main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will Disney listen to the fans and give them what they want?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jimstarwarsfan, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Jimstarwarsfan

Jimstarwarsfan Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Sounds like somebody needs a nap. See you in 24.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Let's critique the movies, not each other.

3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I agree. I don't consider myself a troll, but I don't like parts of the PT...namely a certain Gungan. Aside from that annoying character it isn't horrible. But I don't think I should be labled a troll or somebody that is not really a fan of Star Wars because I am not thrilled with certain aspects of the movies.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If Disney listens to the fans, they might "decanonize" the prequels.

5. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    Considering some of the stupid ideas floating around this forum, I should hope nobody ever listens to fans.

Some people actually think Disney will lease the Fox fanfare (there isn't an emoticon that suits)

6. Jimstarwarsfan

Oct 30, 2012
    I was put into carbon freeze! :)

I think the fans will be amazed when they see Episode 7. What i find great is that it's all original storylines, so i hope there's stuff we never even thought off in there. A really mad twist or something. Gonna be an amazing journey anyhow. AlI i want now is some real juicy news to slurp over.

DarthKreVass likes this.
  7. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    It really doesn't matter if we get what we want. When the movie comes out, we'll go see it. Remember TPM? We still complain about it, yet we all went to see it and it's in our DVD and/or Blueray collection.

8. Jimstarwarsfan

Oct 30, 2012
    With a mature Hamill, Fisher and Ford, i expect we will see some great performances.

the potential for these films accross the board is amazing.

LawJedi, Echo-07 and Jedi_Lover like this.
  9. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    No they don't care what fans think

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They'll listen to some things, and they won't listen to other things. Partial deafness.

11. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Hopefully they will have full deafness and not listen to the fans at all. Lucas tried that with the Prequels, and loads of "fans" stil hate it & him.

ObidioJuan likes this.
  12. Neo_3

Neo_3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    Did the fans want Gungans, Jar Jar or Anakin/Padme love story?

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  13. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Yeah, exactly where was the fan service in midi-chlorians, pray tell? I never got the sense that Lucas put that there to make me "happy as a fan."

14. The Crippled God

The Crippled God Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2012
    It's kind of a moot question because "the fans" constitutes a way too large segment of people, all with their own individual thoughts about what the Star Wars sequels should be. Nobody agrees 100% on anything Star Wars. They could scout the Internet and read people's fan fiction or commentaries or whatever, and still not be wiser. They most likely noticed the backlash against the prequels but this doesn't mean that "everybody hates Jar Jar" nor does it mean they can take much meaning away from it, as there are so many factors involved - some people found the set decoration lacking (raises a hand), some found the story too convoluted, some thought there was too much CGI, some thought the amount of CGI was fine etc etc. All they can do - director, actors, producers et al - is to make their vision and hope people like it. Every Star Wars fan will give it a chance, anyway. Bad reviews won't keep me from seeing VII at least once.

15. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    If Disney is smart, and judging by its empire, it is, it won't listen to the fans. Fanwank hardly ever leads to quality material.

ThatWanFromStewjon likes this.
  16. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Actually, yes, I wanted the Anakin/Padme love story. Unfortunately what I got was...well...a total disaster.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  17. smallpaul

smallpaul Jedi Master star 3

Aug 15, 2001
    I would argue that Lucas DID cater to the fans with the PT and it's one of the many things that went wrong. Fans were the ones clamoring to see Yoda fight with a light saber. Fans were the ones who wanted to see the Jedi in power as the guardians of the galaxy. These are the kind of things that work well in our imaginations because the OT did a great job of letting us know just enough about the past that we wanted more. But seeing them was a disappointment.
    Look, you have to cater to the fans to a certain extent. Movie making is a bussiness and you want happy customers. But the storytellers have to know that what the fans think they want may not be what's best for the story.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  18. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    To an extent though thats what he promised us previously that the story would be about, as in thats what he had roughly planned out in his head. Just because the story didn't work(for you) doesn't mean he was catering to the fans on a huge level.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  19. The Crippled God

The Crippled God Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2012
    This I don't get. I don't know anyone who ever wanted to see Yoda wield a lightsaber. The originals made it pretty clear - or so we thought - that Yoda was above using weapons, having become so powerful with the Force. In fact I did not wish to see him at all in the PT because I wanted to keep his introduction in The Empire Strikes Back "fresh" so to speak, but that's beside the point. Who wanted to see Yoda fight and how did they communicate this wish to George Lucas I wonder?
    You could argue that Lucas did the opposite, in fact - he went out of his way to "alter" perception of the backstory: It was Qui-Gon who was Obi-Wan's master, See-Threepio wasn't a factory product but partially (re)built by Anakin Skywalker; Anakin wasn't seduced by the Dark Side of the Force as much as duped into it; Anakin wasn't that cunning after all; wars do make one great; etc. Not saying it's this way just for argument's sake.. :)

20. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I also didn't know of anybody who wanted to see Yoda wielding a lightsaber. Not to say that there couldn't have been people clammering for that...I just never met one. I agree that Yoda should have been above lightsaber dueling. He should be able to put up a hand and the bad guy gets flung through a wall.

21. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    A lot of fans wanted everything explained and shown on the films in the PT, I guess so that things became canon.
    When spoilers leaked here there were fans that liked where the movies were going and others hated them. The fans that wanted everything shown/explained get blamed for the awkward exposition scenes like the force ghosts, death of Padme, birth of the twins, the naming of them.
    Other things that fans wanted since forever was to see wookies fight, the clones, Jedi in power, bigger spaceship battles, etc.
    For me the PT is all about eye candy.
    The OT is mostly about the story and characters.

And let's not forget about Jango and people actually clamoring to see a young Han square off with young Bobba

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Jedi_Lover like this.
  22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    And I'm glad he didn't. The fans don't even know what they want in the first place.

23. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Hold the phone right there: I never clamored to see Yoda using a lightsaber; the only person who ever clamored for Yoda to be doing anything other than what he had been doing - spouting philosophically-minded expository dialogue and moving in a limited space - was George Lucas himself. Lucas had been on record for years and years moaning about how he wished he could get a Yoda that could walk around, and that his hope and intent was for digital technology to advance far enough for him to do that. By approximately 2000-2001, he apparently felt himself ready to finally do it. From the moment I began to see digital technology develop and comprehended what Lucas was talking about doing, I kind of understood in the back of my head that lightsaber use was a possibility, because if you can get a digital character to do one thing, it was also theoretically possible to get him to do other things, including that; but I never thought that to be something the films needed to have in them to work, and I also knew that the idea alone was going to be a hard sell - if anything, I was on the edge of my seat because I was scared it wasn't going to work, and I had sufficient experience by then to know that being profoundly disappointed by things that didn't work in a Star Wars film was a distinct possibility.

There was no fan service there, trust me, unless one considers the premise that he was simply a fan of his own idea, and therefore, if was really servicing anyone at all, it was himself.

24. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    The thread poses the question “Will Disney listen to the fans and give them what they want?” to which I respond which fans?

-The fans who think that there should be armies of Sith, or the fans who think that having even a single darksider in the movies takes a steaming dump on Anakin’s sacrifice?

-The fans who love the choreography of the prequels, or the ones who think its twirly nonsense?

-The fans who think the movies should hold to the Expanded Universe, or the ones who theink EU is a pile of nerfshavit?

I could go on, but I think my point is clear ;)

Veloz, kainee, Valairy Scot and 7 others like this.
  25. smallpaul

smallpaul Jedi Master star 3

Aug 15, 2001
    ^:)^