main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Why the NJO and Legacy Era are toast.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by stellarmagic01, Nov 5, 2012.

?

Do you think the NJO and Legacy are going to Survive Episode VII?

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. No

154 vote(s)
    72.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Varguitas

Varguitas Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2012
    The story treatments will come from George. So basically the story will come from him.

2. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    *Story By* = Writing a 10 page summary or treatment upon which real professional writers can build upon.

*Creative Consultant* = In this case a consultant who is turned to as the expert on the universe as to who is capable of doing what, how the force works, and other world building questions.

Yeah... Well you see, I'm more bothered by the second one then the first... He could just come out and say that all the Books do not exists in his vision and... oh... oh wait... Hasn't he basically said that before?

3. Varguitas

Varguitas Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2012
    He's both. He wrote the story treatments and essentially passed them on to Arndt to make a screenplay. And yes, he has said it before that the books are not part of his vision...So much for those guys.

4. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Don't the videos on the official site indicate that he and Kennedy have been working "with a couple of writers" on the script? If so, he's having as much input on the script as he did for ESB and ROTJ: a lot.

Varguitas likes this.
  5. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    UGO.com rated to top 50 expanded universe characters & in at number 1 is Jacen Solo....so it seems a great pitty and waste that Episode 7 , 8 & 9 could not have been based on The Fate of the Jedi novels where Jacen turns to the Dark Side & then dies at the hands of his sister that would have been epic as a Trilogy , I think in George's mind EP 7 , 8 & 9 were never going to be made until recently that is why the expanded universe ran wild post ROTJ so in a way he's shot himself in the foot & he will be a bigger vilian now for stuffing up the expanded universe as sadly it is expected the Expanded universe will be re-booted whether it's a big re-boot remains to be seen .

6. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    To be quite honest, I never really cared that much for the NJO/Legacy era, so I wouldn't be all that upset if that was rendered N-canon. But I do like a lot of the material up to that point, so I hope that won't get tossed out.

7. Sith_Knight087

Sith_Knight087 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    ''The EU's gonna be changed and their gonna remove NJO and Legacy era's from canon''... That's just a scaremongering **** rumor made in an attempt kill off a loyal fanbase.

Gotta star out the whole word

8. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    I wouldn't completely discount the rumor though.

9. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm not saying it that way... I'm just adding up the situation and coming to that conclusion. I mean, can anyone say The Mandalorian Plot in TCW? That was relatively minor and they included elements of Karen Traviss's Mandalorians (including mando'a) but, it was a dramatic sea change in how the Mandalorian people were perceived. Also in TCW Characters have been resurrected several times sometimes just to be given different deaths scenes.

George may only be a 'creative consultant' but he wrote a story treatment for these films, and he has shown consistency a willingness to overwrite EU authors work... the only one he seems to have been willing to bend away from his version for was using Zahn's name instead of his own for Imperial Center.

When George said previously that the third trilogy would be about the restoration of the Republic, do you think he'll use the Galactic Federation of Free Alliances? When George dropped Chewie into Revenge of the Sith, do you think he wasn't going to use him in VII (especially when there was rumors about a clause for VII, VIII, and IX in the actor's contract?)

A fanbase that is unwilling to adjust or drop works for new material is a declining fanbase... because it's not growing anymore. A reboot is something that tends to extend the life expectancy of a franchise because it allows for a start point for new readers. The Bantam Era of the EU is actually easier to get into because there isn't the 9+ overarching series, most are at most trilogies. Three books and you got an adventure with the people you knew before.

You really think that once VII hits people will rush to learn about Jaina Solo killing her brother? What if they use both twins in the movie, or create new children?

Even in a reboot I wouldn't expect it all to be wiped away... character relationships, children, and so forth will likely stay the same. The Thrawn Trilogy is just about sacred with it's fanbase and mainstream acknowledgement, so it won't be affected but likely incorporated no matter what happens. DC's new 52 made a number of mistakes, one of them was refusing to keep successful pairings and relationships between characters, but they never would wipe away the Killing Joke storyline, it's a classic.

The same can be said of some things in the EU... The Thrawn Trilogy and what it spawned is a good example (Mara Jade, Jacen Solo, Jaina Solo, Talon Karrde, and Thrawn are all enormous figures that have a pretty fair chance of being mentioned or incorporated) but the NJO is just too destructive and galaxy changing to use in the continuity and not show on screen.

If I was in charge of the continuity, I'd have the NJO, Legacy, and Fate be an alternate 'dark' continuity. I'd turn to Zahn and say. "You remember talking about using a Thrawn Clone against an alien threat that only he could stop? Why don't you rewrite the Vong War as a trilogy using that idea? Keep it smaller scale, so it doesn't destroy everything and cause the New Republic to fall, but at least we'll still have a neat feature like that in the new continuity."

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004

The thing is, it’s not really a rumour and it’s certainly not scaremongering. Its just people putting two and two together and coming up with the reality that the EU will more than likely be hit extremely hard by the new trilogy. Post-ROTJ EU has seen so much happen. So much. Characters dying, characters turning to the dark side, a race from another galaxy almost destroying everything. There is just too much baggage for a new trilogy, especially a trilogy that will more than likely be based around 35 years or so after ROTJ. People who are asking for the makers to fully acknowledge the EU are asking far too much, IMO. It’s almost asking the impossible, quite frankly, as it will cause their hands to be tied far too tightly. The filmmakers (including Lucas) will more than likely want to do their own thing and not become slaves to the EU. I don't see why they shouldn't want that.

Artoo-Dion and Varguitas like this.
  11. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Your'e assuming they want to use what Zahn created in that Thrawn trilogy. Lucas may not want to have Jacen and Jaina be Han and Leia's children, he'll probably want to have them be his vision of their children. He may not want Luke to be in a romantic relationship with anyone. He may have his own villian in mind etc...

12. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    I also don't know why people aren't excited about the possiblity of a new, fresh EU. New stories, new characters, new directions etc....

Artoo-Dion , entermemo and Varguitas like this.
  13. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    I think it's because many of us have grown so familiar with the EU characters and stories, they've become as essential to us as the films.

14. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    The reason why is the same reason a number of DC fans are angry with the New 52. We've already been sold on certain characters, we read for certain characters, we're fans for certain experiences, when you suddenly don't have Lois Lane married to Superman or Luke and Mara together, people get angry. When you get rid of it all, you get rid of the things we read for.

Can a new EU be successful, yes. Can they keep the same fanbase without trying to reconcile some of it with the new direction? No.

15. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    nice analogy. never really thought about like that. obviously there is going to be some discrepancies in EU but you always have the option of either accepting Episode VII or you could always go back and deal with the EU the way it is now.

16. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    The question is, would the non-E7 EU stories keep on coming?

17. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    Probably not, or at least not the post-RoTJ arcs since they seem to be a product of the Del Rey editorial team... since they loose the license in 2014, it'd probably come to a close, and I don't see Disney Hyperion publishing two separate lines of post-RoTJ and ST works.

18. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    look at star trek. they kept putting out stories even though they contradicted what was going on on the shows and in the movies.

19. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Story arcs are one thing, characters and characterisations are another.

20. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009

That analogy is deeeeeeeeply flawed, because DC isn't beholden to a film franchise. And even if they were to factor in their film aspirations in a cynical economic way, they haven't. Haven't succeeded. Comic book Clark is dating Wonder Woman. Meanwhile, Amy Adams is playing Lois as the female lead in Man of steel. So much for synergy!

But Star Wars will always be beholden to the film franchise. And in spite of the protests, every fan knows that.

Artoo-Dion and Krueger like this.
  21. cronedoggy

cronedoggy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    I know the NJO was a 19 book "era", but I think the 5 hardbacks were meant to be the core of the story. The other 14 were single books and duologies that flesh out the time periods. Maybe the NJO era should be more compared to the 38 Bantam era books that fill from ROTJ to the end of the empire. There are 10 books in the x-wing series, which is pretty massive.

I haven't read the NJO since highschool, maybe I should read the "main 5" to see how they stack up. I was always a big hesitant to read all 19 again.

22. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah, there are 10 X-wing books, but the Rogue Squadron Trilogy is one story, the Wraith Squadron Trilogy is another story (With Courtship of Princess Leia as a sort of 'fourth' book), Isard's Revenge, Starfighters of Adumar, and so forth are pretty self contained stories and easy to just pickup and read.

23. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    [quote="stellarmagic01, post: 50217759, member: 1374730
    Yeah, there are 10 X-wing books, but the Rogue Squadron Trilogy is one story, the Wraith Squadron Trilogy is another story (With Courtship of Princess Leia as a sort of 'fourth' book), Isard's Revenge, Starfighters of Adumar, and so forth are pretty self contained stories and easy to just pickup and read.[/quote]

*Gentle voice* But there are four Stackpole X-Wing novels set before the Allston 'Wraith' series.

24. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    Damn, I forgot one, no wonder my math was getting 9 novels not 10.

Rogue Squadron, Wedge's Gamble, The Krytos Trap, and The Bacta War

25. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    That's them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.