main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Why the NJO and Legacy Era are toast.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by stellarmagic01, Nov 5, 2012.

?

Do you think the NJO and Legacy are going to Survive Episode VII?

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. No

154 vote(s)
    72.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I disagree. During the early Bantam/Dark Horse/West End years, no one was treating the Marvel comics stories as canon. They were tossed aside and never referenced. I have the character guide from the 90s, and there was no Jaxxon, no Lumiya. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Essential_Guide_to_Characters And it's fair to point out that this era of canon DID include garbage like the Glove of Vader books and the Ewoks ancillary stories. It's also fair to point out that this decision was largely based on business interests (the end of the relationship with Marvel). The foundations of the earth did not tremble, geekdom was not torn asunder.

It wasn't until much later that Lucasfilm decided to bring Marvel back into the fold. That was a major publishing era during a period that sold way more copies than Dark Horse could ever dream to sell (just based on the size of the comic market of the time).

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  2. Sith_Knight087

Sith_Knight087 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    Sounds like many people are predicting that it's a question of WHEN not IF the post ROTJ EU stories will become as canon as the toilet paper you wipe your *** with after you've taken a **** ''Pardon my language''.
    But lets be honest no one can accurately predict the what the future holds for Star Wars, and as a wise Jedi master Yoda once said ''Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future''.

gotta star out the whole word.

Varguitas likes this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hated hated HATED the Glove of Darth Vader series, but the concept of High Prophets of the Dark Side was fairly interesting. Was this ever explored in other EU? I have not read that much EU to begin with.

4. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Heir to the Empire wasn't just a New York Times Bestseller, it was a best seller for 20 weeks and hit #1 three weeks after release. Yeah, I could easily believe that 15 million copy figure over the last twenty years. Nothing that the NJO and Legacy has produced reached that level of success...

Yes, the NJO and Legacy does appeal more to the angsty teenager market... I don't know why people thought that was the marketing strategy for Star Wars, but there it is.

5. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think the Thrawn trilogy will be safe, but only because it takes place a mere five years after ROTJ.

All this talk about them just having to retcon the EU again. It’s always worked in the past and it will work in the future. So why not? The truth is, this time I think it may be a bit more complicated than a few retcons here and there. The biggest issue facing nearly all post-ROTJ EU is what if Han and Leia have a son and a daughter who aren't called Jacen and Jaina and who are completely different to Jacen and Jaina? How can they possibly retcon that? Won't that alone pretty much wipe out the majority of post-ROTJ EU? I mean, Jacen and Jaina are pretty major characters. Major characters who's existence will pretty much be wiped from existence if they don't appear in the new trilogy.

I do think Han and Leia will have kids. I don't think Luke will (so bye-bye Ben, most likely), but I am almost certain Han and Leia will. There is a reasonable chance, though, that they will be entirely new characters. Surely this will effectively eradicate Jacen, Jaina and Anakin? Yeah, the films have always picked and chosen from the EU, but it’s usually been for mere cosmetics reasons. I can't see them suddenly plucking major characters from the EU. As well as Episode 7 probably bringing Chewbacca back from the dead, it’s really Han and Leia's offspring and the high likelihood that they won't be Jacen and Jaina Solo that makes me fully agree with the thread title

But, Leia is the same as Luke. So how would she not count? She's Anakin's daughter, just like Luke is his son. I think this is more than just a surname. I suppose you could be right, but surely it’s more about blood?

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    It just always seemed like the hero/ star had to be named Skywalker, not just be part of the bloodline. Like the OT is about Luke's journey, not Leia's.

7. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah... there is this whole father - son dynamic at work, isn't there.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  8. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I just wonder if they would want the Skywalker name to end with Luke. Luke not having a son means no more Skywalkers. Or, maybe the Skywalkers dying out is part of the story.

9. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Unless Luke lives through all 3 films. If not, then "There is another Skywalker".

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Leia is a Skywalker, therefore her kids would be Skywalkers.

I'm of the opinion that names aren't important.

11. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Luke can adopt one of Leia's kids and give them the name "Skywalker". Or maybe some unrelated Force sensitive child.

12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Or just name the kids Solo and not worry.

13. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    This may be true, but this is the direction SW is going.

14. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Do you think Han and Leia's child/ children would want to change their name. Seems like an insult to Han. I definitely don't think they would give the name to a non bloodline/ adopted character. I've never read any of the post ROTJ books, so I don't have a dog in this race, but it seems logical that they would continue the Skywalker saga with an actual Skywalker.

15. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Hi, newbie here.

I'd just like to say, in regard to the possible trashing of the EU by the new Disney movies, George Lucas has been respectful to the EU in the prequels, such as his inclusion of Aayla Secura, a character who originated in the Republic comic books. Quinlan Vos, another Republic comic character, was very nearly in ROTS, and Lucas actually asked the writers of the comics not to kill him off, as he was interested in using Vos in the live-action TV spin-off. Lucas will still be heavily involved with the new movies, from what I understand, so perhaps there's a chance the EU won't totally die?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. Sith_Knight087

Sep 5, 2012
    Seems like making truckloads of money will always be paramount over continuity and making stories fit together, a typical greedy corporate mediocre age we live in. [face_sigh]

17. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I doubt George could be called "heavily involved", since he's not writing, directing, or producing. He is retired after all. I think he'll just be available if they have questions.

18. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I thought he was going to be the creative consultant?

19. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I think the EU involvement will just come down to the writers. I they want to use a character or element from the EU, they will. If not, they won't. Anybody know if Michael Arndt is an EU fan?

20. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Well... yeah! Where have you been the last 50 pages?

21. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, but he could do that over the phone. If they have a question they can just call an ask. If he were going to be heavily involved, he would have produced.

22. Sith_Knight087

Sep 5, 2012
    Lucas being creative consultant means he'll be giving out advice and maybe helping out with parts of the story script, but that's about all he'll be involved in with the new films.

23. Sith_Knight087

Sep 5, 2012
    On different thread :p besides this thread seems to be way too opinionated as far as I'm concerned and nothings even been made official buy Lucasfilm to suggest that their gonna be making big and pointless changes to the EU. Sorry to be a buzz kill but that's how I feel about it.

24. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I'm sure very few EU characters will be introduced in the sequel trilogy.

25. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    There will be Skywalkers....There will be some EU content....they didn't leave 60 years blank at 45ABY for nothing ........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.