main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC A Battle of Words {A War of Kings OOC Thread}

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by spycoder9, Nov 18, 2012.

1. spycoder9

spycoder9 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2008
    Welcome to A Battle of Words, the A War of Kings OOC Thread! :D

Surely you know the gist of this. A nice place to relax, drink a swig of ale or orange citrus, for those of you under age (me!! :p ), and discuss the game of A War of Kings, commonly nicknamed WoK.

Anyone is welcome, even those who aren’t involved in the game currently. Old players, new players, even no-players.

The only rule that needs to be followed is: Make sure to keep any discussion other than WoK in Hoopers. Don’t want to clutter this thread with posts about the weather. :)

The links:
    (Note: the first link will log you out of this forum)

A War of Kings - Part 1
    A War of Kings - Part 2

2. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Do you do sake as well?

I'm here. :D

3. spycoder9

Jul 23, 2008
    I guess just this once I'll allow it. :p

Also, no updates tonight for anyone. :( School tomorrow, Thanksgiving coming up. Really busy. But I might be able to squeeze one in tomorrow before taking a small holiday vacation.

4. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    *walks in and looks around*

Nice place ya got here. Excellent.

Now Lorain can get some rest, while we waiting.
    *I;ll take an Ale, thank ye!*

Now, we can ponder the crazy king who seems to have lost his mind.
    :D

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Yeah, you can go ahead and pour me an ale as well. With the work that's ahead of me, I'll need it! :p

And how about that wedding, or rather, the wedding proposal. A certain Queen isn't going to be happy when she hears the news...

6. JediMasterAnne

JediMasterAnne Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    I imagine not. I look forward to seeing Emilia's reaction to that, and to the measures her husband is taking to stop said wedding.

7. spycoder9

Jul 23, 2008
    Well my Thanksgiving Break starts now! I'll probably be able to log on tomorrow, but after that not much. :D Hopefully when I return fully Friday, I'll have some more interesting posts to read. :)

8. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Just for the "method acting", guys, I might note I'm not going to read back through part one of the thread, mainly so I don't allow unconscious metagaming to creep into my posts. Kojiro's from right across the sea, he gets drunk a lot, and consequently he'll have very little idea of what the hell's going on in the Kingdom. :D

Trieste and spycoder9 like this.
  9. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    hehehe

Im FROM the kingdom..and dont have a clue either! Cept for crazy Kings....

:p
    ;)

Weeeee!

spycoder9 likes this.
  10. Lukes_Apprentice

Lukes_Apprentice Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2008
    So true meanwhile I'm waiting to make decisions that could change everything. It will be interesting to see what if anything I can do about the group near the razed castle. Decisions, decisions.

11. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    You know, you really should have all told me that this thread got started, oh, about a week ago here.

I've already mentioned this to HanSolo29 but I find it absolutely stunning that she hasn't read any of A Song of Ice and Fire, and yet every time I read Emilia she encapsulates so much of Cersei Lannister. Except--which is really scary--a more sane and circumspect Cersei. Which is why I am very afraid, more than I ever was of Beldak.

spycoder9 likes this.
  12. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Seriously, I've never seen or read any of the source material. I'm basing everything about Emilia off of what I would think would be fun and interesting to play. I had no idea who Cersei was when you first mentioned her and I actually had to google her just to understand who you were talking about! :p

Now that I'm in the game and seeing all the feedback, I am seriously considering checking it out. Do you guys recommend starting with the books or to dive right in with Game of Thrones?

13. spycoder9

Jul 23, 2008
    Sorry Trieste! I'll post a link in thread, but I think just about everyone's found it by now. :p

Han, I read the book and watched the series alongside it. Of course those are the only two seasons out now, but I just continued reading the books.

Also, just a head's up to anyone who hasn't received a PM from me yet (I'm still working on messaging everyone), I'll be putting up the WoK Library Thread in a few days. :) I've already been working out some family trees with Anne and Han, and about to start with Mitth. :D Fleshing out the world is a lot of work!

14. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    HanSolo29 when it comes to reading the books and watching the TV show, there are (understandably) two schools of thought.

Obviously, you could read the books first and then watch. This was advocated to me by a former pub trivia teammate who said he felt you got a deeper appreciation for who was who and what was going on if you understood the relations of people. And with such a large cast of characters, you'll probably be able to keep everyone straight...er (because it still does get confusing) when you read the books first.

The second, which was advocated by a random woman who happened to overhear me talking with a date about the show and took great exception to something I said (for those of you who are curious particularly it was
    that I didn't notice that Renly and the Knight of Flowers were gay in the book. She claimed I was "absolutely wrong" and that if you read the books closely it was "absolutely there". Which is of course just what you want to have someone interject into your conversation when you're on a date with an literature PhD student after having already established that you yourself studied literature in college.
    But I digress.), is that you should actually watch the show first. The truth is that there are a lot of differences from the books. Now, considering Martin's almost absurd length at times, they're never going to capture everything, even in an HBO series. However, there are things that happen in the series that just plain don't happen in the book. This woman felt that if you read the books first you'd watch the show and think, "Okay, when are they introducing this character, when is this happening, etc." and only get mad and disappointed when it didn't happen.

The other thing is that things that are in the books that are subtly hinted at you really, really get hit over the head with in the series. Oh, and there's a lot more making love in the show. In Hooper's someone mentioned there was too much and I said, "I don't think you can have too much of that." They said, "Watch the series and you'll see." And they were right. There's too much. It becomes pointless. And I won't make this into a full blown GoT digression since this is supposed to be about WoK, but I do have some opinions on how they've handled the subject.

Speaking of WoK...I have to say I really enjoy everyone's posts. If I don't have time to read when I see an update in the thread, I tuck it away in my back pocket, kind of like a treat for myself to read when I have a moment so I can truly savor it. :)

spycoder9 likes this.
  15. Jedi_padawan_leigh

Jedi_padawan_leigh Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    So this is where everyone is hiding :p

*pulls up a chair*

16. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Thanks, guys! I really appreciate the feedback! :)

It may be a little bit tough for me to get a hold of the series at the moment as I don't have HBO and I think Netflix has it listed as a very long wait. Short of biting the bullet and buying it straight up, I may have to hold off for a bit. I'm hoping Netflix gets it on streaming, but it doesn't seem like they have any other HBO series in that format, so I'm not optimistic. I guess all I can do is put it on my queue and wait.

Although, I have to admit, getting the books are very tempting. I think I'm going to add them to my Christmas list!

17. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Sadly, HBO is holding onto all their streaming content for their HBO Go service. But don't worry--we can all have fun with WoK in the meantime. ;)

18. spycoder9

Jul 23, 2008
    So, a WoK topic question for everyone, just to see what everyone thinks:

Who killed the old King Reynard?

Debate away. :D Eager to hear some opinions.

19. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    ...ummm...remind me about this? Because somehow I totally didn't know that somebody killed him.

20. spycoder9

Jul 23, 2008
    Well, a long time ago, he was poisoned and died in the night. It was easily discovered that he had been poisoned, but it was basically unable to decide who had done the deed. Of course, this led to the ascension of the current King Fenton Reynard to the throne. The options are limitless, considering suspects. I just wondered about anyone's ideas to the matter. No player knows. ;)

21. Jedi_padawan_leigh

Jedi_padawan_leigh Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    I want to say Fenton Reynard but I'm also thinking thats too obvious. Then again...if he has no qualms about invading the different regions and sacking / burning places like Harrowmont then it wouldn't be a stretch for him to bump off the former king, though I'm guessing he might have gotten someone else to do the dirty work for him.

22. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I was afraid of that! :(

As for the first King Reynard, I'm thinking along the same lines as leigh. Although, I may go as far as to say that someone set Fenton up - perhaps someone in the immediate household or through some kind of deal.

23. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, I've never watched the show, nor read the books. I am truly winging it in this game. Hopefully I am not making a travesty of things [face_nail_biting]

HanSolo29 likes this.
  24. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
  25. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    If I had to guess at who killed the previous king, it's going to be someone outside the royal family who saw a benefit to moving a new monarch onto the throne, perhaps one who foresaw that he might not be able to hold the kingdom together. After all, a lot of people could benefit from that. ;)