main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Also: should Hondo know Dooku is a Sith Lord?

2. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

red lightsaber... isn't it obvious? and Obi Wan and Anakin said he is one when they were captured, so? everybody knows

3. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I didn't think the general populace knew about it, but if it came up in that Ani/Obi arc, that would explain it.

On the "thousand generations" thing - given the context, he could just mean he's gone through a thousand rounds of cadets. Even assuming he doesn't go through this personally with every single Jedi, he'd still have at least a few groups per year. I don't think "generation" always needs to mean twenty years.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  4. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Pfft. Where is the fun in that?

They kicked Vong arse where much newer droids failed.

That's how Hyperlanes work. Sometimes you have to make a giant detour.

Good point....especially since in Revival, which takes place after this episode, Anakin and Obi-Wan have to explain what a Sith is to Hondo, and the episode commentary said that was done specifically to show that knowledge of the Sith was generally limited.

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Hondo is obviously more well educated than Bail Organa, so yes.

CeiranHarmony and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  6. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    :oops:
    In that case, we really do need to look into what happened in the other Dooku/Hondo story. It's possible he heard Ani or Obi call him that, and thus repeated it later, but didn't really understand what it meant.

7. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd take this show more seriously if it could at least pay attention to it's own continuity

8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Absolutely, Xim's Warbots were constantly in use for 25,000 years and not sitting inert for the vast majority of that time.

9. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    It is Hondo, of course he knew what it meant, he just played dumb to squeeze more intel out of Kenobi if possible :p

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Hondo is good buddies with Cynabar.

11. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Well, if we are willing to ignore the behind the scenes commentary and go by what happened in universe alone, then the obvious solution would be that Hondo knows what a Sith Lord is and just doesn't know Maul is one.

12. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Beautiful arc. Honestly far better than what I expected, Hondo (as usual) and Grievous (for once) stole the show. I still am flustered that we don't see him get any jedi kills on screen these days (while Savage knocks them off left and right), but at least he makes a 'reference' to his collection for once. This was also a better duel to watch than even his one against Ventress (as he pretty much lost that even if he won the battle itself).

Also, I demand to see Huyang in Dawn of the Jedi. He is in fact 'that' old and I have no problem with it at all. As others have suggested, his body may have changed over time, but he'd be a great choice for a cameo. Also a fairly appropriate role for a Doctor Who actor to play if he's 'that' old. I also hope Tennant gets another chance to be in the ST (He is supposedly quite the SW fanboy). It seems like something he'd absolutely relish, and it give him the chance to be something else famous other than 'just' the 10th doctor.

Here's hoping the next arc is as entertaining, even if it is more droid adventures.

13. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Fixed. The Artoo-Threepio capers are the best things the show has ever produced. Throw Robo-doctor Ollivander into the next one and you won't get a complaint out of me.

14. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I don't know, I can't get on board the Hondo love train, I'm afraid. He just seems like such a... caricature. He seems like he's meant to fill the "snarky, amoral pirate that sometimes is a decent guy" role, but doesn't really have a very interesting personality or any specific traits to make him notable outside fulfilling a role, similar to Cad Bane. Frankly, most of TCW's original characters have a distinct lack of personality, at least to me. But then again, character has never really been a strong point of Star Wars movies (and TCW, but of course, it's a kids show).

Of course, my opinion of Hondo is probably influenced by the part of me that will never forgive him for being introduced in what is, in my humble opinion, the worst arc of TCW; the two episode sequence of "Dooku Captured" and "Gungan General". Dooku getting his lightsaber stolen by a monkey lizard and imprisoned, Obi-Wan and Anakin are imprisoned just as easily, and subsequently decide not to arrest Hondo for kidnapping (and likely all of the other bad things pirates do that obviously cannot be shown on a kids television show) because, like, it's the right thing to do. :rolleyes:

15. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    Where'd Obi-Wan's lightsaber come from in The Gungan General? He didn't take one with him.

16. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    Dawn of the Jedi takes place way before Huyang was even programed. he's only like 1,000 years old. but i would like to see him more as well.

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    The issue is, he says he's taught Jedi for a thousand generations, which suggests 20-25 thousand years, not one. It's not absolute, but it does seem to be what the episode is suggesting.

18. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Pfft. The droid lies.

I mean, seriously, its creator made it look like a Sith. He was obviously up to something. Do. Not. Trust.

19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Which is an even better argument for him being that old. :p

20. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    In all fairness, one line says generations, every other says a thousand years. Can be a slip up or something.

21. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    His profile says this:
    "Huyang loyally served the Jedi Order from its earliest days. All Jedi who wielded a lightsaber came into contact with Huyang near the start of their training."

22. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    It also says that he oversaw lightsaber construction for "centuries", not millennia - and that he served on the Crucible for "over a thousand years", a ship that dates from "the Old Republic" - considering how the CWAS views the current Republic being only a 1000 years old, it could easily being referring to the Jedi Order being the same. Certainly the other parts of the entry support that view.

23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Or he could've spent the first 24 thousand years of his service as a vacuum cleaner.

Zorrixor and Mazzic like this.
  24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Or the writers just can't count. :p

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The "thousand generations" debate strikes again!