main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will Disney listen to the fans and give them what they want?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jimstarwarsfan, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Llew

Llew Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    I hope that Lucasfilm makes a series of films for a whole new generation. Disney didn't buy LFL just because of the past, they bought it because of the future potential Star Wars has. That future only grows by creating new fans in a younger generation, and that doesn't happen by dragging in a whole pile of references to the past, the EU, or even the OT and PT. I expect a few nods to older material for the parents in the crowd, but I don't expect LFL to make a movie that requires any previous viewing of Star Wars movies. Avengers is a perfect example of this: you didn't need to see Thor, Iron Man, or Hulk to keep up with the movie. Seeing those other movies helped with appreciation for the movie, but weren't prerequisites to sitting down in the theater. Star Wars should be exactly the same, and frankly, I think it's one of the best things the PT does right. You don't have to have ever seen the OT to understand the PT, and the movies make perfect sense whether you watched them as 4-5-6-1-2-3, or if you watched them simply as 1-2-3-4-5-6. In fact, I really hope it's not a true "sequel" trilogy, in the sense of it relying on the OT for its groundwork. The ST can and should be its own, independent trilogy, watchable with or without knowing anything about the other two.

kainee likes this.
  2. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    While you make some interesting points I disagree. I don't think Disney bought SW just start fresh. The fans are a legion, a worldide multitude that knows these films and series. Disney will build on what came bfore. What I agree with is that they will start to break new ground, but it won't be at the expense of the first 6 and it won't be done without properly bridging the old with the new, IE the connective tissue of characters from ROTJ to Episode 7. Also, I expect we'll see a whole new series of films starting at an older time frame like The Old Republic days with plenty of Sith and Jedi.

3. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    Dude, it was meant to be a disaster - he was selfish brat who had no respect for the rules and she married a mass murder (and neglected to mention the crime to anyone.)

;)

Veloz and Panakas_Dawg like this.
  4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Anakin/Padmé love story was a given. Which fan didn't expect that it would be portrayed? Did the fans even knew what Gungans or Jar Jar were like? And what's wrong with Gungans? That's like asking "did the fans want Mon Calamari?"

Was that ever about "make the fans happy/sad"? I don't think so.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Echo-07 like this.
  5. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012

Actually, I had thought (until actually watching play out in AOTC***) that the Padme/Anakin romance was a red herring of sorts, especially after seeing the "Jedi shall not know love" teaser.

I had thought that he would love her, but she would not be interested, or be too responsible to reciprocate, and it would be revealed that Luke and Leia's mother would be one of her handmaidens that Anakin seeks comfort with, and hence how Vader and Palpatine are unaware that Luke and Leia exist.

In hindsight, I saw that was too adult a scenario and would mean Anakin was a less sympathetic character if he used and cast aside a young woman.

*** Although when he butchered the Tuskens I thought "here we go - she'll reject him now".

kainee likes this.
  6. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Well, we always knew that Anakin was "seduced by the Dark Side." I was convinced that Anakin was going to be seduced by a Sith Witch, convinced it would be Darth Ventress in ROTS, cheating on Padme etc... But maybe that's just too common, cheating that is -- not Sith Witch seduction. LOL

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Well, it knocked me sideways that Padme didn't run a mile after Anakin's confession to mass murder - I hadn't expected the "dark side" to be in Luke and Leia's mother too

Echo-07 likes this.
  8. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    I think Disney will hit a homerun. They didn't buy it to fail. Disney gave us The Avengers and Pirates of the Caribbean for starters. Star Wars, granted is on a whole new level than those two, but because of the hands off approach on the Avengers (ie hiring the right staff, writer, director etc) it is a good indication of what to expect from further Star Wars episodes. This is also the 1st SW movie to feature an ACADEMY Award-winning writer! I, for one, am stoked! All I can say is BRING IT ON!!!

9. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    =D=

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  10. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    How exactly is that surprising? Luke's reaction to the discovery that Vader is his father is not to disown the man and reject any ties to him, rather, he tries to save him, despite the fact that by that point, his father had held down his sister as she was forced to watch her planet destroyed, been complicit in said planetary destruction, tortured his sister and his best friends, and cut off Luke's own hand.

And Luke has not yet seen one indication of remorse, regret, or guilt from his father for the above actions. Yet he still says "come with me, father."

Padmé, at the very least, had the benefit of knowing Anakin and seeing his heroic deeds (like saving her life), saw his regret, and knew there were some extremely strong extenuating circumstances.

Like mother, like son, I suppose one could say.

-NaTaLie- and kainee like this.
  11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Were white people afraid of the KKK?

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Will Disney listen to the fans and give them what they want?

I hope not. As I have witnessed most fans have an opinion that is rather horrid. Disney needs to sit back and as painstakingly as possible look at what makes SW fun and of high quality. It is not necessary to make every film an epic hero journey, there are interesting things in the films besides Luke's journey.

13. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Good point, but Luke took time to take it all in - and he had spent his whole life longing to know his father. You could say, he HAD to believe he could be better.

Padme hadn't seen Anakin in ten years and he was now a completely different person. She really barely knew him and even attempted to justify Anakin's actions by telling him "to be angry is human". And, if even Anakin knew what he had done was wrong, so should Padme and she should have known the guy was in trouble but she choose to ignore it.

However, even before all of that - since TPM - I had thought that Padme being Luke and Leia's mother was "too obvious" and suspected there would be more to it.

I guess that was partially the influence of the EU (since Luke still hadn't discovered the identity of his mother - granted Lucas that EU on purpose) and, as I recall, none of the information on Padme at the time of TPM actually stated that she was the mother. Or at least, none that I saw.

14. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    I would imagine so - but I didn't mean she would be "afraid" as such, but seeing as she claimed to represent "justice for all" or the like, you'd think the slaughter of a whole tribe of people would make make her think twice as to whether the young man was suitable boyfriend material. ;)

15. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    But Luke didn't know his father at all. He had an image in his mind of what his father could be, but it clearly wasn't the truth. And honestly, I find it hard to believe that Luke HAD to believe he could be better given what Anakin did, not only in terms of his role as a commander of the Empire, but what he did to Luke personally -- and to Leia and Han. In my experience, it is generally far harder to forgive others for hurting people you love.

Padmé at least knew Anakin more than Luke knew his father -- Luke and Anakin had one duel in which Anakin basically said platitudes about the Dark Side then cut off his hand. They never had a conversation about anything and yet, Luke is telling Obi-Wan that he can't kill his father and that there is still good in him. Based on what?

Padmé's home planet had been saved by Anakin. And yes, ten years passed, but then Padmé witnessed Anakin save her life and then rush off to help Obi-Wan (saving him in the process as well). Then, at least, they got to spend some time together on Naboo. She knew him as a person. Knew that he had a sometimes difficult relationship with Obi-Wan, but still loved him, and knew he deeply loved and cared for his mother. She knew him significantly more than Luke knew Vader.

And Anakin's actions, while terrible, weren't some spontaneous cold-blooded display of cruelty or sadism. He killed in response to trauma -- to his mother's death. Which is a very different thing from cold-bloodedly torturing people simply to lure your son out of hiding.

She knew he had problems, but I think she wanted to help him, because she knew he had good in him. She had seen it herself. Plus, Anakin actually looked like he was shocked, upset, and felt guilt for what he did. When did Vader ever display that for Luke to want to save him?

I'm just saying, if people aren't willing to given Padmé a pass for believing in Anakin, I don't see why Luke gets one.

FRAGWAGON and kainee like this.
  16. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Agreed. There are as many fan factions as there were senators in the Old Republic. And we don't agree hence waste many an hour debating here. :)

17. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    But yet he did.

He had little to go on but his feelings and his image of a father.

Padmé at least knew Anakin more than Luke knew his father -- Luke and Anakin had one duel in which Anakin basically said platitudes about the Dark Side then cut off his hand. They never had a conversation about anything and yet, Luke is telling Obi-Wan that he can't kill his father and that there is still good in him. Based on what?

Padmé's home planet had been saved by Anakin. And yes, ten years passed, but then Padmé witnessed Anakin save her life and then rush off to help Obi-Wan (saving him in the process as well). Then, at least, they got to spend some time together on Naboo. She knew him as a person. Knew that he had a sometimes difficult relationship with Obi-Wan, but still loved him, and knew he deeply loved and cared for his mother. She knew him significantly more than Luke knew Vader.

And Anakin's actions, while terrible, weren't some spontaneous cold-blooded display of cruelty or sadism. He killed in response to trauma -- to his mother's death. Which is a very different thing from cold-bloodedly torturing people simply to lure your son out of hiding.

She knew he had problems, but I think she wanted to help him, because she knew he had good in him. She had seen it herself. Plus, Anakin actually looked like he was shocked, upset, and felt guilt for what he did. When did Vader ever display that for Luke to want to save him?

I'm just saying, if people aren't willing to given Padmé a pass for believing in Anakin, I don't see why Luke gets one.[/quote]

Luke bases his belief on what the Force told him about Vader/Anakin.

They had a "spiritual" connection the likes of which Padme couldn't understand.

She had only known Anakin a few days/weeks out of ten years, and was a champion of freedom and justice. She of all people should have known what Anakin had done was wrong - no matter the cause.

However, I think you misunderstand me - I'm merely using the point to explain how I thought the romance with Padme could have been purposeful distraction to the "true identity" of Luke and Leia's mother.

It was just something I thought could/would happen - I was just open to the possibility of both but I leaned more to the handmaiden idea.

kainee likes this.
  18. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    I just want to see somebody wear Mickey Mouse Underwear. If Disney does not do this, they are idiots..

19. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    Which, as I've pointed out, are less than Padmé had of Anakin. If anything, I would think knowing Anakin as an innocent child would make it far more difficult for her to condemn him. Rather than Luke, who merely had an imagined dream of his father and didn't actually know the man.

Nope, otherwise, Obi-Wan and Yoda would have felt this too. They also had the Force and yet they didn't believe there was any good left in Vader, which you can hardly blame them for, given that Anakin is in large part responsible for the deaths of almost everyone they knew and loved. So it's got nothing to do with the Force.

And it has nothing to do with being a blood relation either -- Leia pleaded with Luke not to go after Vader. She wanted him to run away and hide and she certainly doesn't have Luke's faith that he can be turned back.

There is no evidence of a spiritual connection and it is in fact contradicted by the way other characters react to Anakin in the OT. Luke is unique in his faith. Just as Padmé was by the end of ROTS.

So? That's still significantly more time than Luke knew Anakin. And Luke had only ever seen his father do evil acts which he displayed no regret for. And yet he still insisted to Obi-Wan that there was good in Anakin.

Plus, you are assuming that just because she chose to be there for Anakin meant that she didn't recognize he what he did was wrong. But there is a difference between understanding that a person has done evil and condemning them as an evil person. Padmé refuses to do the latter. Given that Anakin saved her planet, saved her life, and then right after was willing to risk his life for his master, I think she understandably saw good in him. Also, there's the little fact that Anakin's actions were precipitated by his mother's death by torture and that he clearly displayed guilt and anguish over them. Given that he was about to leave to defend the Republic from the Separatists as well, I don't think that what Padmé did was in any way less reasonable than what Luke did. In fact, Luke's actions are far more difficult to buy and yet no one ever criticizes him as being "dark" for believing in Anakin on far less evidence.

Plus, you seem to forget that Padmé is remarkably idealistic. She could have killed Nute Gunray in the palace of Theed (there were no witnesses besides her guards) and yet she doesn't. Even when he retains control of the Trade Federation, tries to assassinate her, and launches a war with the Separatists, Padmé is still advocating that diplomacy be resumed in ROTS. Of anyone in the PT, she has the most reason to want to see Nute Gunray blasted to bits, and yet she always advocates otherwise. She tries to see the good in others and even questions her own side, describing the war as a "failure to listen."

And I merely took it as an opportunity to point out a double-standard between the characters.

This is why I get nervous for the ST, because if people are going to hold the ST characters to different standards, there's going to be a lot of unhappiness and disappointment.

Regardless, though, if Disney gave me exactly what I wanted, then we wouldn't be seeing Episode VII. No, instead we'd have:

Star Wars Episode IV 1/2: The Adventures of Piett and Vader in Space

kainee likes this.
  20. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I agree, let’s not criticize each other; we all have our own opinion. Cause I don’t see the prequels as an average film. And I’m sorry about the whole troll remark. I just get so tired of the endless hate I don’t think they deserve.

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. Jimstarwarsfan

Jimstarwarsfan Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    thats fine.i guess if we all thought the same this forum would be boring. i do like the pt just bits that annoy me.:)

yodasbum and darklordoftech like this.
  22. GreedoCMZ

GreedoCMZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 13, 1999
    The prequels were good, but not perfect. They were at the very least true visual spectacles that were inspiring to many. A lot of the complaints about it came because the PT was released after the advent of the WWW and the OT wasn't, so the complaints were allowed to fester for far longer than normal. Having said that I do think there's certain things about it that should be avoided in the ST.

23. MMcKerry

MMcKerry Jedi Youngling

Dec 13, 2012
    Yes, white Jews and Catholic's!

24. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    This =D=

25. MMcKerry

MMcKerry Jedi Youngling

Dec 13, 2012
    That point aside, if a member of my family had intimated they had just perpetrated mass murder, children included. I would most certainly be beating a path to the authorities.