main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Lawrence Kasdan may write Episode 8

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Serpico Jones, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I think with the spin-offs you have the potential to create a wider and richer mythology. The Heracles story and the story of Echo have little in common but they are both within the same mythology.

2. Darth Swede

Darth Swede Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 4, 2012
    On one hand I can see your point. On the other... a part of me wants to see all kind of spin-off movies delve into different parts of the Star Wars galaxy. What about a spin-off centering on Jabba the Hutt at the height of his power (I could easily watch an entire movie taking place in Jabbas Palace)? Or a Lando movie (pre ESB)?

fishtailsam, Darthsuggs and Krueger like this.
  3. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I can definitely see the attraction. I just think they should be careful about how they go about it. Saying that, I would love to see a spin-off or even a whole trilogy dealing with the Sith and the Jedi 1000 years before TPM. Also, I wouldn't mind "the adventures of young Yoda". That is also something that appeals to me. I didn't say I was apposed to it, just that, for now at least, I'm still slightly lukewarm on the idea. Still, I don't really want to see a "Boba Fett movie". But I understand I may be alone in thinking that.

Darthsuggs likes this.
  4. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    I am open to the idea of a Fett film. I think he'd work best in an ensemble though. Almost like "The Bad" in the Good the Bad and the Ugly.

gregvader123 likes this.
  5. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I sort of agree with this. I don't want the market to be oversaturated. Part of the reason Star Wars is special is that the movies are so rare.

I wouldn't mind that Underworld TV series. Or KOTOR miniseries. Or, heck, even big budget TV retelling of the Skywalkers' story.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm fine with spin-off movies, if they suck they aren't part of the main series and so can be ignored. Like the Clone Wars movie

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  7. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    "Ice planet" isn't a plot element, it's a location, as are all the other elements of the outline you've listed. Story is what happens at those locations, and Kasdan was fully involved along with Kersh and Lucas in inventing the conflicts and specific story beats that filled out the script. You can be all for his coming back, as I am, and still be mistaken in your statement "All [Kasdan] did was add dialogue to Lucas's stories," which is the remark I objected to, and still do, because it is erroneous.

8. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Whatever. There's ample evidence that the story was GL's. He was generating design art and storyboards before he had a writer or director. The story was in his head. I don't even think it's a particularly good story but it was definitely GL's.

9. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    Yeah I mean there were a lot of differences in those drafts. Han's step father, Luke's parentage, the reveal that Luke has a sister. Lando being a clone. At the same time there is a very arcane structure that was a sorta kept in the Kasdan draft. With that said, I'm sure Kasdan contributed a great deal to the story beats.

10. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    "Whatever" right back atcha. Lucas had broad story strokes in mind which were honed and developed in story meetings with Kasdan and Kersh after Brackett's death, with K & K inventing story ideas of their own. Please do research this before commenting again, as you're only embarrassing yourself with your lack of knowledge on the topic. Also, please stop yelling, We can all read you in the normal font size. Thanks.

11. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Yeah, but Star Wars isn't mythology. I wish we could stop using "mythology" to describe what Star Wars is. They are films.

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  12. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    I think it's more than that. Games, comics, books, tv shows ect. Yes there are films but I think Star Wars is beyond being just films at this point.

13. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Maybe we should create a new thread on this topic. Star Wars is definitely modern mythology according to every definition of the term I'm familiar with.

Darthsuggs likes this.
  14. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Well, I mean as regards the films themselves. Having more games and comics and books and what not doesn't make it mythology either. It makes it a franchise.

EDIT: Merlin_Ambrosius69, I'd be very interested to see those definitions, because what Star Wars is is fundamentally different in form and function from mythologies.

15. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    Right but why not for the first time try and make it all one large story that can be passed down to generations. Middle Earth was created to give Britain a mythology.

16. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    No problem!

Bruce Lincoln defines myth as "ideology in narrative form". -- Lincoln, Bruce (2006). "An Early Moment in the Discourse of "Terrorism": Reflections on a Tale from Marco Polo". Comparative Studies in Society and History 48 (2): 242-259.
    Mythology is a body or collection of myths. -- Kirk, p. 8; "myth", Encyclopædia Britannica
    In a very broad sense, the word "myth" can refer to any traditional story. -- Kirk, "Defining", p. 57; Kirk, Myth, p. 74; Simpson, p. 3
    Myths are transmitted to convey religious or idealized experience, to establish behavioral models, and to teach.
    Modern mythopoeia such as fantasy novels, manga, and urban legend, with many competing artificial mythoi acknowledged as fiction, supports the idea of myth as ongoing social practice.
    Joseph Campbell defines myth as a "metaphor of spiritual potentiality".

If you mean myth in the strict folkloricist sense of "a sacred narrative usually explaining how the world or humankind came to be in its present form", then I'll be inclined to agree with you, which is why I added the descriptor "modern" to my categorization of SW as myth.

17. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    GL developed all the SW stories through multiple storylines, often changing the story radically. He added to & changed the PT films both on set and in pick-up filming. He continues to invent (TCW) and alter (SE) the story of SW. Richard Marquand made significant contributions to RotJ but the story was still GL's, even tho it ended up bearing little resemblance to his early drafts & outlines. Look up the transcript of the RotLA story conference, it's quite impressive, GL contributed about 90% of that movie! He knows what he's doing ;) As for Kasdan coming back, he's a good writer, I'm sure he'll do justice to whatever story GL decides to tell :)

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  18. spoooooky

spoooooky Jedi Master

May 2, 2000
    I'm more or less with you. Moreso than not branching out beyond trilogies, though, I just hope they don't do too much too quickly. More than one Star Wars film (even if it is a spinoff of the main story) every two to three years would just take away some of the magic, I think.

A Boba Fett movie is probably the last thing I want to see at any rate, but I can see the film universe branching out. I just would prefer that it happen *after* the next trilogy was finished.

19. The McDougal Bugle

The McDougal Bugle Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2012
    OH GOD NO!!!!!! PLEASE NOOOOOOOOO!!! Episode VII is doomed. Kasdan couldn't write to save his life. He lost any writing abilities over two decades ago. He wrote and directed Darling Companion for god sakes. The most cliche ridden, predictable, stupid and pointless movie ever. He wrote, produced, and directed Dreamcatcher, Wyatt Earp, French Kiss, and Mumford. All terrible sloppy atrocities. Kasdan used to be a great writer, but has lost his touch and is way beyond his time.
    Don't even get me started on that lousy pathetic excuse for a writer, Simon Kinberg, He was a script doctor for Fantastic Four , Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian, and Knight and Day. He wrote and produced Jumper which tops Darling Companion for the stupidist movie ever. All that makes me want to do is jump off a building, or surgically remove the terrible writing that is scarred into my brain. Once someone rapes the X-Men trilogy after Brian Singer made two great movies, it's time for them to go, Brett Ratner shouldn't get all the blame. Even Zues couldn't direct a good movie with a screenplay that abominable. I think Kinberg intentionally ruined the X-Men trilogy. What was the point of making Magneto an a*shole? Mr. and Ms. Smith was pretty vomit-retching. That so called screenwriting creature should not get any credit for the solid awesome movie that was X-Men: First Class. He didn't write a single letter of that script (X-Men: First Class) and thank god he didn't. All he did was be one of FOUR producers. If anything, he probably made it worse. I was excited for these sequels, but there's no hope now, Star Wars is being raped again. Please, anything but this, bring on George Lucas again, anything, PLEASE NOOOO!!!!!

xezene likes this.
  20. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    tl;dr: I hate stuff.

"Vomit-retching"? o_O

21. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    I would be surprised if they didn't saturate the market. Disney is gonna milk Star Wars for all it's worth. Probably good speculation would be what ISN'T Disney gonna do?

How many Pirate of the Caribbean movies are there? (I lost interest after the crappier second movie) When will we hear confirmation on plans to do the elusive last trilogy, episodes X, XI, and XII? And that's just the beginning.

Then we will have TV shows, spin-off movies that may or may not go straight-to-DVD, and who knows what else. And it will be awesome, in an ironic sort of way.

22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I got news for you. He was no less an ******* in Singer's films. Also in certain comics.

23. BizAOK

BizAOK Jedi Master star 1

Nov 5, 2001
    Wow, spinoffs?!?

Suddenly I'm very uneasy about this. By definition, when you spin off something, you take it in a direction different than its natural course. Could a Boba Fett movie be interesting? Sure. Could a Jabba movie be worth my $10 once? Why not...

My point, though, is that I'm not confident the franchise can have the same cultural significance if it goes too far down a track different than lightsabers, space fights, and "disturbances in the Force." If the spinoffs minimize these aspects of the series and go with grim Coruscant bounty hunter killings or the hilarious hi-jinks of an unrepentant fat, corrupt business lizard.... I'm just saying that could bomb with mainstream audiences because they're not recognized as a part of core Star Wars storytelling. And then the franchise risks getting re-analyzed ad nauseum and ultimately put back on the shelf, waiting for a reboot.

If this franchise suffers a true stinker, even Star Wars will find its cultural revalancy jeopardized. So hopefully they are not looking to spin too far.

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  24. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I always thought the only thing that could possibly make The Sopranos interesting would be turning them into disgusting space slugs.

25. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    It did. Episode II. That stunk to high heaven. Star Wars is still kicking.