main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.9 - A Necessary Bond - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Nov 20, 2012.

1. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    Thank you. :)

Order66Survivor likes this.
  2. Cary_the_Brave

Cary_the_Brave Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 5, 2012
    Oh so now you reveal a brilliant idea I could've done to spare my decaying life in the four weeks of the Onderon arc? :mad:

3. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    LOL. I enjoyed the Onderon arc for the most part, but It could have (should have) been condensed into a 3-parter, certainly.

QuangoFett and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  4. Cary_the_Brave

Sep 5, 2012
    Same, but A War on Two Fronts was just training, Front Runners I don't think was even necessary, The Soft War had a bad start but a good finish, and then topped off with a really good ending.

5. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Front Runners was dispensable IMO, the other three were fine.

6. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    ERMAHGERD DIS WUZ A TRRIBL EPISODE. annoying kids agn, grivus should've destroyd them all; i cant bliv failoni and co. r makin him so weak. and im so frickin sick of hondo and how his gagn are all racist!

Kidding, of course. I'll post my actual thoughts on this later...maybe. :p

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  7. Cary_the_Brave

Sep 5, 2012
    I like how on the last sentence you spelled everything correctly.

8. Order66Survivor

Order66Survivor Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012
    I hate that I understood it all

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  9. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    So... what was with that last glance between Katooni and Hondo before he left? Was that a Pedobear moment, or...

Or, in Episode VII, might we meet Katooni, leader of the Weequay Pirates?!

InterestingLurker likes this.
  10. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Just substitute Katooni and Hondo for Rottenbeard and Stephanie here, and you're all set:

11. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Well... looks like I get to play a little devil's advocate here. What's happening to me? I liked the episode but at the same time felt a little underwhelmed by the arc now that its over. I watched all four parts together with this one for the first time at the end with a friend among us who felt the same way.

This was an exciting episode. The crash at the beginning was among the most brutal so far. The invasion looked cool. Once again Hondo steals the show with probably some of the best quotes this series has to offer (from a comedic standpoint anyways) not to mention kicking ass, his meeting with Grievous was a highlight, and the big battle was cool. Grievous actually still kicked ass here although he looked pretty dumb yelling at Slave I. Him coming at the younglings was scary and the fight with Ahsoka was really fun to watch.

While this arc did a great job giving development to Hondo, Ahsoka who is so much more mature and mellow than ever, the cool lightsaber building droid, and even Hondo's minions. It felt like most of the kids never really developed any. The only youngling who really develops at all is Katooni. Katooni by the end of the arc is confident and seems wise beyond her years and a good candidate to become reoccuring. Still that's a shame to me since the Youngling who really grew on me over the course of the arc also became one of the least visible as the story progressed, Zatt. Gunji, Byph, and Ganodi might as well be props and don't even get me started on Petrol who never learned a damn thing the entire arc.

The ending was super sweet. I liked the shot at the end with all the sabers together. Almost felt like a homage to a certain something I love. Serious Katooni run away and join the pirates. I still have a bad feeling for these kids just connecting things in the trailer together for fun and worry they may not even make it so far as the Jedi Purge so in a way I'm glad the show didn't do a real good job of endearing any of them to me. Not how Numa or the Lawquane kids became endeared to me over a single episode. I'm sorry to say the over all arc detracts from this episode for me. This gets a 7 from me to match my final score for the arc. Shame since the last two are rated 9 on their own with me.

12. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Good episode.

I know its weird, but i was kinda hoping the ships engines would not start.

Perfect rational reasoning by Ahsoka there. That was pretty damn good, actually.

Seems Hondo can never get away from being honorable. And i like Tennant droid better than 3PO at the moment. "Too aggressive, far too aggressive"

Was expecting one of the younglings to die actually, partly to learn a lesson perhaps about the value of life - but on the other hand, i think it was fair that they all survived.

And the look that Ahsoka gave them before she ran to the ship was almost like a "should i go - or should i stay" look.

So the droid apparently fostered Master Yoda on finding his lightsaber crystal.....bit of a retcon there when it comes to the EU.

AND GRIEVOUS MADE USE OF HIS LEGS - YES

13. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Love Lazytown.

14. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    I also caught on this, but I didn't really see it as a problem. Not every character needs to be focused on. There's no point stretching out a character arc with dramatic padding, and most of the younglings had theirs resolved in the first episode, as the Jedi doctrines are supposed to be intended. They're textbook Jedi, not like the dysfunctional Domino Squad clones, and the challenges they face are group challenges. Katooni, on the other hand, is still something of a screw-up for not being able to build her lightsabre, so her confidence issues were returned to and resolved by the end. Petro's development might be more implicit. Contrast his ridiculous assertion that he'd take on Grievous given the chance (A Test of Strength) with the way he falls in line, hides behind Ahsoka with the rest of them when Grievous does threaten them and generally stops being an overbearing braggart when faced with a genuinely formidable and deadly situation (A Necessary Bond). He also feels the sting of failure with the rest of the group when they get temporarily captured.

Oh, and Human Power Galaxy Wide. :p

However, I can see why you came to your opinion.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They didn't screen those episodes at C6- just the Maul premiere and the YJ movie. I don't believe they screened too much in the way of clips, but I didn't catch every TCW panel.

I'd have to double check the saber count, but were they maybe making a Republic logo?

[​IMG]

16. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    It seemed like it. Obi-Wan, six younglings and Ahsoka (with one of her lightsabres) made eight. The angles between the sabres were not uniform, but the Republic symbol was probably the intended pattern.

17. Cary_the_Brave

Sep 5, 2012
    What I meant was did they talk about what it was basically and a brief synopsis?

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Not that I know of- if they did, it was at a panel I didn't attend.

19. Cary_the_Brave

Sep 5, 2012
    Oh, so you didn't attend the whole panel then? I see.

20. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

YUP! A great way to end an arc. Much better than other arcs have ended their episodes. Some instances of bad endings was the face of Ahsoka at the end of Front Runners or the faces of Fives/Jess or how Slaves of the Republic ended with a closing in on Anakin's MEH face...

This arc has had a great string final shots IMO.

21. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    There must always be a yin to the yang.

22. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    1. The arc itself was a little imbalanced & unfocused. I could have lived without the action stuff. I would actually have preferred to just see young Jedi in training. Hondo ended up stealing the show.

2. Despite that, it was overall a unique story with some outstanding action and strong, new characters.

3. The first and fourth episodes were the strongest. ANB had a great balance of action and story.Hondo definitely ran away with the story.

The Gathering *****
    A Test Of Strength ***
    Bound For Rescue **1/2
    A Necessary Bond *****

rumblewagon likes this.
  23. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Its interesting how The Gathering focused on the younglings individually, while the following adventure forced them to work as a team in order to be effective. Yes, Hondo did steal the show (to my dismay, as it was supposed to be a youngling arc). Getting sick of Hondo. And Ahsoka's moment when she had to convince the pirates to join with the younglings was significant: she's learning to negotiate and find a peaceful way to solve a common problem. She's becoming quite the leader.
    Nice connection with the logo! My only major complaint is the absence of the Force theme at the end!!!
    My one minor complaint is, R2's aggressive crash could have killed everyone. Poor judgment, R2. You wouldn't look so cute covered in youngling guts.

24. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    this was a awesome episode i give it 10/10 and i give this arc 9/10

25. Order66Survivor

Order66Survivor Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012
    Lol at R2. And yes , Hondo was entertaining but I am also very very very very tired of him

Dare I say , I miss Padmé