main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Altair You a New One: The Assassin's Creed Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, May 14, 2010.

1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Bold words indeed, since Ezio's journey was very compelling from start to finish.

So without spoiling things too much, does Connor's (and Desmond's) story end here or is there a possibility for future Connor episodes/pseudo sequels like it happened with Ezio?

2. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Ezio is certainly a more likeable guy. If I met them both in real life I'd rather hang around Ezio and would probably tell Connor to get that stick out of his butt.

What I will say is that the story that began with Desmond in AC1 has pretty much come to a conclusion. I would be shocked if they tried to continue it. Connor's story that began at the beginning of AC3 comes to an end by the end of the game and there aren't really that many lingering questions about him. It is possible we could see some more of Connor, although I would see that as somewhat unlikely.

As for the AC franchise itself, they do some stuff at the end of the game that does leave you with some new questions about what's going to happen next. I wouldn't be surprised to keep seeing yearly releases.

3. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    The Gamespot review suggests that AC3 gives the idea that there will be an upcoming Desmond game.

Anyway, I've started playing Revelations again (hadn't played it since ME3 came out). Revelations isn't so bad once you get enough Master Assassins to stop that stupid tower defense thing.

I do wish they had done a better job with Desmond's animus island levels, though. Those are so awful that they're almost unplayable.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Does AC3's story work on its own?

Thinking about checking it out eventually, curious if I need to play through the others (I know some are more essential than others) or if I'll be ok overall even if u miss out in some details

5. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    For Desmond's part of the story, there's some recap at the beginning of AC3 that explains some of the larger plot points. Other smaller touches, like the personal relationships, might not make much sense. But those show up mostly in optional conversations/emails out of the animus.

For Connor's story you don't really need any prior knowledge to understand what's going on.
    I purposely went out of my way to keep my notoriety as low as possible so I wouldn't have to deal with that tower defense thing. Ugh!

I also thought those Desmond levels were mostly garbage. I really liked that they fleshed him out as a character, but it was somewhat lost on me since I was concentrating on that janky platforming.

6. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Connor doesn't really have an attitude, per se...
    The primary issue is that Connor is such a genuinely nice, soft-spoken, and all-around good guy, that when he does get angry and has an outburst, it seems so fiercely opposite to the person that you've been seeing 95% of the time. And his extreme nice guy personality is also the root of that anger: because he's a good person who believes in honesty, integrity, helping out, and being kind, he expects that from others in return and gets kind of pissed when people often disappoint.

I very much enjoyed Connor, though as of now I have to agree that Ezio's has been the most compelling and enjoyable of the stories presented so far, with Altair's lonely existence of fighting through near-constant loss coming in a close second. That said, I really liked Connor as a character and the place his story ended in ACIII leaves not only an abundant amount of potential continuation, but a blank slate that's practically begging to be filled.

Truthfully, I would say that it does largely work on its own, as the introductory video explains most of the central aspects from the previous games. There will be names and situations that get dropped that someone new to the franchise wouldn't likely understand, but they're...I suppose I could say mostly minor. However, I really and truly recommend starting from the beginning to get the full impact, or at least watching a "Story Walkthrough" on YouTube if the prospect of buying each game is out of the question. It will be all the more emotionally satisfying that way, believe me.

7. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Just finished Revelations. Very good game despite its flaws.
    Anyone seen Assassin's Creed Embers? It's pretty much a farewell to our beloved Ezio.

Ezio was definitely one of gaming's best characters. Sad to see him finally bow out.

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I don't know if I can play this one; the assassin (Desmond ancestor) working for the bad guys against the good guys? Hmmm.

9. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    LOL. Plenty of chances to off some upstart Yankees as well.

Denied 100% completion by one of the numerous weird glitches in this game. After 40 hours I won't be starting again. A compelling game though and well worth playing (though agreed the convoy thing is weird as hell. Easiest way to make money is just bear hunting; why bother with crafting?)

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yay! Uppity Yankees.

11. Jedi_padawan_leigh

Jedi_padawan_leigh Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    I am loving this game! Finally reached sequence 6 but have yet to start the main missions due to be distracted for hours doing stuff in the frontier. (Though I have encountered a rather annoying bug during one of the optional side missions, which looks like it will hinder being able to get 100% synch :( )

Warming more and more towards Connor as I play through the game. I really liked Ezio in the previous games but I think I'm going to have a new favourite assassin come the end of this game

12. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I keep hearing about weird bugs in the game. What kind and where do they occur?

13. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    I didn't run across very many bugs. Every now and then a random townsperson would just disappear when I was running around. I think I might have been pretty lucky.

However, I did get an extremely annoying bug where at the end of the one of my quests I got the popup where it tells me what my reward was. Then EVERY SINGLE FREAKING TIME I entered a new area, respawned, or restarted my game I got that message again. EVERY TIME.

14. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    Here's one of the best glitches:

15. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Yeah I got this...thousands of pieces of eden apparently!

Also I am stuck on 11/12 for Underground entrances in New York (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/621797-assassins-creed-iii/64561390) and it says my Assassin Contracts aren't done but there are no markers left on the map. No game breakers but no 100% either.

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The contracts don't show on the map until you personally come across the contact with the contracts. I'm sure there's a map of contract locations for you to check.

17. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    My idiot brother let it slip yesterday that the ending "sucks". Considering I already had my fill this year of highly anticipated third parts of popular trilogies ending up with crappy endings, this along with the mission breaking or otherwise weird bugs really dissapoints me. AC3 - just like ME3 before it - seems like a textbook example of "overhype". Oh well, at least I can say without a doubt now that AC2 was indeed the best installment.

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Why do they call it Assassin's Creed 3 if it's not a sequel to Assassin's Creed 2?

19. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Just a guess here... A new numbered installment indicates that you're going to be experiencing a new assassin. It's the next evolution for the series. Besides a new numbered installment doesn't always have to be a direct sequel to the game that came before it. It doesn't even have to have anything at all to do the game that came before. See the Final Fantasy or GTA series.

20. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I didn't think the ending sucks. And I don't think you can say that at all. WTF? Am I to understand you haven't even played it?

21. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I got this on black friday and I JUST got to playing as kid Connor. This game certainly feels longer and bigger than previous instalments

22. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Nope, haven't even bought it yet. I'll get around to it soon though, if only because I'm looking for a time sinker this holiday season.

23. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    IIRC, you didn't like the ending to AC2 either. And I remember AC2 being buggy also.

24. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Er, I really had no problem with the ending for AC2, silly fistfight with Fat Spanish Bastard notwithstanding. Neither with Brotherhood, which was pretty damn good for an "expansion". I wish the Ezio "cycle" had ended there. The shocking ending of Revelations would've been a nice cliffhanger to start a AC3 proper. But it really doesn't matter now, does it?

25. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I believe you hated that Ezio waited until Brotherhood to finish the Borgias