main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Jude Watson

Discussion in 'Literature' started by movieguy12, Nov 26, 2012.

1. movieguy12

movieguy12 Jedi Padawan

Nov 9, 2012
    Hello are the Jude Watson Series any good or worth owning? Ive been recommended them and they have good reviews on amazon but i was curious about a little more detailed reviews..

2. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked it for nostalgia value but I would probably pick it apart based on mischaricterzations granted I liked last of the Jedi

3. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    I have enjoyed them, easy reads and some memorable characters...

4. movieguy12

movieguy12 Jedi Padawan

Nov 9, 2012
    what series would you recommend? I think i saw about 4ish that she has writtin each with alot of books.

5. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    I liked Jedi Apprentice, but Jedi Quest made Anakin look like he was Sithspawn from birth so I didn't really care for it.

colojedi7 likes this.
  6. JStepp

JStepp Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 10, 2011
    They are kind of kiddie books but I remember loving them when I was younger.

7. Shira_French_Cheese

Shira_French_Cheese Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2010
    They're ok as long as you don't mind her portraying societes in an extremely simplistic manner and the characters fixing planetary problems every week with little or no effort. That's what bothered me out the Jedi Apprentice series at least. Maybe her other book series are better.

8. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I read the Jedi Apprentice Series as a kid and thought it was pretty cool at the time. Haven't read it since then, so no idea how I would like it now. I enjoyed Xanatos...

mattman8907 likes this.
  9. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Her best, or at least most interesting, book is probably the Episode I Journal for Darth Maul.

10. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    If you want to read about Jedi being Jedi (going around helping people, not battling the Sith or fighting in Galactic Wars every other week) then you should read them. They are aimed at a younger audience, so the writing isn't high-level, but I still rather enjoy them.

RC-1991 and colojedi7 like this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I can't stand her. I've seen better characterization among 10-year-old unbeta'ed fan fic writers. Her "characterization" of Anakin is probably the worst. If Watson is to be believed, there was never a lot of point in having a prequel trilogy because Anakin came out of Shmi's womb wearing the damn black mask, and immediately toddled outside and starting shoving thermal detonators up eopie's butts.

I've mentioned this before, but I've seen writers, both pro-fic (Stover comes to mind) and fan fic who can't stand Anakin who still write him very fairly. Watson's stuff is all Qui-Gon fangirling to the detriment of both Obi-Wan and Anakin.

instantdeath likes this.
  12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I thought everyone liked that idea?
    [​IMG]

I haven't read the books you're referring to, but what you described sounds kinda awesome, to me at least.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    (Best Super Bowl commercial ever.)

You might enjoy the books, CT, if you can slog through books written at the fifth-grade level. Watson flat-out said in an interview that she doesn't like Anakin and doesn't separate him from Vader, so she focuses a lot on his darker more ANH-Vader-type acts. I thought she was way over the top and I'd rather see as much of his lighter side as possible before Mustafar, but that's me.

14. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I want Force chokes straight out of the uterus. No, while in the uterus!

I bought the Legacy of the Jedi/Secrets of the Jedi combo because it was cheap and I didn't realize it was a young readers.

The actual stories themselves aren't bad, but yeah they're definitely written for youngsters.

I haven't read anything else of hers, and despite my jokes, I have no desire to.

15. Moorplant

Moorplant Jedi Master

Feb 26, 2004
    I liked "Jedi Apprentice" with young Obi-wan. It's a pretty simplistic series but my 8 year old self loved it. It was pretty much my first foray into the EU and I really enjoyed the "fleshing out" (such as it was) of the Jedi Temple and their way of life in a stable Republic and how Padawans get chosen etc. There's also one which deals with the "jedi recruiting babies" plot which makes it clear it the parents choice and why so many people willingly gave their babies up. I have to agree there's a lot of Qui-Gon fangirling to the detriment of the other characters sometimes though.

I remember liking him I the begining but I thought the plot of his last book was pretty stupid. He starts off as someone who left the Jedi for anger/hatred over family reasons but wasn't a sith or necessarily past redemption IIRC.

Well not me, I'm fine with the idea that Vader was once an innocent boy. I haven't read the books in at least 10 years but I disliked the way it seemed Anakin and Obi Wan on the verge of breaking out into the famous duel when he was about 12, not in an "Anakin is so baddass" way "remove any poinancy, actual friendship and layers from both Obi Wan and Anakin's characterisation" way. Pretty much every little thing Anakin did was to sign post "FUTURE SITH!!", it got way boring. That and Jedi Quest seemed very recycled from the previous series in terms of characters and plots.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Ow. :p

I haven't read Legacy, and I bought Secrets of the Jedi because I was told it compared how Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Anakin handled their love interests. It definitely does, but in a way that I thought was way off base. I didn't even recognize Anakin in that book.

As far as Obi-Wan in Jedi Apprentice, I thought he looked like a sniveling twit who was afraid to pee without asking Qui-Gon first. Which is ridiculous--Obi-Wan is a rule follower, he isn't spineless.

17. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Jedi Apprentice had a lot of writing flaws (though IIRC it occasionally put out a good story), but it was a great concept and had a decent follow-through on that concept at times. Namely, Jedi actually doing what Jedi are supposed to do, instead of just being sorcerer-generals/ magic commandos. Diplomacy, crimefighting, preventing wars instead of fighting them, occasionally tackling the random dark sider, protecting the weak, etc. Basically what DarkEagle said.

I only read one or two books of Jedi Quest so I can't really speak to it.

18. movieguy12

movieguy12 Jedi Padawan

Nov 9, 2012
    Wow I sparked up a convo . I'm 26 so they might be Kiddish to me but it's ok. They seem "interesting" and I use that term loosely. So I might swing by a few stores tomorrow and see what I can find. I do have plenty to keep me busy for months to come but I like to have everything ready for when I am ready :).

My gf and I are reading Star Wars books and then sending them to each other through the mail with notes about what we think of the books. (She lives in Chicago I live in Indiana.)

I think personally anakin was portrayed badly in the movies period...and the anime I haven't really watched the cgi show much yet but in everything else he is basically a Whiney little brat...but I can see how loosing his mom would devastate him and the fear of loosing his forbidden love as well. But maybe it's the actor or maybe the writing I Just thought anakin could have been more badass...and it's a shame that we could never get to see just how awesome of a jedi or sith he could have been...yea he was evil as darth Vader and a pretty good jedi but he could have been better...

19. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Never been much of a fan of TCW, but I do give it credit for a heroic portrayal of Anakin (from what I remember of the first two seasons).

tjace likes this.
  20. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Have they ever just come clean and admitted that Alex Wheeler is her pseudonym?

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  21. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I had the opposite reaction. Every original character felt like an interchangeable cardboard cutout to me, personally. That, along with Jude Watson's dialogue (most characters, when explaining something, do it in the most dry way possible, broken up into multiple short sentences, almost as if they're listing something).

Here's an example: say I want to explain what happened in the apocalypse.

The apocalypse started yesterday. The sky turned red. Fire fell from the sky. Earthquakes came. They toppled buildings. Creatures started crawling up through the cracks. It started to rain lightning. It was bad.

Yeah, her characters really speak like that. It's annoying. Oh great, now I'm doing it :p

That said, I don't think Jude Watson's output is all bad. They're very unpretentious, unapologetically lighthearted stories about Jedi doing good things. There's some decent character interaction strewn throughout. There's a kind of optimism that isn't seen in many current Star Wars works, and perhaps in no other SW work are you given a sense of what Jedi do for a living, or did before the Clone Wars. It's a nice counter balance to some of the regular novels, where Jedi are often treated with skepticism, both by the characters and the authors. In Watson's work, the Jedi are the unconditional good things (whether that's a good or bad thing is entirely up to you, but luckily the Jedi are much less arrogant in her work than in some others).

So are they worth reading? Sure, or Jedi Apprentice is, at least. Just not a high priority read.

Has Stover said he can't stand Anakin? I thought I remember, in him explaining how writing Anakin differed from some of the other characters, is that Anakin's "not afraid of his emotions", or something like that. Seemed fairly complementary, though I know his favorite Star Wars character is Obi-Wan (and Han Solo).

22. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    This might be the actual technique she uses, like she's re-using the same formula over and over again, like she's filling in the blanks of a template. It wouldn't surprise me, writers like Stephen King do the same thing and that's how they crank out so many books.

23. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
  24. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    How come Jude Watson hasn't been writing any new Star Wars books lately? Spending too much time with Benedict Holmes?

25. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I didn't mind the Jedi Apprentice series, and I liked how it dealt with some interesting scenarios, like the youth revolution on Melida Daan.