main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Republic vs Separatists

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Deputy Rick Grimes, Nov 19, 2012.

?

Republic vs Separatists

1. Republic

46.7%
  2. Separatist

53.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I do not know what you mean. The CIS wins 50% of the time.

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    then the Republic wins 50% too

3. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    But that doesn't mean all the time.

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    What don't you get, Dan?

50% of the time, the Republic wins, every time.

THE PortmanLuvva and Darth Vader like this.
  5. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    Every time is not 50% of the time... that is what you not get. The Republic loses a lot.

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Not really

7. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
  8. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    :D

That makes no sense!

9. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I'd say it looks like the republic wins 95% of the time on screen.

Wow, thought I killed this thread.

10. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Of course it doesn't, that's the joke.

11. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    That's the thing. When its on screen you have to make sure the good guys win. Happens in every tv show or movie. I think in all reality in the actual galaxy and history that the Separatists won a whole lot more then what they are given

12. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    This one area where TCW tends to show its colors as a kiddie cartoon. Where you have to define a good vs. evil struggle. Shunt all the villains off to being the big bad with his little minions running around underneath him commanding foot soldiers. It would be nice to see TCW break the mold there and either show the good guys being evil or the bad guys winning/ being good guys again instead of burying what HOBS setup.

Really TCW doesn't do a very good job of making my feel sympathy for either side. Since I'm a casual fan the ball is in TCW's court to sell the two sides to me. I mean, I think the republic is the lesser of the two evils at this point. They got their issues but they aren't burning of the galaxy. This is in part because TCW doesn't elaborate on anything but good vs evil. There isn't much reason to dislike the Republic in contract to the Seperatists.

13. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    True! The show is biased like that...[face_laugh]

It doesn't make us feel that there is some real danger or threat most of the time due to the fact that the Republic wins most of the times on TCW.

Seerow likes this.
  14. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    The prequels didn't do much to engender sympathy for anyone, either. Whether or not that was intentional, I don't know.

I think they only people from the prequels I "felt for" were Obi-Wan and Yoda.

(I put "felt for" in quotations because I don't actually have feelings)

Seerow likes this.
  15. TK788

TK788 Jedi Youngling

Oct 28, 2012
    I vote for the Republic, cause clones are cooler than battle droids in my opinion.

16. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I don't remember feeling much sympathy in AOTC either. Probably because I still just saw a simple sorta good vs. evil struggle setup in the movie rather than the civil war it was.

17. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    The more I get into the deeper stuff of the Clone Wars the more I pull for the Seppies and realize that they were the good guys. It's so twisted you don't know up from down unfortunately though. Damn you Palpatine:p

18. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes, yes... another one is rooting for our guys. The CIS is awesome if you like good guys or bad guys....

I must say the result now - 12:12 is the reason why the War goes on for so long. :D

19. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Well, just looking at the characters, the Separatists should have been the good guys. The Separatists should have been characters like Padme, Bail and Mon Mothma from the beginning. They're the ones with the legitimate beef. The actual Separatist leadership had no reason to secede, and the people with a legitimate gripe would never follow them, it just makes no sense.

George tried a switcharoo here, and it was interesting to have the "good guys" so ignorant, but it doesn't make much sense to me.

20. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    We are a forum divided. :D

21. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    But wouldn't that make the Jedi the bad guys and the Sith the good guys? (Or one Sith anyways..)

22. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011

Perhaps, or just ignorant, as they are in what we got anyway.

There are a lot of ways to approach it. The easiest way is to just have the Separatist leadership made up of good guys with a legitimate beef and keep Padme, Bail and Mon Mothma on the Republic. That way you actually have good on both sides, and more importantly, a reasonable secession.

You could have the Jedi switch sides and join the Separatists. You could have the Empire form first (as some thought in early attempts to piece together the PT era), the Jedi powerless to stop it, and then they switch sides. At this point I'm getting close to re-writing the whole thing, so I could just throw out everything and start from scratch.

Or you could just do the same, have the Jedi blindly defend the Republic the whole way and then kill them off with Order 66 once Palpatine is discovered.

I'm not sure how any of the Sith would be the "good guys" in any of these scenarios.

What we got doesn't make much sense. Characters like Padme (especially considering the way the Republic failed her), Bail and Mon Mothma have the most reason to secede, while characters like Nute Gunray, Wat Tambor, San Hill and the rest of the Separatist leadership have the least reason to secede. The Separatist leadership should want the Republic to stay intact, they're making a killing off it and are getting away with everything. Yeah, I know, greed. The planets that have the most reason to secede would never join the Separatist leadership, the Separatist leadership corrupting the Republic and oppressing the little guy is the reason they'd want to secede in the first place. Why would they join the megacorporations that are oppressing them in the first place? The Republic is clearly the lesser of two evils, with much of the Republic's evils due to the corruption sewn by the Separatist leadership. Look at the systems that have been under the control of the megacorporations the entire time, they probably have it the worst. If you join the Separatist megacorporations, and they win, you are now at their mercy because they have all the military power.

There probably shouldn't have been a secession at all, just an outright rebellion like in the OT (I know, unoriginal). Except in the PT, they would have been smashed, with only a few survivors, one being their "new hope".

What we got was a terrible kitbash of the American Revolution and the American Civil War.

23. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Even though I like the Republic better because it is referenced so much in Ep. IV and the clones are precursors to Stormtroopers (and in Battlefront II the Republic is the only side that gets you a lightsaber-wielding main character on every planet)...I'm voting CIS. But it's mostly because I like to cheer on the underdog and they almost NEVER win in TCW, which I think is a crappy decision on the part of the series. The opening crawl of Ep. II does nothing to explain why the Separatists want to secede, nor does the PT as a whole explain it, and TCW at least does something to explain it in the Mon Cala and slaver arcs of S4. Like many other things, I think TCW's portrayal of the CIS is superior to that of the PT.

24. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    If I lived in the GFFA I'd side with the Republic. Separatists are just the mega-corperations trying to control all aspects of production, shipping, and selling while hording their loot. How many planets have had their environments destroyed by the Trade Federation, Techno Union, and Corporate Alliance for the sake of profit?

25. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    I love the logic Tarkas.

They do almost never win on TCW on screen. But the way the CIS is done is much better to the little we have seen of the CIS in the movies.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.