main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.9 - A Necessary Bond - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Indeed. He has survived worse... ;)

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Wonder when we will get to see the part where Grievous picks up that cough

Order66Survivor and Paparazzo like this.
  3. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    This difference of opinion comes down to a difference in perspectives.

I never got the sense that all of the younglings were being set up to have similarly big roles in the arc. As early as the first episode, it was clear that the brash and arrogant human boy and the dogmatic and insecure near-human girl would be the most prominent of the six... and not just because Christian Taylor is a human supremacist (though here he is at an Imperial era rally, right in the middle with his fist raised high :p ):

[​IMG]

Seriously, the guy makes the embodiments of the Force exaggerated humans, as if they're the only species that matters. Guess what the main cast of Taylor's old show, LOST, was made up of?

[​IMG]

But I digress...

Zatt took a step backwards? I don't agree with that. He had just overcome his tech-dependency. It wasn't inappropriate to use basic technology for rudimentary astrographic/geographic (one of the two IIRC) calculations. He constructs his lightsabre (more competently than the humans on their first attempts, and through the standard meditative Force-guided method) and wields it effectively. Really, he doesn't need much more to grow after The Gathering. You believe Gungi was static and Byph was sectioned off into the comic relief role. However, Byph certainly wasn't a dithering clown. In the later three episodes, he proves that he is courageous, confident and competent. Both he and Gungi similarly construct their lightsabres with the Force at the beginning of Bound for Rescue, in states of mind that are devoid of their earlier flaws of impatience and fearfulness. Considering that characterisation for Gungi and Byph is limited by the fact that they can't speak Basic, they got a good deal from the arc.

Some thoughts on Ganodi: she does have a bit of an attitude problem, such as when she attempts to belittle Huyang in A Test of Strength. However, when she attempts to undermine Petro's unofficial leadership position in Bound for Rescue, she easily comes around to seeing the merits to his suggestion and decides not to argue for the sake of it. How very Jedi-like of her. That's some decent character development right there, done in the space of a few seconds. Does she grow past her flaws? Sure she does.

Rex and Fives became the main protagonist and deuteragonist in Umbara for a reason. They were the most established and most well-developed of the clones. It wasn't an introduction but a continuation of The Deserter and the Rookies/Clone Cadets/Citadel complex. There was little setup needed. Petro and Katooni evolved into the joint protagonists when the other characters completed their individual journeys. The others certainly did not just fade into the background. Certainly, they have much more significance than Kix does after The General, even when Ahsoka and Hondo join the cast of protagonists. The collective journey is incredibly important to Jedi characters and particularly in such a small group of any sort of characters. Even without a speaking part, each of the younglings grows as a result of this collective journey.

Star Wars has always had shifting focuses, parallel protagonists, etc. ANH begins with Luke Skywalker nowhere in sight for the first act and ends with him as the primary focus. Keep in mind that these are Jedi children. Things like Byph's and Gungi's placidness in meditation, Ganodi's eventual lack of aggressiveness, Petro's evolving compliancy and Katooni's overcoming of her failures are pretty big deals. There may not truly be much of a moral lesson in this episode and arc beyond teamwork and all that typical good-for-kids stuff. Sometimes TCW goes out and does some mythology-driven world-building and exploration of IU themes, characters and concepts - eg. the Anakin-Obi-Wan relationship, the nature of the Force, the doctrines and ethics of the clone army. This arc was great at this.

Just IMO. I can see how you developed your opinions and see that your perspectives are all very much valid. However, suffice it to say, I have some very different ones. I think this arc is one of TCW's very best. I don't consider it to be as good as Umbara, but it's probably superior to the Hardeen arc overall.

Definitely a highlight of S5 and of TCW.

AkashKedavra_93 and rumblewagon like this.
  4. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003

Bond5-1.png

5. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    I've got it as my desktop background.

6. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Haha, big forehead guy meme is always funny.

Well sir, from where I'm sitting Zatt personifies the boy genius trope. I expected him to continue to use technology. I expected him to build the perfect lightsaber. Get the kid glasses and some blue clothing please. He is the same character the entire way through the episodes and is defined by that single trait. Would a little more personality be so much to ask? The only other thing he does other then that is wipe his nose on his sleeve. Shame, I liked him. Gungi was static, apparently we agree on this, since that is all you said. Characters don't need to be able to speak so we can understand them to have a significant role. What is R2? Byph dressed up in a flower suit and most of the time all he was doing was playing yes man to defacto leader to Petro. That is grain of sand growth over 4 freaking episodes. Again, this arc was trying to build a plot from growing up, working together, and becoming a team.

No, she doesn't grow past her flaws. Genodi does the same thing over and over again. Getting shut up every time isn't growth. If she was learning, she'd learn not to start mouthing off.

The most visible member of Domino Squad before his death was Echo. Fives was promoted to deuteragonist in Umbara. Its true for Rex was continued growth from "The Deserter". Fives however was fleshed him out beyond just being an angry dude in Umbara. Your right that clearly Petro and Katooni were the only two of the younglings that mattered in the arc. Their personal journeys were the only ones that get screen time beyond simply going into the cave and over coming themselves to find their saber crystals. I still feel the other younglings got shoved into the back like no one knew what to do with them. They were about invisible to me the last two episodes. Over coming ones self is the first step to any journey. Where are the other steps for the other Younglings? I don't really think there was a character in the Young Jedi arc that compared well to Kix, who was a real supporting character, who made Rex stop and say "What?".

TCW tackles all kinds themes. Clone independence, the force, rebellions, pacifism, greed, betrayal, personal conflict. You don't need to explain this to me. I may not be a life devoted SW fan but I know what Star Wars is and the kinds of lessons it teaches and the kind of material it covers. Petro and Katooni were compelling characters but I just would have like to have seen more focus for the other younglings in this arc. It was fun to explore the mythos even though that only occurred for two episodes the entire arc.

[​IMG]

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There were multiple panels (some with multiple times). I caught Dave's storytelling class, Joel's photography class, the Season 5 premiere, and (unknowingly) the Young Jedi screening. Didn't catch the other TCW panels.

8. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    That's still so awesome.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Even cooler was that most of the "Star Wars University" room's class panels ended up giving you a signed certificate, including Dave's storytelling one. So, in other words, free Filoni autograph. :D

10. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Today's topic: How to wreck canon

I think 'how to shoehorn Ahsoka in every situation' was on his mind too.

11. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Did you catch the class, too?

12. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I stayed home and didn't spend $132492942795 dollars in airfare, hotel, food, ect. :p

13. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Of course the others got shoved into the back Humans first. Now only two options for the youngsters getting brutally chopped down by Anakin or getting grabbed for a Sith Experimentation.

Still that being said be nice to see Del Rey in the EU even go for half that level of diversity but nah white male after white male after white male....white female, white male, white male...white female, white male, white male.... alien.

14. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Honestly, its probably better the arc didn't endear me to any of the kids both for ROTS and because I've got a bad feeling they may not make it that far. We may see them unexpectedly later this season.

15. Hero of Tukayyid

Hero of Tukayyid Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2012
    I am pretty sure that's George. We are incredibly lucky to have him.

16. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Certified Filoni fan.;)

:p

17. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Yes

18. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    This needs to be a mandatory class for every current and future Disney-Star Wars writer/director/producer.

19. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Only in your mind, young one.

20. Hero of Tukayyid

Nov 23, 2012
    Filoni tought it would had made more sense for Kenobi to get a padawan, but Lucas is the Emperor.

21. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Both are pretty bad ideas imo. Either idea takes away the Obi-Wan-Anakin companionship, and I think the former would've bulldozed it more.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  22. Hero of Tukayyid

Nov 23, 2012
    Filoni tought Kenobi having a padawan would be a better alternative. Lucas literally looked at them and said Anakin had a padawan. Him and Gilroy looked at eachother and decided to pretend that the mind trick worked.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  23. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Lucas: "Anakin has a padawan."
    Filoni: "Uh, no, George. He never had a padawan. Do you want to watch RotS to refresh your memory?"
    Gilroy: "Yeah, George. I'm pretty sure Anakin never had a padawan."
    Lucas: *waves hand* "Anakin has a padawan."
    Filoni: "Anakin has a padawan."
    Gilroy: "Anakin has a padawan. Move along. Move along."

24. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I don't think Filoni would have written out the Anakin/ Obi-wan bromance. TCW does a great job carrying that on in the show and there a quite few great moments between the two. It is also a central part of one of the story arcs TCW is telling to bridge to ROTS.

25. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Doesn't he already have it?

SithStarSlayer likes this.