main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Mark Hamill unsure about Star Wars 7

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Nah, no chance of him being recast. Disney will be playing this thing as safe as they can. At least for Episode 7. Recasting Hamill would cause uproar, I think, especially if it’s with an actor of the same age.

kataja and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  2. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    The only way they'll recast is if the script calls for a much younger actor, anything else would be commericial suicide.
    Above all else, there's no reason not to, Mark is still a great actor.

3. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Yeah, don't see this happening. If Luke and/or some of the OT characters didn't occur in the movies, I suspect GL or K would've mentioned that in one of those youtube clips on the official site; and it doesn't make sense to cast anyone else, and it doesn't make sense to just wildly have the press to speculate on Mark and Carrie's involvement, without doing immediate damage control. It just makes zero sense to tease the public with something and then disappoint them.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  4. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Hamill is Luke.

here is no question about that. Seriously, who do you possibly think can portray Luke better than Hamill.

5. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I think theres another thread about "What will make you walk out of Ep VII", i think Mark Hamill in the story, but not playing Luke and a different character would be one of the things that would make we walk out.

There is no way this will happen though. Disney/Lucas are not that stoopid....i think.

kataja and Darth_Sacrilicious like this.
  6. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    It's, "difficult to see, the future is.." you nerf herder

7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    If ANYONE of the big 3 are not in, it will be Harrison, because he is simply a much bigger fish in the acting world than the others. He would not relish the opportunity nearly as much; he might refuse if he doesn't like the script or the way his character is handled.

Hamill has always wanted to be Luke again and do some movies where he is actually a Jedi for more than 10 minutes of the movie ("You must face Vader again, only then a Jedi will you be"). He said it was like being James Bond that went to spy school and then never got to be a spy in a movie.

He is not a great actor, and was pretty mediocre in ANH. However, he improved a lot in ESB, and I am sure he could give a good enough performance these days to hire him for episode 7. There is big value for the series and the makers of the movie to have the originals, it clearly wouldn't be the same without him.

8. Jimstarwarsfan

Jimstarwarsfan Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    he'll be back. :)

9. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    I was thinking this the other night....I hope he is in it ....but it would not affect my opinion if they did re cast. as you said Ewan is a great obiwan

10. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    this guy is a kiwi..or was [​IMG] could pass as a luke with blonde hair

11. Jimstarwarsfan

Jimstarwarsfan Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    i
    I do agree this is a crazy thread. so are some people now saying hamill was bad as luke? All them years i loved star wars to have my childhood memories torn apart.[face_not_talking] I never thought we would see the day someone dishes luke. As for hamills acting, i don't see him as bad. He was type cast as an iconic character. I doubt he would turn such an offer down if they ask him. i think most fans would drool to see a jedi master luke. i know i would.

kataja and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  12. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    The only issue with Hamill is that he may need to get into fighting shape. I suspect that the film won't start shooting until Spring 2014 and allowing for fight training before hand, he's got a year which should be plenty of time. He doesn't need to bulk up like Christian Bale or anything, it's about fitness for what could be a long, physical shoot. The "broken old man" excuse for Obi-Wan's lack of energy in his fighting isn't going to hold up for the son of the Chosen One.

13. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    They can just CG his head over a stuntman's, just like they did with Christopher Lee. Problem solved!

14. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Mark Hamill is one of the best actors from all six movies.....And he has consistently done stuff with smaller movies and voice acting over the years, so it's not like he's gotten rusty. Also, he's Mark Hamill, so why would anyone want to recast him :).

kataja likes this.
  15. Roberto Calrissian

Roberto Calrissian Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    How many franchises can have the entire original cast alive after all these decades? They're lucky take advantage of it make them all come back even if it's minor or major roles

kataja likes this.
  16. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Imagine ANH with a less sincere actor as Luke hamming it up as some corny hero. Would we all be here today? I sort of question that we would. Mark is the unsung hero of Star Wars. If Luke is in the ST, Mark will play him.

Valairy Scot and T-R- like this.
  17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    That solves the lightsaber duel, but doesn't solve the fact that Hamill is too chubby to look like Luke. Him and Fisher need to join Jenny Craig before the filming, no question.

18. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    a review of Sushi Girl:

19. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Of course Hamill looks like Luke, since he's the guy who played the character. How could he not look like Luke--do people not age in SW?

Jedi_Lover and T-R- like this.
  20. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Don't be ridiculous.

He doesn't look that much like Luke because his face is chubby.

He even said that himself, that he doesn't look like Luke anymore, and that his kids look more like Luke. If he cuts out the ice cream and pizza for a while, he will look a lot more like Luke.

Does this look like Luke?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    The second photo in particular (with a natural expression) looks very much like Luke, yes. Just older. When people age, they typically fill-out or, alternatively, become gaunt. Has George Lucas stopped looking like himself over the last thirty years as well?

Are there photos somewhere of a 61 year old Luke Skywalker that we can use as a comparison? (Please don't post some EU book cover.)

T-R- likes this.
  22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yeah, OK. ROFL

Some will deny the blatantly obvious. :rolleyes:

Fill out? No, that is called becoming fat. Filling out is what you do from adolescence to adulthood. Exercise and diet can prevent the kind of "filling out" that Hamill has done. I guarantee you he will be thinner and looking more like Luke come movie time

Lucas is not a character in the movie, and no, Lucas looks nothing like himself in the 70's. He would look a LOT MORE like himself if he dropped about 50 pounds, as would Hamill.

23. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    How old are you? That's a genuine question.

24. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Yah, I have to say, I'm a bit taken aback by the notion that just because Hamill gained a bit of weight—which many men do when they're in their 60s—he doesn't look like Luke Skywalker any more. He looks like an aged Luke Skywalker, and obviously he does so because he is.
    He doesn't even look bad for a man in his 60s; for instance, he's about the same age as Alec Guinness was in ANH.

kataja, T-R- and Artoo-Dion like this.
  25. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Just for clarity (as this is getting a little off track) I like Mark Hamill and see no reason why he couldn't be cast based on his looks, all I was trying to say was that there is a chance that somehow they go in a different direction and recast the role.

It's not my preference, although I wouldn't be opposed to it either if they got an amazing actor. I admit I haven't seen either of the horror movies that Mark has been in recently, and they might be great although the reviews I read weren't all that complimentary.

Anyway, carry on.