main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Wasted Potential

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Chewbacca89, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Hero of Tukayyid

Hero of Tukayyid Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2012
    Are the jedi allowed to leave the service corps? We know that the Corps is mentioned even Kotor 2, they had some sort of base on Telos. What haapens if Jolee Bindo decides to take reject under his wing and teach him/her the ways of the force. Are high-level light side force users allowed to take them as aprentices?

2. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Unless the kid starts showing signs of darkside influence, I don't think there's a damn thing they can do about it other than blow smoke.

They ultimately gotta abide by their principles, and clocking kids over the head and locking them in their quarters would clash pretty heavily with that.

3. JStepp

JStepp Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 10, 2011
    Anybody else think the jedi should have a Rumspringa?

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    They should at least have Rum.

Gorefiend and rumsmuggler like this.
  5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Not really, since the dark side is rarely portrayed as a fling.

If you're talking about taking a break from Jedi duties, they can do that any time they wish, and several have.

6. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Perhaps one could "study abroad," with another group of Force users? Just for a semester, maybe?

7. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    If that group teaches anything significantly different from what the Jedi Order teaches, I'm sure the Council would disapprove. It's certainly something they would not allow apprentices to do on an Order-wide basis.

But once again, there would be nothing to stop a Jedi Knight from doing so. There probably wouldn't be any significant consequences in terms of punishment from the Jedi Order as long as it doesn't lead to anything bad. Don't go dark side, don't go hurting people, and they'll let it go.

8. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    And yet I get Dark Side points for spitting Game on the Twi'lek Pilgrim Matriarch in TOR still...tsk

9. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    My Inquisitor got LS points for accepting bribes to sabatoge someones work, TOR mechanic is...not really based on morality.

GrandMasterKatarn and Esg like this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have to ask: what is your definition of corrupt?

Have I been using it in the wrong way?:confused:

11. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    " Having or showing a willingness to act dishonestly in return for money or personal gain."

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks.

When did OJO that?

13. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    As others have pointed out, Jedi kids essentially CAN go on Rumspringa, but like real world Amish, they're not exactly well prepared for living outside their religion. So there's little wonder why not many Jedi stray.

OTOH, even if someone isn't very powerful in the Force, I can see where it'd be in the interest of the galaxy and the society that they exist in that they be trained in their powers least their ignorance of said powers lead to danger to themselves or those around.

Even if a telekinetic isn't very strong they could potentially do some damage if they aren't trained properly in controlling their powers.

14. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Episodes I-III

15. JediMasterKeno

JediMasterKeno Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 22, 2000
    After reading the prequel novels such as Red Harvest and Yoda Dark Rendezhvous, the padawans that got stuck with the agriculture job of the jedi order they were humiliated and they would have rather been a jedi knight instead of being stuck tending to plants every day. the gal padawan in Red Harvest she got lucky since she ended up going to the Sith training academy tower planet to deal with the undead and got to use the force and a lightsaber.

I would throw hissy fits if I found out I got stuck with some agriculture job at the jedi order. No way. I want to see some action. not to be stuck tending to stupid plant life in the greenhouse

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  16. JediMasterKeno

JediMasterKeno Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 22, 2000
    a Jedi whether its a Jedi "knight" or a padawawn working in the Jedi agrculture greenhouse I bet its fun with conversations with Jedi that go kick butt against Sith and other ruffians on other planets.

Jedi Juno - I got to take on 12 gundarks
    Jedi Mark - that's great. I found out a million ways to grow a rare flower and talk sweet love to it

17. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    oh yeah so the other day i came up with a pretty elegant theory of force-sensitivity that pretty much explains everything weird and inconsistent about force user prevalence and Jedi recruitment practices and heritability and midichlorian counts and Jedi service corps and all that jazz.

maybe someday I'll even write it up, who knows. (probably not)

Blithe, RC-1991 and Ulicus like this.
  18. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Well I expect you to brief me on it, at the very least.

19. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    hee, tbh that's mostly why I posted this, because I keep meaning to bring it up in #eu but I keep forgetting.

20. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Like that Force Lightning theory? OH WAIT.

:p

21. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012

Tell us or its of to the Agricultural Corps for you! :pJK;)

22. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    The Old Republic Jedi were seriously a cult. They recruit children without their consent, isolate them from their families and train them to do only one job.

Even if one of them wanted to leave the agricorps, they'd probably be too afraid to.

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  23. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    With consent of those families.
    Jedi are pretty diverse and are pretty free to take up specializations or exotic hobbies, such as healers, mechanics, historians, botanists etc.
    At the very beginning maybe, but once they got to see more of the galaxy that should not really be the case.

MercenaryAce and Ulicus like this.
  24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Lorian Nod (Dooku's old friend from Jude Watson's Secrets of the Jedi) was given a job in the agricorps after being dismissed from the main Order.

He promptly left it and drifted into crime.

25. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Lorian Nod was into crime while he was in the Jedi Temple.