main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will Disney Shoot the ST Simultaneously???

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Echo-07, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Well, the POTC, LOTR, and Matrix movies al have their fans. I really enjoyed the Matrix sequels, for instance, despite what I perceive as some glaring flaws. I didn't really enjoy the third POTC movie, but hey, more power to those who did. And there are even people who think "The Two Towers" and "Return of the King" are great movies, despite the fact that those people are objectively wrong. [face_plain]

DarthBoba likes this.
  2. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    That's a matter of opinion really. I agree with the Matrix and BTF -- subsequent films were not as good. However, I liked The SW prequels, LOTR and the Pirates movies. I had fun and enjoyed them. If others want to critique the hell out of them and didn't enjoy them then I'm sorry for you.

Also, Matrix and BTF had one thing in common -- they were both written as singular stories. After the initial success two more scripts were written and then filmed sismultaneously, with releases in successive summers. One might consider that an example of why SW shouldn't be done that way, except that it appears that the scripts will be written simultaneously and finished before any filming takes place.

Lastly, several mentioned that SW usually had a few year gap between Episodes wich is true. BUT would it diminish SW at all if the ST took place as one large story broken up into 3 parts? (IE no gaps between Episodes.) IMO having gaps is irrelevent if the story is tight.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh yeah it's definitely a matter of opinion. I was just basing my assumptions off of the scores that these films got from Rottentomatoes.

4. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I generally don't listen to critics. Yes, I can see how film-making is considered an art open to critique, but I base my opinion on one thing -- did I enjoy it?

For the record I didn't like any of the Matrix films and really didn't get why they were so popular.

yodasbum likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Same here. I've watched plenty of "bad" movies and enjoyed them. But there are those that base their expectations off of what critics have to say about it.

6. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Consolidated productions save money (the primary reason for combining productions) by efficiently using resources (i.e. sets, locations, actors, etc). You need a good idea of what's needed for Episode 8/9 before starting the cameras. Shooting Episode 7, finishing, then starting up with Episode 8 and 9 makes little sense. For example, say Iceland will be used for scenes in both Episode 7 and 9. It's much much better to shoot all the Iceland scenes at once but to do that you need to have at the very least a treatment for Episode 9. I guess alot depends on how much GL wrote for the entire arc.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Lets not forget that the OT wasn't critically acclaimed when it premiered/ GL spoke many times sof getting "bad reviews" for those movies.

Well, my original post hinges this theory on the premise that Kasdan and Kinberg have in fact signed on to write and produce. IF that proves to be true then the whole story and all 3 scripts should be completed relatively close in time with each other. From reports I read, and they vary, Arndt wrote treatments for 789 based on GL's treatments for the ST trilogy.

All good speculation.

8. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    I've not met many other people who dislike The Matrix like me. I do get other people like it but it wasn't a film I enjoyed and I had to watch it over and again when I was an usher in 99. I have never bothered to watch the other two. However, The Mummy released the same summer was a B movie but I always find it fun to watch.

I don't listen to the critics either. I don't like LOTR (I do think they are well made though) I think that Shawshank is a fine film but overrated when it keeps placing on the best film ever lists. I love Hot Tub Time Machine but I understand why others don't like it.

9. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    ^ I was a projectionist in 98/99 and had to put the matrix together and screen it. I understand why the story about being in a matrix was different to some but overall I didn't find the movie enjoyable. The other two were worse.

I do happen to like Shawshank -- even had it in my collection back when I had a VHS collection before DVD's. One of the greatest of all-time??? Movies that I like and find influencial to me are hardly ever considered great movies -- Fight Club for instance. I loved The Professional (Leon) and never see that mentioned amongst best films . . .

10. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    Funny you should say that because I've been thinking the same thing. All I'm hoping for is a movie like the first Pirates-just a fun adventure movie with interesting characters. Nothing more. I'm not expecting ESB; there will never be anything like it again. It's like expecting Pearl Jam to release another album like Ten. It's not gonna happen.

As for the filming, I still think they aren't doing it until we hear otherwise. However I can see them changing their minds about it tho, and filming 8 and 9 together.

Echo-07 likes this.
  11. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Absolutely agree with you! Sometime things can't be duplicated. I can only speak for myslef but that sheer jy of watching the OT for the first time as a little kid will never be reproduced. I know this so i don't hold films and/or experinecs to that high level of expectation. Part of the reason I was thrilled then is because it was UNEXPECTED. Nowadays SW comes with tons of expectation, which is nearly impossible to meet.

As for POTC, I never in a million years thought a movie about a crappy Disney ride would be any good. Then all of the sudden it exploded. Everyone told me you have to see it. So I did with a bit of skepticim and you know what? I loved it. In fact I really enjoyed all 3 and I've even seen them multiple times.

My expectations of Ep 7 are that it will entertain me while advancing the story. Thus far, from everything I've read, I at least feel the story will be advanced.

12. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I wouldn't be surprised if the release schedule were accelerated. What made the STAR WARS Trilogy so state-of-the-art was that they worked on each film for about three years. Lucasfilm wasn't just working for each film, but working to advance filmmaking. They didn't rush anything or just settle because of a rushed schedule (and studio pressure). Most movies were done in less time.
    The Prequels were breaking new ground in CGI, so the three years between films wasn't just to keep a similar timeframe (on Rosie O'Donnell's show in 1999, I remember Lucas saying he wanted Episode 2 to come out in four years).
    Now though there's almost nowhere else to go. What use to take longer can be done faster, and it's become more common for a series of films to come out more frequently. Goofy comedies and horror movies use to be the only movies that put out a new installment every year, and Robert Zemeckis' experiment of releasing Back to the Future sequels about six months apart wasn't that much of a success.

Echo-07 likes this.
  13. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Back-to-back shooting can make sense given the original cast are no spring chickens (Ford is 70 isn't he?). John Williams is an octogenarian and even Lucas himself is approaching 70. He also has diabetes which unfortunately reduces one's lifespan (God forbid of course, I want him to live many more years and continue to contribute to his saga).

Echo-07 likes this.
  14. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    I had also wondered whether Episodes VII-IX might be shot back-to-back like LoTR. Thinking about it, though, I'm not sure whether there's really enough time before 2015 to write and shoot three films by then. Sure, Episodes VIII and IX wouldn't need to be edited or have the visual FX done before 2015, but all that would have to be done for Episode VII. When you think back to the PT, a hell of a lot of time was required for the CGI and visual FX shots to be completed.

Also, this is a new story and not based on the EU ... it all has to be written first before any shooting can begin. It might present some problems if the Episode VIII and Episode IX scripts are being written at a time when even the Episode VII script hasn't been completed.

So, I'm not so sure.

15. TheManFromMortis

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

In that respect, I do agree that shooting some scenes or all of the films back-to-back would make sense. Star Wars has been pretty lucky that it hasn't had to deal with the death of an actor playing a major character.

16. TheManFromMortis

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

When you describe a proposed production schedule like that, well, I can see that happening. That sounds reasonable.

17. Roberto Calrissian

Roberto Calrissian Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Harrison is 70 right? If that's the case film any scenes with him you need for the later episodes(assuming he agrees and they put him in)