main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Lolz. Total opposite of Lord Vader. Right.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Zahn does consistantly emphasise the differences between the two. Sometimes Thrawn himself saying so:

"I am not the Lord Darth Vader, Ferrier. I do not spend my men recklessly. Nor do I take their loss lightly."

and sometimes Pellaeon contrasts them in his thoughts:

"Minutes which we no longer have, thanks to their shadower's carelessness." Thrawn bit out. "He's to be demoted one grade."
    "Yes sir." Pellaeon logged the order. A rather severe punishment, but it could have been much worse. Lord Vader would have summarily strangled the man.

3. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Sure, but its nonsense. He throws the Noghri at a Jedi they have zero chance of ever capturing, can and does execute crew members. The Zahn line that Thrawn is significantly different from Vader doesn't really hold water.

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm guessing that back then, Jedi weren't seen as so powerful by Zahn- thus there's more than "zero chance"- especially since they're mostly being sent after Leia rather than Luke.

That said, his "A few Noghri, more or less, won't strain anybody's resources" line seems a bit wasteful, considering they are apparently much more dangerous than stormtroopers (going by the maitrarkh's account in Dark Force Rising).

Thrawn's lack of Vader's "legendary and often lethal temper" also gets brought up.

5. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Except that Vader doesn't kill people in a hot-blooded rage. He executes them to be sure, but there's no real anger involved-he's gotten to that Sidious level of viewing people as not really being so much people as cogs in a machine. Which is morally repellant, but hardly hot-tempered.

You'd be an idiot (by which I mean Thrawn, not you :p ) to assume that Luke is ever going to be very far from Leia, who's hardly a pushover herself. It's a waste of resources to even bother trying to capture them.

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That said, Luke is frequently very far from Leia in those books.

Different writers tend to have different takes on Vader- some might have him as cold- others as in a permanent state of simmering rage which he lets out every now and then.

Come to think of it- that might be why Palpatine goes into full-blown rage mode at certain moments in Revenge of the Sith.

As the Sith put it: "Peace is a lie. There is only passion."

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    When Vader says "Apology accepted" in ESB, he's just being a huge jerk. He executed a competent officer - one that was courageous enough to personally go to Vader and accept responsibility for his failure - so he could get a one-liner in.

8. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Actually, there are a number of SW-related posts on there - one of the more recent being "Charlie Kenobi's War" re: the TCW episodes set on Onderon. Not that I bother watching TCW, but if you tend to follow real-world foreign policy debates it's amusing.

http://blogtarkin.com/2012/10/28/charlie-kenobis-war/

9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    It looks like we got some new CIS ships this episode. Well, kind of - the shuttle looked different than usual, and it looks like the CIS has some Gozanti Cruisers in their colors.

10. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    For all you real life Fleet Junkies, today was the inactivation ceremony of USS Enterprise, CVN-65. The first nucelar powered aircraft carrier in the world and the eighth US Navy warship to bare the proud name. Agter 51 years of service and 25 deployments, the Big E stands down from a long and distinguished service. It was a proud and bittersweet occasion, marked by the Navy's pomp and circumstance. I admit, I was sad to see that the US Navy's 8th Enterprise was slated for the scrap yards. Then the Secretary of the Navy annouced news that I had been dying to hear:

The third ship of the Gerald R. Ford-class nuclear powered aircraft carrier class was to be named...

ENTERPRISE. CVN-80.

And so the legacy continues. The US Navy will have another Enterprise. [face_flag]:D:cool:

--Adm. Nick

11. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    !!!

AWESOME!

12. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    It's about time.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  13. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    That makes me very happy.

"Admiral! It is the Enterprise."

14. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  15. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    The new USS Enterprise may at some point be armed with laser weapons. They aren't ready/developed yet, but the Ford class is designed for that potential upgrade :D

16. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Aren’t a set of rail guns more likely? After all they seem to have kind of gotten those to work.

17. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I'm mostly interested in the name Enterprise as a Star Trek fan, honestly, but still, I had heard about the ship being retired, and glad to see they're going to give the name to another ship soon enough.

18. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    For what it is worth, the reason Gene Roddenberry chose to name his fictional starship Enterprise was because it was the most decorated US warship of WWII. By the time Star Trek came out, folks knew of both the famous CV-6 USS Enterprise and CVN-65 USS Enterprise.

--Adm. Nick

19. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    US hasn't put guns on an aircraft carrier design since WW2. So no-they'll be for the Flight 3 Burkes and beyond.

The real striking power of CVN-80 and her sisters will be in the TIE Drone N-UCAS

20. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Actually the Enterprise herself begs to differ there...

Considering it had these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx_CIWS

Onboard. But I get what you mean with the rail-guns, since you think more along the lines of the Essex class and its 5-inchers when you think rail-gun right? Or at least I do :p

(and yes, I'm being nit-picky with the definition of a 'gun'. That was more sarcastic honestly. Since it most likely was bigger (the aforementioned 5-inchers) you were talking about. ;) )

21. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, the railguns are more for bombardment than point defense like CIWS is.

22. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    That's what I figured. It was just too good to pass up :p

23. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
  24. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Yeah, lasers are more useful as AA and point defense, while Rail guns are for long range bombardment.

DarthBoba likes this.
  25. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Here's the spoilerrific concept art for the new star base in TCW. Hope all the new designs make it in. Hope we get some actual EU ships, too.