main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Who do you want to direct Episode 7?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by PrincessKenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

1. Neo_3

Neo_3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    Who are the first choice picks? I think there is at least one direct that Kennedy could feel right with. Lucas didn't direct Kasdan's episodes.

2. Neo_3

Nov 13, 2012

3. Neo_3

Nov 13, 2012
    Its hard to say as we don't the tone of the movies. What if EP. IX = EP.III, EP. VII = EP.I and EP. VIII = EP. VI?

4. Neo_3

Nov 13, 2012
    Actually he has Agent 13.

5. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    The videos released on StarWars.com references what qualities LucasFilm are looking for in a director,and based upon their criteria, any number of names have been bandied about by our mebership in more than one topic for weeks now.

I feel Kennedy will find the right man or woman for the job, too. In fact, based upon her husband's recent comments, I'd imagine that she already has. I was just curious what the community's opinion of any potential sighting of George Lucas in the director's chair for Episode VII might be and thought it might yield some interesting discussion.

Finally, I didn't say that Lucas directed Kasdan's episodes. I said that when the two worked together, magic happened. That said, Kasdan was involved with writing ROTJ and in spite of Marquand receiving the sole directing credit, it has been well established that Lucas stepped in during production and did direct.

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Eye roll. :rolleyes: <--- This is me.

By that yardstick, everyone on this site is just as qualified.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  7. Darth Swede

Darth Swede Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 4, 2012
    I really hope it wont be Joe Johnston. Have you seen Jurassic Park 3? Or Wolfman? This guy has too many duds in his catalouge, and none of his movies are better than OK. That he was involved with the art direction on the OT is, I think, less important in comparison.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  8. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I'm not too sure about Joe Johnston myself. He's certainly qualified having worked on the OT, but his films have been less than great, always trying to emulate the Spielbergs and Lucases he admires, but never reaching anything profound. I must say that Captain America was pretty solid though, so maybe there's a chance.

I could be comfortable with Jon Favreau though. Considering his current occasional voice contributions to The Clone Wars and his general love of the saga, he definitely fits the fanboy bill. His recent efforts have certainly been a bit underwhelming, but he nevertheless has a strong sense of comprehensible action and character driven storytelling, which above all is what made the first Iron Man such a smashing success.

9. Neo_3

Nov 13, 2012
    I wasn't trying to be rude, just was asking who were the first choice picks so maybe I could see if they are busy for 2015 or not.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  10. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I think you give too much credit too the director or, in this case, too much liability. Screenplay, producer and the entire crew, down to the editor, are all equally as, if not more, important than/as the director. To name one example, Irvin Kershner never helmed a film that was more than modestly successful from an artistic or financial standpoint, with the sole exception of ESB. And that, of course, is one of the finest films of all time.

Movies are team efforts! The failings of Wolfman were in the script and the harried production: the film looks gorgeous, flows nicely, and the action sequences are handled with aplomb. We just don't give a damn about the characters because the writing is very poor. Captain America is an excellent, superbly realized film, and again any (minor) failings it has are script-related or, quite frankly, money-related (IE, they ran out of it before they could film a really action-packed climactic fight on-board the Skull's plane).

In short, I think Johnston would be an excellent choice to helm the sequels.

FRAGWAGON and Serpico Jones like this.
  11. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Always thought Captain America felt like two different movies-before the factory is one, and after is another.

12. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    At least Johnston understands the visual style of Star Wars. Provided good script and having ILM at his disposal, we can reasonably expect a solid effort as the very least.

13. The McDougal Bugle

The McDougal Bugle Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2012
    I can't accept anyone other than Colin Trevorrow and what he said about him not directing is bogus in my opinion.

14. Neo_3

Nov 13, 2012
    Not saying anything would IMO would indicate he is in the running. Saying he is out to me means he is out, if not than Bird, SS, Abrams and others would still be in.

15. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    If Mortis is going to be in one of the episodes, Tarsem Singh might be an interesting choice.

16. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I was wondering if there was a Blomkamp Star Wars connection and I just found one. Simon Kinberg is producing the only other movie that Blomkamp has in his pipeline at the moment and he described working with Blomkamp as the "most inspired he had ever been on a movie set. “I genuinely believe he could be one of – or the great genre director of our generation. I think he could be James Cameron. He could be George Lucas — one of those guys,” he said, adding, “He has the whole movie in his head, and it’s a complicated, big world-creation movie and he’s just got the whole thing mapped out and visualized in a way that is supernatural to me.”

As a writer who has frequently produced his own work, Kinberg was asked what it was like to produce another writer’s vision. “With someone like Neill, it’s a pleasure because he’s a great writer and he’s also very responsive and collaborative,” he said. “So if I had ideas or thoughts and questions, he was very open and he used me as a sounding board in terms of development of the script."

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...r-simon-kinberg-unlocks-mysteries-of-elysium/

I hadn't seen a Blomkamp/Star Wars production connection yet before but with Kinberg on board to produce and write... and Blomkamp's schedule entirely clear after Elysium, could this be the director of the new Star Wars movies?

He's only 32 years young. He's a visual FX wizard. Peter Jackson's a huge fan of his potential. He's a huge science fiction fan (almost every movie or short film he's made yet has been sci-fi) and he doesn't have any strong ties yet to any one particular studio. He basically pitched Elysium to a host of studios and Sony just gave him the best offer so he took it.

District 9 was a tremendous achievement for a 29-year-old. Surely, Lucas and Kennedy would agree. Do you think Blomkamp's on the short list? Vancouver's only a short flight from LA and Kinberg would certainly sing his praises.

17. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm pretty sure it's going to be Favreau and we'll find out by the next update at SW.com on the 3rd/4th December.

18. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I would much prefer Neil Blomkamp or Matthew Vaughn to Jon Favreau as directors of Star Wars. That said, Favreau would be better, IMO, than Joe Johnson, or Disney's other hired guns... Gore Verbinksi and Rupert Sanders. I understand the Johnson connection but I still wouldn't be excited at the idea of him being handed Star Wars. I realize that Verbinski and Sanders are pros that deliver solid visuals but neither would excite me much either. I want this to go to a Star Wars fan and a sci-fi geek with the potential to not only try and rekindle some of that OT magic but also perhaps to go beyond it and introduce new elements.

I will say this though; it is interesting that Favreau's current twitter pic is a cross between R2 and Iron Man:

[​IMG]

yodasbum likes this.
  19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I completely agree. Vaughn and Blomkamp would be good, Favreau would be okay, and I really detest the notion of Gore Verbinski for these films.

20. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    He also tweeted a pic of some Samurai/ Stormtrooper mash-up toy the other day (fanning the speculation) and has been on record as saying he'd be very interested. He has no overwhelming style of his own, is available and is a massive fan. I imagine the only reason the announcement has taken so long is that they are finalising the deal.

21. Neo_3

Nov 13, 2012
    I am thinking the 5th video for the director.

22. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Depends on the route they take with it. If they choose to continue with the Skywalker lineage and go to the next Skywalker in line, then I say that Whedon, Lucas and Spielberg are good options. Nolan would phenomenal if they chose to go dark, but being that it's Disney, I can't see that happening.

So there. Honestly, I would be alright with Lucas doing it.

23. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I would like Fincher to do it. He consistently turns out great films despite the subject matter almost convincing you it's going to be first class garbage.
    I mean who saw the Social Network being anything but crap before release? Instead it gets regularly compared to Citizen Kane.

yodasbum likes this.
  24. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Fincher would be interesting, because he's a totally different type of filmmaker from previous Star Wars directors. Favreau's twitter pics could suggest it's him, or he could be ****ing with us. Either way I respect that. :)

25. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I think Aaron Sorkin deserves a ton of the credit for what made the Social Network so smart and complex. Not to take anything away from Fincher -- He, his cinemetographer, and color grading team are always in sync with creative new looks and moods, and the boat scene showcased his visual talent and creativity -- but Sorkin wrote the hell out of that story. The sharp dialogue, the set-ups, and the focused themes are all Sorkin, which is why he won an Oscar for his work on that.

Put it this way. I can think of 20 or so directors who could have taken Sorkin's script and created a very solid "The Social Network" movie but I can't think of too many writers who'd be better suited to tackling the story of Zuckerberg than Aaron Sorkin.

solojones likes this.