main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I was bored, so I went through my fanfiction account's stats, and OH MY GOD I have too much time on my hands :p

283,794 words (on main account)

170 reviews (that I've made on other author's stories)

16,162 views to my profile

675 reviews for my stories

195,571 views/hits for my fics

And then you add in the secondary account which raises it to:

313,397 words

16,701 profile views

789 reviews

204,234 views for my fics

Plus about 200 more reviews from deleted fics, and who knows how many words/hits.

(second numbers are both accounts)

(also, this is buildup from about 2009 or 2010)

2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I have one too, my dad gave it to me for my birthday. I have no idea what to spend it on. :(

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    That's awesome. My personal fanfiction.net account (Darthishtar) isn't all that terribly popular per story, but then you go to the Transformers project I came up with and have 1000 reviews on one story, 500 on another. It helps that we have 37 stories in roughly 3 years and some of the weirdest crack!fic ever known to giant alien robots (Autobot sexual harassment seminar is on the horizon), but it's very encouraging.

4. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    you know what sucks, i was searching through some old stories on here that i used to read, and i noticed that the chapters just seem to cut out about the middle, or a third of the way through the chapter. Now i remember reading one of the notices swaying that a word limit had been imposed, and also had been recently fixed, but since the move all of those older stories now have huge chunks missing.

kinda sucks.

5. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Word is that they're going to re-import all the stories, which will fix the truncation, but will also remove any edits done to stories posted prior to the move if those have been updated since. New posts won't be deleted, but if changes were made to pre-move posts, they'll be lost.

6. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Yeah, that's what I understand from my lurkings in Comms. It's one of the reasons why I have touched the MMM index since the move as that was affected too. I don't want to make a load of changes and then have to do them all again when they fix the problem. No new news as of posting this, but I'm sure they'll let us know, or something.

If you're desperate to read the stories, you could always PM the author and ask them to send it to you via PM. Personally, I'd be happy to do that, but you might want to make sure they didn't get lost in the move.

7. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    This is one of the reasons I'm slowly putting up all my 'fics on my fanfiction archive.

8. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I archive everything on FFN. It is just nice to have everything in one place.

9. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Yes, we are hoping to be able to fix the truncation issue but we have yet to be able to do it. We have everything backed up, but at this moment we are unable to upload without the truncation issue happening .Unfortunately, we have no time table on when we might be able to do so. :(

People can go back and edit in their stories but any changes made will be changed back to how they were when the save before the move was done. I know that doesn't help with people who are no longer around.

10. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    mavjade For my ongoing stories that are truncated I put a link to the story I have also posted on FFN so they can go and read the truncated chapters. Usually putting a link for another site is only okay in your signature. Is this going to be allowable due to the truncating problem?

11. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Perhaps I should some day consider joining FFN...

On the real-life front... I am seriously considering just cutting my gift list short, focus on immediate family, and treat myself to a long-awaited new computer. My current one is nearing ten years old, I think I could be forgiven if I splurged on a new laptop.

12. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I've got mine on disk and backed up (some of 'em) at FF.N... and Trak? Try it at Fanfic.net and see if it's for you. If it isn't, you can always take 'em down again.

13. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I should have backed up all my stories on FFN, but lazy me didn't :(

This might not be for you, but I am writing all my friends letters this year instead of buying them gifts. My friends are all a sentimental bunch, so I think they'd much prefer a letter from the heart than a gift, plus it's saving me some money.

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Since I can crochet, I could make simple gifts for people. I hope everyone likes scarves, pot holders, coasters, and my attempts at hats! [​IMG]

15. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    have you (mods/admins) ever thought of adding in an extra sub-forum for just completed stories. I know on a couple of other forums i am on they have such threads where the posts are just the story chapters, no comments or criticisms.

16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    They have an archive, but I heard it is hard to get your story accepted.

17. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Very hard.

18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Especially since the archive isn't exatly active now-a-days, and it hasn't been for awhile, at least since I've been around.

19. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I thought I would die laughing!:p It is from George Takei's Facebook page.

[​IMG]

lazykbys_left likes this.
  20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Lol! I saw that too. The E coli one is my favourite.

21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    For some reason I like the first one. My son liked number 9.

22. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I like number 6. XD Though, I will say... number 10 isn't too bad, if the story was a comedy.

23. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Several of those made me laugh so hard, I had to run to the bathroom like a pregnant woman who couldn't hold it in. :p

24. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    meant to edit not reply to my own post

25. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I think the idea has been discussed before and it was thought that this would just discourage people from reviewing at all. We want people to review/comment and don't want to do anything that discourages it. We know that forum format isn't the best for reading something that has been on going as you have to wade through the reviews, but there really isn't anything that can be done to change it.

Bah ha ha... I love that list! :D It was hard to pick but I think I liked 8 the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.