main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation If this flops could it break Disney

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Yodahasgreenfeet, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    The prequel's weren't flops, the originals weren't flops......why should these ST films be flops?

FinleySlade likes this.
  2. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009

PK EDIT: We don't talk about this. Thanks.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    PK EDIT See above.

4. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    No Disney is more then capable of withstanding flops. Besides its not going to flop even if the movie is terrible it will still make plenty of money.

5. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    PK EDIT: Yeah like I said above.

Okay, no Disney could withstand making $0 from these three films and still be fine. They'll probably make the $4B back in merchandising alone.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    PK EDIT: You know..

Darth_Kiryan likes this.
  7. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    And yet it probably succeeded in doing what it needed to do, which was serve as a big launch for TCW merchandise, and get kids watching that show. Unfortunately it had the opposite effect on getting adults to watch (which CN could obviously care less about!). Fortunately online reviews finally brought a lot of the adults back onboard to sell those season box sets.

I think a better analogy for the TCW movie is Batman Mask of the Phantasm, which was a box office flop. No one factors in its failure as a statement of the strength of the Batman movie franchise, or even the strength of Batman the Animated Series. That movie hit its stride on home video.

But putting out an extended pilot for a TV show as a theatrical release was just never going to be a good idea for building "credibility." There are just different expectations for different media.

8. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    PK EDIT: I know it's fun to talk about but we don't.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Another good example would be the new Trek movie. It's the most financially successful Trek film to date. This is most significant since Nemesis was a huge box office disappointment (partially because Lord of the Rings The Two Towers came out around then) and Insurrection nearly destroyed the franchise based on fan reception. However, the newest Trek was a reboot of sorts, and it does not really follow the Trek canon.

10. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Guys we don't discuss bans. Keep the thread on topic.

11. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    It may have underperformed, but it did not flop financially. It made $60M worldwide.

More like it takes a crap on Trek canon. Written by morons, directed by someone who had never seen anything Star Trek before taking the job. It's a worthless film. Not looking forward to the sequel at all except that at least a competent writer wrote the script and not the two morons who wrote Transformers.
    But I digress... >_>

12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Well here's the sad thing: audiences nowadays want lots of jumping around and explosions. They don't want techno babble which sometimes bogged down some of the Trek films. Maybe I'm not a good trekkie for loving the newest incarnation, but I definitely enjoyed the previous films as well.

13. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Ehm, it ain't gonna flop, and it ain't gonna break Disney. They bought this for $4B. That's small pocket change for a corporation whose total assets are $70B+.

14. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    One thing we have seen with the movie going public, is it is a lot picker about what it actually willing to pay and see in theaters these days, in the last few years there are huge successes like Avatar and Avengers that bring in more viewers than normal, true some are repeat viewings, but for movie to do really well it needs to get lots of different butts into the chairs at the theater. I will be honest I review all movies in a much poorer pirated form before I go and actually pay to see them now. So an excellent product is put out and is reviewed, then a choice is made to pay to see it in theater because it's justified, Star Wars is just such a movie.
    And another thing it has the baby boomer attention with the 3 main stars coming back, that is a very big crowd.

Episode VII will not fail it will be just like TPM and once they get you for one, you will want to see the next 2 at least.

Oh Disney is quite safe for at least 3 movies, the spin offs will be interesting too, it's huge Galaxy with many interesting characters, it will be like Marvel.
    Even Bobba Fett if given an EU line of life could have his own movies.

15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    If it flops Disney will break you. And by break you I'm talking a Wolverine/Boba Fett/Lizzie McGuire crossover.

16. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    [​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I knew somehow somewhen my choice of Avatar pic would come back and bite me in the butt haha.

18. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    It could be rubbish & not flop.....It could be worse the TPM & not flop....you could fill it with Gungans & Ewoks & it won't flop !!! .

19. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Disney hasn't had much success with live action, POTC being the obvious exception. They'll do fine.

20. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    The movie will be made by Lucasfilm, now a Disney subsidiary, not by Disney itself. Live action films by Disney's subsidiaries have tended to do well at times.

DarthBoba likes this.
  21. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    True, hadn't thought about that.

22. DARTHKANISS

DARTHKANISS Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    The only people this will flop with, if it is a flop, is the hardcore fans. No matter what you do you just can not satisfy everyone and everyone in here will not be satisfied enough. Guaranteed.

DarthBoba likes this.
  23. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    I don't know Avengers made bank. Unless you mean made directly by Disney which Disney does not really do except for non Pixar kids movies.

But no it will not flop and it will not break disney. Disney cannot be broken

24. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    It has a built in audience. There is no way in our life times that anything Star Wars could flop at the movies. They would have to run 2 hours of static for it to do so.

25. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Rox did you used to work at Disney or is that just my imagination?