main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Why all the EU Hatred?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by JediMJS, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It didn't retcon much at all. The glaring this is like you know the Death Star being known after the Rebellion is formed

2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    If Han and Leia have kids, but they're not named Jacen and/or Jaina it would be one big *U to the EU. :)

Ramza Edit: That acronym is not allowed.

LawJedi likes this.
  3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Oops, sorry.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's cool, happens with some frequency and you just happened to get spotted. :p

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  5. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    If there's one thing that Lucas himself has been fairly consistent about with his cribbing of the EU, it's that he's not petty about the names. When Tim Zahn beat him to the punch of naming the capital planet Coruscant instead Had Abbadon, George seemed to roll with the punches. When he became infatuated with the blue Twilek Jedi design from the comics, he didn't feel the need to give Aayla Secura a new name. When a AOTC sith witch design for a character named Asajj Ventress was used for the Clone Wars Mulitmedia Project, and subsequently the Lucas Animation TCW, Lucas wasn't stingy about renaming her, even if other elements of her character got a new Lucas do-over.

I think that if twin Solo kids evolve out of Lucas' story treatments that look, sound, and act like Jaina and Jacen, it's not in the nature of the Maker to be that snotty.

6. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    It's a shame; "Jacen" looks like the trendy "unique" spellings of common names given to kids in the western suburbs of Sydney.

Saurion-Fett and LANDO_ROCKS like this.
  7. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    So true!!

8. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Because of SW! No one spelled it that way until 1992.

Besides SW is supposedly eons ago.

9. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    They should introduce a new race called the Bogans, they come from a planet where everyone's names are spelled incorrectly.

Jacen, Taniia, Jezzica, Richardt, Mikeal, Johhn etc.

Panakas_Dawg and Artoo-Dion like this.
  10. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Classic. (And FWIW, I was born and raised in Sydney's west, so I know it's a stereotype--I just didn't want to use the more accurate term "bogan", lest I confuse the non-Aussie readers.)

11. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    I hate those names...the ones parents "re spell" Hi i'm dave with a slient P

KevinM1 likes this.
  12. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Or better yet, Rick with a silent P.

13. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    lmfao

14. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    ROFL

15. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    are you really timothy zahn??........

16. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Not as described in Vector Prime - the closing ramp blocked Han's view.

17. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Does VP have a higher canon status than DT I? :cool:

18. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Both the same, I think - both part of the same series. Without re-reading I couldn't be sure how far Han had sunk, but it sounds to me like the product of depression (possibly nightmares also). Anakin was the only one in the cockpit, and he sensed Chewie alive just before he had to lift off so that the Falcon (and its load of refugees) survived.

19. The Crippled God

The Crippled God Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2012
    That planet exists already, it's where you find, among other continents, Westeros. :)

20. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    This is actually the one area where I think the people that want to see EU elements in the new films have a legitimate case: in all likelihood there will be fragments of the EU that you recognize - some names, perhaps, some character traits - but they will primarily serve the needs of the story, not the EU; that prioritization has indeed been consistent. Where I diverge from all this is with people's expectations that this would then mean that these elements will be exactly what they were in the EU. They won't be. For instance, the Jacen Solo that might - might - be there will certainly not be the Jacen you grew up with; he'd be what the films need him to be. Same for anyone or anything that gets lifted from the EU if they choose to lift anything at all.

I'm not unsympathetic; in fact, I'd like to think that I understand the plight of people here far more than on any other thread in this forum. Altogether I must have spent tens of thousands of dollars on the EU since it emerged in 1991; I now have to come to terms with the fact that every dime I spent was in all probability spent on stories that now, officially speaking, "did not happen." That's admittedly a slap in the face, but you know what? I'll heal. I have no plans to open my wrists anytime soon. I understand the dynamic that's been presented to me: I'm going to get the whole Star Wars nine-film deaI that I was told about when I was a kid; the price for that is the EU as I currently understand it. And you know what? That's a bargain price.

LawJedi, Krueger and fenton like this.
  21. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Would that really be a bad thing?

I hadn't even though of that multi. media thing that was done with Shadows and Force Unleashed. If Episode VII does make big changes to what the EU has established I would think Lucasfilm/Disney would be stupid not too/have to look at the possiblity of doing something like that with a property set between RotJ and Episode VII. Beyond getting the people to come out of the theater and buy a new book, having a game, comic, novel, animated straight-to-dvd movie all come out within 6 or 12 months would potentially be a huge money maker for them.

We also know they hired writers to work on Episodes VIII and IX. Working that far ahead could be because and/or a sign of that kind of project. Maybe there is a plan to introduce a character in Episode VIII (like Lando in ESB). That character could be introduced first in a big multi. media project. There are just hundreds of possibilities for them going int hat direction.

22. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Well, it's not like Jacen in the EU (or any other character, for that matter) was very consistent anyway.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  23. Luisiana Jones

Luisiana Jones Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2012
    I found Thrawn to be pretty consistant and anyways it would give as a new different kind of bad guy, it's getting a bit boring with all the sith here and there, i just hope they dont find another force sensitive super duber bad guy in a lost corner of the universe...

24. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    This is how far the Han I know would have let this go:

LEIA
    How about "Jason" for the boy? Except we'll spell it "Jacen"? That's hip!

HAN
    (drawing blaster)
    Shut up, Leia.

SuperWatto likes this.
  25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    So true. The EU is special, but I would much rather have a "real" ST. We're actually getting a George Lucas-backed continuation from ROTJ. That is a very big deal. The thought of that is just mind-boggling. I never thought in a million years this board that we're all speaking in would ever exist. Now it does. The "true" forms of Episodes 7, 8 and 9 are going to become a reality. I'm willing to sacrifice great chunks of the EU in order to get that. To me Star Wars has always been about the big screen, not books, comics, toys or video games. That's all great, but Star Wars' true roots have always originated on the big screen. Now it’s going back there, and in pretty spectacular fashion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.