main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Combat Evolved: The Halo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by BISMARCK, May 21, 2002.

1. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    I'd been annoyed at the rank thing too. Not sure where my copy of Reach is, but someone pointed out he'd made it to Master Chief as of getting the Mjolnir armor (with the first deployment against the Covenant carrier where they lost the first spartan.) As they've got the armor, this takes place after that, so they're at least consistent.

They originally ran through it with the regular Chief voice actor, but it made the final scene too weird. With his voice and showing the other spartans as teens, they opted to go with the different voice. At least it was nowhere as deep/veteran-sounding as Steve Downes.

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Maybe the guy voicing MC is the same guy under the costume. At least he sort of sounded the same as he did back in X2.

3. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Who else has got it? I'm having a blast with Spartan Ops, which was unexpected. It's pretty much like a small campaign in bit bite sized pieces. Perfect for when you want some Halo 4 action but don't want to do the campaign or multiplayer. My only gripe is that once you die you tend to die a lot more. If you die near the respawn point it's because there's bad guys there, so you respawn in the same place and die again. Oh, and there's an achievement for surviving a certain part in one of them, I didn't get it because I fell off the edge and died. [face_laugh] :_| [face_laugh]

Still, the campaign is excellent, the multiplayer is excellent, Spartan Ops is excellent, and everything else is excellent too.

4. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Had some issues with Amazon--should be arriving today though.

5. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I've no complaints, except that perhaps Skullless Legendary is not as punishing as in previous games. :p I guess turning them all on will provide a true challenge to some. I've been taking the campaign slowly since I want to get Legendary out of the way and so far I'm at the beginning of the fourth mission.

Now is it just me or has Chief uttered more lines in the first three missions of this game than he did in the previous three games? He even speaks to Cortana amid missions whereas before that only happened in cutscenes and Cortana served as the main narrator. It's funny and refreshing at the same time, since I really dislike playing mute ******** even in FPS.

I tried Spartan Ops last night and it is definitely refreshing. Far more fun than Firefight and nearly as punishing. I can probably get my MP jollies there since I’m not the biggest fan of standard Halo MP. But just a few days in, I can tell this is the kind of Halo game Reach should’ve been.

6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    As I suspected, everyone was busing playing Halo 4 instead of posting here. I plan on getting Halo 4 soon, but I wasn't going to get a new game from GameStop if at all possible. So instead I finally got a used copy of Halo: Reach, since I couldn't find a new copy elsewhere and it was the last Halo game besides Halo: CE and Halo 2 that I didn't have.

7. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Played a couple of hours of it last night. Really enjoyed the opening and I'm looking forward to finding out what's happened in the four years since Master Chief went into cryo.

If I have one criticism it's that there's not very much ammo in the game...

8. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Finished my Legendary run last night. That last mission is a pain in more ways than one, but the opening part certainly feels like a classic X-Wing mission, and you can't go wrong with a little Star Wars in Halo. :p

That said, I want Halo 5 NOW.

Ulicus likes this.
  9. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Halo 4 multiplayer is not the same as previous Halo multiplayers. It has a lot of armour customisation like in Halo Reach, which I really like, and you change your starting weapons too. There's no really advantage in any of the weapons though, so it's not like anyone has an unfair advantage. The ordinance drops add a lot to it too. You get to choose from three random things when you've got enough points. Sometimes they're good and sometimes they're not but it adds variety and can help a lot if you get the right thing at the right time.

10. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I'll have to disagree there, moossemousse. Newcomers to the game may find themselves in a very unfair disadvantage going up against higher leveled folks and the custom loadouts and armor abilities they may bring to any match. That can be solved by playing a lot of the standard MP and Spartan Ops but they may not know that at first.

Yeah, the game is more fast paced now and there's a lot of COD inspired elements to it all. But you know what? It still feels fresh regardless. Also feels much, MUCH more fun than Reach. But above all, it's still Halo.

11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Question re: spoilers. Is it worth me waiting until Xmas when I get this, or shall I just spoil myself? :p

12. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    DON'T SPOIL YOURSELF. :p

13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    That was ****ing cool. I thought I was over Halo (hell, I held off from picking H4 up for like ten days!). Guess not. And, in this age of wondering what it means for canon/continuity when someone new takes over a pre-existing franchise, it's interesting that 343 have delivered something that treats the EU material with what seems to be great deal more reverence than the original showrunners did. (Reach was pretty much Halo TCW, let's be honest)

And the Legendary bonus scene made me cream myself.

Yeah, Halo 5 can't come soon enough.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  14. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    I really like where this series is going.

While part of me would rather have the original HALO:CE idea of them just being humans, or with H3's idea of them finding humanity at the last minute before firing the Array, I do think their fleshing out the past is going to make the future games very compelling.

The only thing I don't like is their altering the Forerunner architectural style, but I can live with it because the new stuff is cool to look at in its own way.

15. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I preferred things back when the accepted wisdom was that the Forerunners were ancient humans, yeah, and I'm not especially fond of Bungie backtracking on it -- especially since they backtracked in terminals, while leaving Guilty Spark in the game to say "YOU ARE FORERUNNER" (because, yeah, that's not going to confuse anyone...). That being said, the current status quo is pretty damn interesting in itself.

16. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I don't think Bungie ever hinted that the Forerunners were ancient humans. As 343GS stated right before the YOU ARE FORERUNNER line, humanity is simply inheritor of all they left behind (i.e., their technology -possibly thanks to the Librarian - and even the very Mantle of Responsibility itself).

However, the story told on Halo 4 in regards to Didact and Librarian seriously contradict that told in the Halo 3 terminals. There we saw a tale of the Forerunner/Flood war which painted the sad end of a centuries old love story, whereas we now see those two ended their relationship in less than cordial ways. Or maybe what was told in the H3 terminals was just a bit of sanitized rewriting for the sake of salving the author's guilty conscience?

17. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    Some guy from Bungie that worked on Halo:CE has been quoted as saying that while working on that game, the general idea around the office was that the Forerunners were themselves just ancient humans. Really makes 343's "the last time you asked me, if it were my choice, would I?" line make total sense, instead of having to go for a non-literal interpretation now.

Also, the terminals from Halo 3 presented such a great tragic love story between the Didact and the Librarian. I still like their story now, but it feels a little overly complex. Then again that could be the result of Halo 4 trying to throw a trilogy of novels worth of back story into a few cutscenes and video terminals.

18. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    "You are the child of my makers, inheritors of everything they left behind: you are Forerunner" implies no more or less than humanity are the descendants of the Forerunner. Not to mention "Reclaimer" only really makes sense in the context of, well, reclaiming something.

Humanity aren't reclaiming the technology of the Forerunners and/or the Mantle if they never originally possessed it. That said, things can now be twisted around so it's a reference to the Reclaimation of ancient humanity's former status.

My understanding is that there are two Didacts. There's the original one, then the one created by the copy of the original's personality getting implanted into some other dude. The Didact of the Halo 3 terminals is, at least according to what I can gather via lurking various Halo forums, the latter, while the Didact in Halo 4 is the original. This would also serve as an explanation as to why the Halo 4 Didact's symbol differs from that of the Terminal Didact.

I don't know. As much as I felt like Halo 4 was more in step with all the peripheral material than previous titles, my working knowledge of the Halo EU is far from spectacular.

19. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Ok, points taken. However, the point can be made that ancient humanity's struggle against the Flood (mainly their purging of infected worlds) perhaps made them in the eyes of some Forerrunners - the Librarian included - as inheritors of the Mantle of Responsability. And perhaps that is why both the Monitors and the Librarian herself called humanity and the MC "Reclaimers", as in that they are the reclaimers/inheritors of said Mantle. Notice how the Didact never called John "Reclaimer"; in his eyes humanity is not worthy of the Mantle.

I have only the slightest knowledge of the plot of those Greg Bear novels but yes, I'm familiar with the two Didacts thing. However, that complicates things even further. If the original Didact was killed/executed, he can't be the one John freed on Requiem. But if the Bornstellar Didact was the one that fired the rings (as per the H3 terminals), was somewhat more sympathetic towards humanity and went to his grave (cryptum?) heartbroken over the loss of his wife and civilization, then it also makes little sense that guy was the antagonist of Halo 4. No, I think that 343 simply retconned the whole thing: there was just one Didact and the H4 terminals tell his story and how he ended up in Requiem. If there's one thing the Halo video games will always be famous for is how they regard or outright disregard certain elements of their EU (see Reach).

20. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I got Halo 4 for my birthday on Tuesday, and I stayed up extremely late and beat the campaign on Normal that night. All I can say is Halo 4 is an excellent continuation of the series. Now I seriously need to get Xbox Live setup.

I seriously need to read Halo: The Fall of Reach to figure out what got contradicted by Halo: Reach.

21. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    In broad strokes, REACH the game portrays a month long assault on the planet culminating in its eventual conquest/glassing and the Pillar of Autumn's fateful jump towards Installation 04. In the final chapters of the novel (which mostly deals with the Spartans origins and the start of the Human/Coventant War), Reach is assaulted and glassed by the Covenant in just one day, with no prior engagements/skirmishes prior to that date. In fact, many chapters of the novel occur on dates in which nothing worthwhile was going on the planet whereas in the game the whole planet was deep into Winter Contingency. Cortana was not split in half or otherwise held by Halsey deep within some Forerunner facility, rescued by Spartan 3's that shouldn't have been there (let alone known to Dr. Halsey) nor did the Autumn land on a compromised planet to pickup said piece of AI that shouldn't have been there. I understand there was a new reprint of the novel that came out just as the game did, but I believe the many contradictions therein were not retconned or otherwise believably corrected.

22. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I am surprised no one has started a thread for this yet (I guess the new Battlefront game put everyone in shock). But we are getting Halo 5! After Halo 4 and Spartan Ops Season One where do you think the story is going.

StarWarsZombie likes this.
  23. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    To be honest I'm still trying to figure out where the story went in Halo 4...

24. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I bid farewell to Halo with #4. This whole Xbox One Fiasco simply ensures I won't fall off the wagon. :(:confused:

hunter77 likes this.
  25. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Was a Halo 5 reveal ever in doubt? When it comes to the Xbone it takes more than a pre-rendered trailer featuring Master Chief in a tatty old cloak to excite me.

darthcaedus1138 and hunter77 like this.