main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation If this flops could it break Disney

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Yodahasgreenfeet, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    If this film flops though I can see Disney on the receiving end of a lot of hate. I wonder if the star wars fan base has a strong enough pull to make the Disney franchise collapse in on itself?

2. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    They will have to shut down operation of the Dumbo ride due to losing its fanbase...

[​IMG]

4. TheMasterOfSoresu

TheMasterOfSoresu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2011
    But it won't. There is no doubt.

5. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    There will be new fans to Star Wars. Enough people have a love for Disney to give it a shot. It's not just Star Wars fans that could bring it down, but they certainly would help. You have to consider how hyped this film is going to be. There's going to be alot of confrontation either way if they don't do this right.

Just look what happened to George Lucas , who could have truly won every one over no matter what. Star Wars has curses that it carries it looks a blessing but has nearly ended careers and has given Lucas heart ache for the past decade.

Is Disney foolish to think they can just come into the Star Wars film universe and turn it all around in their favor? Why even play with such fire as Star Wars?

I think they are taking on more than they realize and that the confidence they have in their writers and creative insights may not hold up to what they are in for. Playing with Star Wars is like playing split the atom...

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You are apparently unaware of the monthly release of Tinkerbell sequels...

7. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    Relevance being?

No one considers Lucas a relevant or competent film maker any more because of the star wars curse that once brought great respect and power and wealth now it often brings agony. Only the truest of fans can admire all 6 films. That's rare amongst fans. I enjoyed all 6, but have to acknowledge that my faith in Lucas had died significantly.

Star Wars is a double edged sword for the film maker.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Your OP is nonsense. That is the relevance. Disney makes the production cost for the entire new sequel trilogy in an average season. There is no money to lose.
    [​IMG]

JainaSoloYJK and Spam Bot like this.
  9. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    I was more suggesting that their reputation would be dogged and that they'd become more a farce in the public eye. That they would be between fans and non fans in arguments and debates. This means they would be surrounded by public opinions, on every side. If fans hate this film , they will be surrounded by turmoil for quite some time.

If Disney doubles the JAR JAR on this film, it will change their image forever as it changed the way the public saw George Lucas in his later years. Lucas had money and riches, but not of every kind. Most people saw him as a has been with too much money and lost respect for his film making abilities.

There's an old Hollywood saying that you may or may not believe, that you are only as good as your last film.

Even if fans hate this, you have to consider that fans are real people and will surround the Disney franchise with Star Wars rants and raves. Non fans will respond to that turmoil. It won't be pretty . This will change Disney's image forever dependent on how successful or non successful it is.

PR and media will mock Disney until the end of time if this film sucks.

10. Darth Horn Rollo

Darth Horn Rollo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    This is not a gamble on Disney's part. There is NO WAY that these movies flop. Now, I'm a bit concerned about over-saturation over the long haul, but the ST? Automatic blockbusters. Let's remember, the general consensus in "geek-dom" is that The Phantom Menace was pretty much a bust. But is still pulled in, all told including the recent 3D re-release, over $1 BILLION DOLLARS. And what Disney has now with Lucasfilm is but one slice of a very large pie. They aren't depending on Star Wars to pull them out of a hole and if (and this is a crazy premise, in my opinion), if the ST flops, then Disney will still be counting the billions from other sources. And there is no Disney "franchise" - it is franchises within a franchise.

11. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I don't think I'm being presuming in saying that this won't flop. It will likely clear, at minimum, one billion dollars worldwide. The hype and event-movie-status surrounding Episode 7 will be unlike anything we have ever seen. It will completely dwarf all the prequels. To think otherwise is a little naive.

FinleySlade likes this.
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    In all seriousness, my main point wasn't so much the money, in and of itself... but, rather where that money comes from. They sell enough princess dresses to a massive demographic who will most likely never have Star Wars films on their radar to counter any negative feedback they get from us nerds in this corner of their marketing strategy. They have 12 variant Beauty & the Beast snowglobes to sell...

13. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    But you can't ignore the cultural impact of Star Wars , if Disney fails you will have fans vs non fans in the middle of all of that. The media will insult people involved, the internet will rage on about how poorly done they were. You will see it on every news channel. Disney flops Star Wars franchise on its' back like a fish out of water.

You will see films like Disney vs Star Wars fans. It will surround Disney with un wanted drama. None of you can deny the impact and significance of Disney on society and the entertainment industry. It's huge.

It might not destroy Disney right away but I think it could turn out very ugly for Disney and take away alot of respect for their franchises. There are alot of Star Wars fans and it's a major part of culture. But I don't see it flopping.

It's not all just about money, more importantly it's about how the money is made . Creative license and creative integrity.
    Disney has a reputation to live up to.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Jake Lloyd, Hayden Christiensen, and JarJar Binks combined did not 'break' lowly 20th Century Fox. I think Disney will survive the gentle breeze that is the outburst of a mob of raging dorks...

TheMasterOfSoresu likes this.
  15. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, well, not gonna happen.

16. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    George Lucas was never respected again. If this film is too Disney or not made well enough, it won't be a gentle breeze. What else does the media have to really complain about that isn't really important?

Think of how sensitive Star Wars is. There are people who will never watch the PT ever again. Does Disney really think they can do so much better? If this new series is very Disney-isque it could leave a lot of fans with a hatred for the Disney manufactured style of films.

This turns hatred towards their creative license, film style and would make people question their artistic integrity. Star Wars is not something to take likely. Hopefully Disney doesn't have your attitude that it's a breeze and that if it flops nothing will come of it of consequence.

It's one of the most famous film franchises on the entire planet. And they will have to answer to it's failings as George Lucas is not involved . I hope they know what they are doing and take this more seriously than some of you apparently do.

Just because you're rich and will remain rich doesn't mean that you can keep your fans loyalty...

All focus WILL be on Disney as a creative film industry and all eyes on how they produce this film and the artistic direction it takes which will ultimately represent Disney as a company and it's film making abilities. No one is going to watch this without thinking about Disney...

17. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Especially, if Mark, Harrison and Carrie are in them (or at least Episode VII)

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Disney's reputation is not... and will never be... solely entwined with the Star Wars franchise as Lucas' is. Lucas is one & the same as the franchise he created. Their reputation is his reputation. You asked a simple yes/no question and there will not be a reply to your liking, obviously, since anyone who has any sense of Disney's vast appeal will not be insane enough to answer your question with a "yes". Sorry that nobody is uneducated enough on the subject to give you the response you seem to be craving...

19. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    It's not about money , it's about how the money is being made. If this flops people will not flock to Disney films as they used to. It could make people loose faith in their film making abilities. If this is poorly produced it will be an insult to fans. It will also surround Disney with UN-necessary drama. Maybe in some illusionary concept of the world you think entertainment industries are all about money. But in reality they are about entertainment and if Disney fails to deliver with artistic creditability and integrity then it could very well change how people view their franchises.

This film could end up too Disney-isque or end up bastradized in any way which would not help people keep faith in Disney's film making abilities.

Lucas will have nothing to do with the new films, hardly...

Will maybe the OP was a little dramatic but it created conversation...

20. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    Disney will not be hit by too much backlash if the ST flops I think that would fall on Lfl and George because he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Some have said that the ST can't flop, well it definitely can however unlikely that would be. Say they produce a film that is as good as Superman IV the Quest for Peace then that would be bad news. I don't want to get into an argument about previous SW films but I have a feeling that with the crap everyone has gone (economic, tax etc) through they are looking for something. There haven't been any mega attended films since Titanic (over 100 million). Every decade had had a couple except for the 40's and the 00's. I think that the world is ready to embrace SW again they wanna feel like they did in 77 or feel what it was like when Star Wars was cool in 77 and 78. The world is ready for a mega attended film and VII is in a perfect place if it gets it right.

If they get VII very badly wrong it will damage the SW brand but not so much Disney. It would also mean that they would need 15-20 Star Wars films to break even from the deal rather than 1 trilogy.

With the talent already assembled and with more talent to come I think SW is in safe hands. As I've said before if they make a great film we'll take care if the rest. Make a bad one and we'll kill it never mind anyone else.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Really...? The literal MILLIONS of little girls obsessed with Disney princesses will stop going to Disney films because some nerds were dissatisfied with a series of films they, themselves, could not care less about? Good luck with that...

yodasbum likes this.
  22. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    It will only change how people view the Star Wars franchise.

People won't boycott Disney productions just because they make one band of raging fans angry.
    It's a silly idea.

23. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    XD but you admit that Star Wars might be turned off towards Disney if they screw this up? Why in God's good name on his good green Earth would people back lase George Lucas? He's not even involved with the production, creative decisions of the new films coming out by DISNEY.
    He's hardly involved, he's retired so that he would no longer carry the star wars curse.

It's just conversation. I'm going to go do something productive with my time. I don't think this thread has the potential to evolve. It seems that it had a weak start just for the sake of conversation and I wasn't able to take it any where interesting. Oh well.

You guys can see if you can do anything interesting with this one. I don't think I'm able to turn it myself. I was trying to come up with an interesting idea for it but I think ultimately this thread wasn't as available as I thought it was for improvisations. I think I've found dead ends, it just isn't evolving into a interesting conversation.

I thought there might be subjects to be found here but it seems upon investigation there isn't too much to talk about here.

It's yours now see if you can invent or pull something out of it for conversation.

Thanks

24. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Creative decisions are coming out of LucasFilm.

I don't think you really grasp how this works.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Hellhammer didn't say Lucas... he specifically said LFL. When people had issues with a Miramax film, it never affected Disney in the slightest. That is why disney uses sub-companies. Why am I even bothering to type this? You have your inane, completely irrational outlook solidified already. Where is JoeyArnold when we need a reasonable topic...?

yodasbum likes this.