main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Les Misérables movie

Discussion in 'Community' started by Miana Kenobi, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Did anybody notice the little blurbs on that? In the one on Javert, it quotes Hooper as saying that he was lucky that Crowe "had a background in musical theater." Given all the fuss about Crowe's voice, that caught my eye. Anybody know what he's talking about?

2. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Well, apparently Crowe was in a Kiwi production of The Rocky Horror Picture Show, way back when he hadn't peaked in Hollywood just yet (I think there's a YouTube video of him singing in it), as well as some other stuff. He's also been a lead in multiple bands (more famously in The Ordinary Fear Of God and in 30 Odd Foot Of Grunts) and did many live shows, so at least he knows how to carry a tune. Whether or not his voice is appropriate for Les Mis is another thing, but we can't deny he's got relevant experience.

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Gerard Butler supposedly had experience, that didn't turn out so well.

4. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    Yes, but as far as I know, Gerard Butler hadn't recorded anything of his previous performances, so we were absolutely in the dark about what he would bring to the role of the Phantom (I appreciated his efforts, but that's neither here nor there), while at least with Crowe we have lots of points of comparison, including live singing in shows/awards/interviews (just go to YouTube and type "Russel Crowe Singing" and you'll get quite a number of hits), which should be at least minimally reassuring. I'm just trying to look at it with an open mind, and I'll not judge him before I've heard him sing in Les Mis. For all I know, he may well tank, but I'd like to give him a chance in case he does surprise us all and deliver a good performance.

Cheers,

5. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Depp doesn't have the best vocal range either, but he did Sweeney Todd well enough IMO. A tougher grittier Javert might work better with Crowe's vocal style.

6. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
  7. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
  8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This could go either way. I'm a little iffy on Seyfried. She has not impressed me thus far. I think Hathaway will be just fantastic, and Jackman has a really good voice. And hey, I'm glad Crowe is getting work again.

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Depp doesn't have a powerful voice really, but he was on pitch and didn't sound like he was straining. Crowe just doesn't sound in that clip like he is at all comfortable with singing that part.

10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Crowe never seems like he's very comfortable acting in general :p

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm not a huge fan of Seyfried either, but I think she's kind of a perfect cast for Cosette.

12. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I like her. She's not the world's most fabulous actress, but I thought she was fun in Letters to Juliet. And I liked her voice in Mamma Mia.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    She's a decent singer, and she looks pretty so she has the required bases covered to do a musical movie.

Amy Adams could of course have performed admirably in this movie, she has experience of musical films.

14. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I just don't think Adams would have been a good fit for any of the roles, though.

Also, the first reviews are in:

http://collider.com/les-miserables-audience-reactions/213369/

Though it mentions an original song? WTF.

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It's a long-standing tradition for movie versions of musicals to add songs, mostly so they can be eligible for the Oscar for Best Original Song. Presumably because they feel like as a musical they should be honored for musical things.

This is usually a song for the credits.

Yes, it's a stupid notion.

16. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I'm looking forward to this. I've never seen the play, but I have read the (abridged) novel, and this movie looks DAMN good.

17. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    There's technically only 49 songs in this play. I guess they wanted an even 50.

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Not since Chicago, huh? This had better be a damn sight better than Chicago.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    At least they let the original team write it.

20. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    You've never seen Les Mis? For shame.

[face_shame_on_you]

21. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Is there a performed version without all the singing and carrying on?

22. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    I have to make a confession here: I haven't seen the play, nor did I hear one song from it until I saw the trailer. But... I indeed read the whole behemoth of a novel quite a few years ago (granted, I did skip some passages, not being all that fond of the history of the Paris sewers, amongst a few examples), so I'm quite looking forward to see how the adaptation manages to do the original justice. Crossing my fingers and knocking on wood, as it were...

Cheers,

23. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Then it wouldn't really be Les Mis.

24. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Well here's the thing: book Les Mis and play Les Mis aren't really equals. I haven't managed to finish Les Mis yet, but while the play gets some of the basic story across, it's not a direct adaptation. It's like comparing Book!Wicked to Musical!Wicked. They're both wonderful, but not alike at all. Even comparing that 90s Liam Neeson version of Les Mis to the musical isn't the same.

However, if you love musicals, then you'll love Les Mis.

THIS. Like Cats and Evita, Les Mis is a sung-through musical, meaning there is little to no spoken dialogue. It's essentially almost an opera of sorts.

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, Wocky, there's definitely a version of an opera without the singing.