main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    "Tip" as in a tip for the restaurant where you work?

Yeah, I'd wonder about the "how did they get my address?" thing too...

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    You should. The Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy are the best works of fantasy ever IMO, although I can think of some good contenders (Eragon, the Percy Jackson series).

Good luck AkashKedavra_93.

3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I should read more...

4. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I've not read LoTR but loved the movies. I did just read the Hobbit and it was amazing. I could not put it down.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  5. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I got a terrible thing to admit. I've never seen the LOTR movies.

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    It's been a while, but I remember absolutely loving the Hobbit. The LOTRs had their high and low points... honestly, I think Peter Jackson did a good job altering the things that he did. ROTK (the novel) had a terrible ending.

I just finished the Silmarillion, which... was really, really bland. Sort of like reading a gamemaster's plot for an RPG that never got off the ground because there were too many characters.

I never saw Revenge of the Ring either. The one when zombie Gollum returns with the ring, right? :p

EDIT: Also, AkashKedavra_93: Wow, amazing covers! I'm gone for a day and suddenly everyone gets delusions of grandeur! Your books look seriously badass.

7. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    [face_blush]

8. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    It's a creation myth for cultures that don't even exist. That's what I found tedious (yet oddly inspirational) about it. At least the actual stories (LOTR, Hobbit) can be said to have characters rather than just archetypes with names attached to them.

That might be the one where Gollum burns on a lava beach, screaming: "We hates it!" to Frodo, who looks down at him sadly and picks up the ring where it lies...

9. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Damnit...

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    That's just it -- "inspiring" is one of the few positive adjectives I'd grant it. The guy had an amazing knack for creating incredibly original worlds. Part of my frustration was that he'd outline plots that had serious storytelling potential, but they lacked the personality from his other novels. Sort of like reading the back cover of a book for the summary. Only... it was a whole book of back-cover-summaries.

aldrestjedimaster and QuangoFett like this.
  11. aldrestjedimaster

aldrestjedimaster Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    Silmarillion is a bit bland but it is kind of interesting if you enjoy Middle-Earth.

12. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Not to worry, you're still flying half a ship.:p

13. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    lol, thanks for trying bro, guess its all just part of being the village idiot with these guys. Atleast I can count on you and Akash who tried to warn me.

Edit: Akash is making me promise to watch LOTR extended to redeem myself.

14. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Hope you like long endings.;)

15. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009

Admittedly I haven't read Percy Jackson, but Eragon?

16. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    My attention span tends to be pretty short so, its going to be a challenge.

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Then don't watch the extended versions, just the regular ones... they're still three hours long each (so basically a nine hour long movie), but very good and not nearly as tedious as that might sound.

18. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I tend to not have the attention span to make it through alot of normal length movies though. x.x;

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I had a hard time getting through Silmarillion. I had to read it a bit at a time.

True story: I went to get my hair done and had a paperback of The Two Towers with me. The hairdresser looked at the book and said, "Is that about the World Trade Center?"

20. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    I have to confess I never made it through any of Tolkien's books. I tried, I really did, but they seemed...I don't know...maybe too complex to get my mind around. It's the same reason I hesitate to read A Song of Ice & Fire. The HBO series is complicated enough.

Seerow likes this.
  21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Brings back bad memories of how many other kids in school and even the Math teacher at the time, I had to explain what the World Trade Center was to when the attacks occurred.

22. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    You are much braver than I am.... no way that rocket scientist is getting near me with a sharp pair of scissors.:p

eht13, KenobiSkywalker and Seerow like this.
  23. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    The Children of Hurin, effectively one of the Silmarillion tales adapted into a proper novel, was fairly good. It actually resembled an archaic mythological text like the epics of Beowulf and Gilgamesh rather than just a rambling Wikipedia article on them. The characters - while relatively bland and homogeneous compared to the colourful casts of The Hobbit and LOTR - were actually characters.

I wonder how Peter Jackson would handle all the incest and family drama in a film adaptation. :p

24. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Given the sort of people I talk to on some of my calls. Its hard to be surprised.

Now, this one isn't the customers fault but I just had a customer call in with a last name that popped on my screen as a certain word that rhymes with 'Duck' with a Dr. infront of it. And I just had to mute it and giggle like a 10 year old. Then I wasn't sure how to address him on a recorded call.

"Thank you for calling, Dr. ****..."

"How may I help you Dr. ****?"

"Your iPad isn't working Dr. ****?"

"Sorry to hear that Dr. ****."

I'm not making this up. I swear. Thankfully he let me use his first name.

25. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I'll just watch the upcoming movie and call it a day. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.