think anything has been directly mentioned.

In Rogue Squadron they chose 2 pilots from thyferra because they needed bacta deals . . . but that's completely different i guess

3. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Yes. Why do you think there were so many Mon Cals in leadership positions in the Rebel fleet? They needed the Mon Cal support, so they instituted a quota of leaders they had to fill with Mon Cal officers. You even see them fudging the numbers, with Pashna Starkiller being called a Mon Calamari in a few sources when he was really human :D

Ulicus , Valin__Kenobi and Zorrixor like this.
  4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    "Ooryl is token Gand."

That line alone says plenty.

5. Hero of Tukayyid

Nov 23, 2012
    It is probably because the mon calls contributed a significant part of the fleet. i don't remember too many mon cals taking part in ground combat during that era.

Some worlds might had implemented AA after the Pius Dea crusades for a while.

6. Hero of Tukayyid

Nov 23, 2012
    Is that from a Rogue Squadron book?

7. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Yeah, one of them - without looking it up I couldn't say which one the quote comes from for certain, but it could be from "Rogue Squadron" itself. Ooryl is there right from the very start.

In fact, both Stackpole's and Allston's X-Wing books have plenty of non-humans in the Squadrons - and Wedge doesn't seem to have much time for anyone who's even slightly species-ist. Nor does Corran - if you see remarks linking him to otters on this forum, it's because he dated a Selonian for a while - and only really stopped because she turned out to be allergic to his higher-than-normal skin acidity, and he turned out to be mildly allergic to her fur!

8. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    According to a popular Tatooine holonet pundit, Lando was made chief administrator of the Bespin mining facility due to affirmative action.

Manisphere and TrakNar like this.
  9. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I've actually wondered why there haven't been more conflicts that are based on inter-species hate.

10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Well, there were the Rodian clan wars that happened mostly off-camera. And according to one source, Gand findsmen can become extremely petty and have that escalate into war until another sect steps in and tells them all to behave. And then there's the Mon Calamari/Quarren unrest. And we can't forget the Yuuzhan Vong, who are essentially biotech Daleks.

11. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Don't forget the Yevethra in BFC --- and wasn't there some Kubaz/Verpine trouble at one point? (a ship load of Verpine body-parts comes to mind).

Zeta1127 likes this.
  12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    There was a problem with Kubaz trafficking Verpine corpses. And the trouble with Kubaz doesn't stop there, as there are plenty more insectoid species for them to ogle hungrily.

CT-867-5309 and Zeta1127 like this.
  13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    And suddenly I like the Vong more than I did previously. I'm very easily manipulated.

Zeta1127 and TrakNar like this.
  14. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Said pundit also contests Lando's birth certificate as being fraudulent.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Actually, I have a certain source that says that President Leia Organa Solo was born on Polis Massa. :eek:

16. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    She clearly got that position to cater to illegal Asteriodite immigrants.

17. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Kinda funny considering daleks are living beings driving cylindrical tanks