main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Lawrence Kasdan may write Episode 8

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Serpico Jones, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I wonder they will collaborate across the three projects - kind of like the Pixar brains trust.

2. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I'd imagine they'll have to. Their telling one big story and they'll have to collaborate to keep the continuity so that it doesn't look like 3 different movies.

I posted a thread about Disney shooting them simultaneously. I think if people thought about the ST as 3 TV episodes it would make more sense. In TV they are always working on multiple episodes at a time.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The other two films got mixed reviews too. People like to forget that though, so never mind.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  4. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    True, but Star Wars (ANH) was the best received while ROTJ was the worst, worse than the prequels (by the critics, kids still loved it of course).

5. smallpaul

smallpaul Jedi Master star 3

Aug 15, 2001
    Bring Gary Kurtz out of retirement!!!!

6. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Who needs Kurtz if you have Kathleen Kennedy and Kasdan as one of the producers?

7. smallpaul

Aug 15, 2001
    This may be very true and I hope it is. All I know is that when Kurtz was around we had amazing movies, when he wasn't we had toy commercials.

8. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    All he did was add dialogue to Lucas's stories. And there were plenty of toys manufactured for ANH & ESB.

9. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Lucas got himself merchandising right before anyone knew there was value in that. Obviously, he had more at stake with the prequels, but I highly doubt selling toys was his primary motivation. Otherwise, why take such a long break after ROTJ, when the interest for Star Wars went from hot to almost nil.

Echo-07 likes this.
  10. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    This simply is not accurate with regard to ESB. Kasdan helped develop the story with Lucas and Kershner, and quite beyond mere witty dialogue, Kasdan brought three-dimensional, genuine human characterization to the piece.

However, I will agree that dialogue is mostly what he brought to ROTJ, as he was not as involved in the planning and development of that film.

11. Darth Swede

Darth Swede Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 4, 2012
    Could be. I loved ROTJ when it was released, but fair enough; I was 8 years at the time and had waited for the movie "forever" (= 1 year?). I still love it (Ewoks and all), but of course it's hard to say how I would rate it if it was released today.

Anyway, Kasdan involved in the writing of the ST is great news in my book.

12. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The basic outline was there in the Brackett draft: ice planet, Han/Leia on the MF, Degobah, Cloud City etc. There isn't much story to ESB anyway. As for "three dimensional genuine human characterization" - meh. so far, I think RotJ & TCW have had the fullest characterizations but to each their own...But I like Kasdan, I have nothing against his coming back.

13. Samurai-Jack

Samurai-Jack Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 9, 2001
    Star Wars: How Writers Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg Will Expand the Galaxy
    Sources tell THR that each will write separate projects, not necessarily "Episode 8" and "Episode 9" -- a plan similar to Marvel's movies around "The Avengers."

14. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    That's interesting. Thanks for posting Samurai-Jack. That might explain why we've seen no official confirmation from LF/DIsney.

15. Samurai-Jack

Samurai-Jack Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 9, 2001
    Your welcome

16. smallpaul

Aug 15, 2001
    I can see this happening. It may be what needs to happen. If Disney bought Lucasfilm to make money (hint: they did) then they are going to want to franchise the hell out of it. I can easily see them applying the Marvel template to Star Wars. They won't be able to crank out as many films if they try and tell a linear story vs. branching out to side stories.
    I for one will silently be waiting for an IG-88 movie:p

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    As long as it's consistently good and doesn't turn into nonsensical childhood-destroying straight-to-DVD crap I'm fine with it. I'm glad Disney has kind of stopped doing that. Might be because they got rid of Eisner, but I'm not entirely sure.

18. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Would be cool to see a live action Shadows of the Empire movie.

19. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Interesting, though I was hoping Kasdan would be onboard with Episode VIII or IX.

Let's see which rumor turns out to be true, because it appears then that Arndt will be writing the script for the first three movies.

20. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I want the two to write VIII-IX and then do spin offs after IX comes out.

21. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    That's a myth. They panned the old movies for their merchandising. The Empire Strikes Back gave the world Darth Vader Underoos, after all.

22. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I hope this means a Joe Johnston Boba Fett spin-off :).

23. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Ah, the memories...

24. smallpaul

Aug 15, 2001
    I"m not saying they still didn't make tons of toys. I'm saying the movies themselves had a purpose other than selling toys. No one will convince me the Ewoks had any artistic merit other than making boatloads of cash.

25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I'm going to be a bit of a "negative nelly" here for a moment. I'm quite lukewarm on this whole "spin off Avengers-style" thing. It could serve to cheapen Star Wars. I mean, really badly. Despite what Joe Johnson says, I don’t really want to see a “Boba Fett movie”. Personally, even after Episodes 7, 8 and 9 I still think they should stick to the trilogy format.

xezene, spoooooky and -NaTaLie- like this.