main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation If this flops could it break Disney

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Yodahasgreenfeet, Nov 26, 2012.

1. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    If it flops Disney can just buy something else.

Don't see it entirely crashing, though. One line where Han brags about shooting first will probably be enough to push the film into Internet darling status.

The_Hellhammer likes this.
  2. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    Because if Disney mess it up (I don't think Kathleen will) he'll (George) be blamed for selling it to them especially as they are using his treatments. I don't think that'd right or fair but that is what some people will do.

3. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    You don't know me that well nothing is solidified here. I was poking you for a response and that's what I got. I never claimed we were going into debate class together or into business class. I was hoping to inspire a legit conversation of some sort but apparently there wasn't any place to really go with this thread. I did find a conversation, I could care less about this thread.

I was looking for ideas, conversations , as a thread starter I guess I was sort of just having fun and not doing it in the conventional way. This thread didn't have a real reality to it , it was just a super position of silly ideas put together and an analogy about something or another a center of gravity.

It was an abstract thread with some real ideas to try to provoke legit responses from you. Because other wise I had no real conversations to bring up. HAHA

XD you're the one that entertained the thread and so I guess you had something to say. I just kept it going out of curiosity. But I think what I did get from the thread is that you guys don't think a flop could affect how the world see Disney in an way. Or rather people won't contribute this film to Disney.

But I think there are plenty of people who already associate these episodes with Disney. I would say that.

The conversation went in a few directions but over all it was a bust. It's yours now if you want to try to do anything with it.

4. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Disney is a mega company who has their hands in many things. I doubt if Star Wars doesn't live up to the expectations of the fans that it will hurt Disney any. I mean just look at their list of assets. They'll land on their feet just fine.

5. Stikman3

Stikman3 Jedi Master

May 18, 2002
    Out of curiosity...what exactly is "The Star Wars Curse"? You mean the thing George created that made him a billionaire? Somehow I doubt George Lucas considers Star Wars a curse. It certainly hasn't hurt the Cartoon Network...or 20th Century Fox...or Hasbro Toys...or anyone else who's had rights to the property. What curse is there? Seems like anyone who has any piece of Star Wars on their hands has gold.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I wasn't hatin. I actually am fond of you from some other threads. I just talk abrasively. My username isn't just some clever phrase... :p

7. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Yodahasgreenfeet, This fantasy that fans can make a difference may have have come true in pressuring a single person named George Lucas to quit screwing up Star Wars but Disney corp will just direct the LFL department head to fire the incompetent boob who turns in another PT and then go in different directions until they capture a formula that works.

...and btw, if you want to see how much impact angry SW fans have on a corporation, all you need to do is consider the effectiveness of the Blu-Ray boycott.

Yodahasgreenfeet and yodasbum like this.
  8. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    No idea about the BluRay boycott, but I saw the changes and I simply didn't want to waste money on that. I got that DVD set that came out ages ago, and that was...hmm...disappointing.

I recently got perfect HD quality original movies, restored by fans, and done way better than both the official DVD and BluRay releases...

9. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    Lucas is no longer relevant because he hasn't made a good film in decades. It has nothing to do with a Star Wars curse, but rather a man whose ego took control, leading him to push away anyone who would dare try to reign him in or edit himself, and instead surround himself with "Yes" men and women.

The bulk of the OT was a collaboration between Lucas and a host of others (including his ex-wife). Those other voices helped to reign in and hone the story. RotJ was the beginning of Lucas tightening his grip and realizing exactly how powerful/lucrative his licensing deal actually was (which is, interestingly, similar to how Bill Gates leveraged Microsoft). Enter questionable decisions like Leia being Luke's sister, and Ewoks.

The PT shows the end game of that kind of activity. With complete creative control, the best movie of the trilogy - RotS - is still deeply flawed. The worst - TPM - doesn't have a lasting affect on the overall story at all. In fact, I just re-watched TPM on Spike recently, and I was struck by how transparent and even cynical it was. It was a 120+ minute toy ad for all intents and purposes. Jar Jar and young Anakin were aimed entirely at kids, much like how movies in the 1980's would have their dedicated demographic analogue cyphers(remember Wheelie and Daniel from Transformers: The Movie?) . The rest of the film is largely incidental. Watching the films in so-called 'Machete Order' (IV, V, II, III, VI) highlights how useless an entry it is as it's left out entirely, yet there's hardly any confusion stemming from its absence.

Regarding Disney, I don't think you understand just how large an empire that is. Disney owns Marvel Comics, including the non-Sony movies. Last I checked, movies like Iron Man, Thor, The Avengers, etc. did fairly well. Disney works in conjunction with Pixar, so it makes money off of all those films, including the Toy Story movies, Cars, Finding Nemo, and Wall-E. None of that takes into account the classic Disney IP, or the parks. Or all the toys.

Finally, let's not forget the elephant in the room: the prequel trilogy was so widely panned that anything coming after it has the assumption it will follow suit. There are very few positive expectations for the new films, and hardly any coming from outside the fandom. In terms of mainstream appeal, Star Wars is at its lowest point right now. A flop would certainly be bad, but not devastating as Disney's revenue to date has been non-Star Wars in nature. I'm of the opinion that a more collaborative brain trust can't do much worse than what we got with the PT, and odds are they can do a lot better.

So, it's really a matter of whether or not the franchise will remain at the static-quo, funded primarily by children and diehards, or if it will regain any kind of traction in pop culture. I'm betting on the latter, due primarily to Lucas' limited involvement.

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  10. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I didn't have the creativity to make this an actual topic and argue a convincing opinion. Maybe next time. I don't know how this partnership works , that in reality is something for me to investigate. I'm an artist and often absent minded , haha now I'm making confusing and silly threads. Maybe I should go paint or write a poem.

In actuality , I think that people have convincing ideas in this thread . Oh well , I thought I could spin it. But I wasn't able to. Maybe next time I will get you all! Next time I tell you!

I was bored... I like to spin the wheel when I'm bored. BUT I thought my line in this play " Star Wars flops like a fish out of water " was clever, because it was referring to it being under a new company. But apparently I don't understand how it works.

Damn, am I this lonely? HAHA, but seriously this thread wasn't built on sincerity. I'm going to go work on my college course work. Thanks for entertaining my thread everyone!

I guess this is coyishly admitting towards trolling for the day. HAHA But I didn't mean anything by it and I almost pulled it off. Sort of...some trolls are inherently trolls because they have no one to talk to and can't come up with real ideas of discussion. I won't make another thread for a while.

11. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Three words for consideration -- "Mass Effect Three".

12. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    Completely different circumstances. Moreover, ME3 is a great game aside from the last five minutes.

If Ep. VII is a great movie aside from its ending, that will be a net gain for the Star Wars brand considering where it stands today.

yodasbum likes this.
  13. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Because Fox only distributed the films, look to Lucasfilm. :p

14. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    A couple days ago you posted a thread where you stated that you felt Star Wars was overrated on here, which was quickly locked and seen as a troll thread. Then you posted in the thread about whether there was Lucas Film spies on here. Now, you're trolling to ask if Star Wars might sink Disney?

It's strange to see somebody trolling that already has a couple hundred posts to their name. Not sure why you're deliberately trying to bother people on this particular forum suddenly with unlimited pessimism but it sounds like you need a break.

By the way, Revenge of the Sith made $848,754,768 in worldwide box office sales.Note the worldwide total below domestic:
    http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars3.htm

That was without 3D and after people were already disappointed in the direction/feel of the prequels. And the blu-ray releases of the new saga probably brought in another billion dollars. The clone wars cartoons and all the merchandise sold from that probably did the same. They'll absolutely make their money back on TV rights deals, toys, video games, and future movies. Plus, Disney now owns one of the best post production and FX facilities in the world now and will be seeing revenue from all the movies that come to ILM for FX work. Lucasfilm will be the gift that keeps on giving to them. And we haven't even discussed Indiana Jones re-releases or reboots yet. This cost them 4 billion dollars. They'll make that back without any problems at all. And don't even get me started on how much money the Howard the Duck remake will earn... So long Avatar!

15. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    LOL @ the idea of a Star Wars movie flopping.
    Even The Clone Wars didn't flop at the box office.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm glad to see that my point was entirely clear...

17. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Except I didn't read it that way or however you wanted it to be. Many believe that Fox financed, ect, the prequels when really LF did.

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Meaningless analogy. Disney is the largest entertainment corporation in the world. Bioware is a semi-autonomous subdivision of a corporation that can barely keep its stock afloat. That's like saying "I got the local pizza joint to change their crust, so clearly I can convince Pizza Hut to do the same."

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    You apparently haven't read the original post. Disney will suffer due to LFL's blundering about as much as Fox did. As in, not at all. That's the strange thing about a text based community... we kinda have to read stuff...

20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You apparently didn't read my post, because I agree with you. :p

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    That was for the guy above you. This thread demonstrates unrivaled illiteracy. :p

Ramza likes this.
  22. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    This entire forum has begun to demonstrate that. It's disgusting.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
  24. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    There's a better chance that Mitt Romney will join Occupy Wall Street than that this movie will flop.

Not. Gonna. Happen. So you can stop worrying about it.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It underperformed (The Dark Knight was released around that time) and was panned at an even worse interval than the prequels were. The show that came after seemed to get better as it went on, but it is still dividing fans based on canon issues. This certainly does not spell the end of Star Wars, and I am fairly optimistic that this new trilogy will make some well earned moneys.