main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Generation gaps among the fans

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by princessnikki, Nov 28, 2012.

?

Are you an original era fan, a Special Edition fan or a Prequel Trilogy Fan?

1. Original Era

98 vote(s)
    61.3%
  2. Special Edition Era

28 vote(s)
    17.5%
  3. Prequel Trilogy Era

28 vote(s)
    17.5%
  4. Haven't seen any movies and the E.U stories are my Star Wars!

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. What is Star Wars? Is that the one with Captain Picard?

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Kids these days, with their Power-mons and Pokey Rangers and Return of the Jedi resolutions!

I still remember a friend, having seen ESB, telling me that Vader was Luke's father. No way!

Getting to see Jabba in ROTJ was also great after years of wondering.

2. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Depends on how emotionally attaching they are............

....sorry.

3. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm always hassling my own kids about this. "You don't know what it was like waiting. We couldn't just pop in the next DVD to find out what happened next."

They, of course, roll their eyes at me.

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I have to say this, it has been a real treat to go through this thread and read about everyone's experiences. It's amazing how one set of films can bring us together like this. I love it! :)

I was born in '85, so I unfortunately missed out on the initial run of the films. I didn't discover Star Wars until I was in 6th grade and by that time, the Special Edition hype was in full-swing. As crazy as it sounds, I wasn't able to see any of the films in the theater during that run either. Being 12 years old, I couldn't exactly go to the movies by myself and my parents weren't into Star Wars, so they didn't want to take me. Instead, I remember my mom went to the video store every week to rent a different Star Wars movie for me to watch. Being that my mom knew nothing about Star Wars, this resulted in me viewing the films out of order. I started with ANH, followed by ROTJ. Due to ESB being so popular, it was never on the shelf to rent and unfortunately, my mom eventually gave up trying to get a hold of it. I wouldn't see ESB for another couple of months, but as far as I was concerned, that was just fine with me at the time. I was completely hooked. The summers between 1997 and 1999 were really something special for me.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was disappointed when ROTJ premiered and all anyone in middle school could talk about was how awesome Jabba the Hutt was. That was my least favorite part of the movie; the only part I liked was Leia unfreezing Han.

I don't think mine would begin to grasp the concept even if I tried hassling them about it. My son popped in a VHS tape of one of the OOTs; his first comment was "How do you get to the menu?"

6. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Least favorite?? ..............I don't know about you sometimes.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  7. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Movies or years? :confused:

8. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Hey now...;)

I'm with anakinfansince1983. This was pivotal stuff for me as well...

9. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Movies. Refer to our convo in the PT forum....

10. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Well!! The Jabba bit was the best part.

11. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    I was exactly 2 weeks old when SW came out in '77. So I was part of the Jedi group of kids. ROTJ was my 1st SW movie in the theatres(I'm pretty sure I saw SW on network TV a few times before then). ROTJ brand were on the toy packages.

I actually didn't get a chance to see Empire until it aired on TV in 1987, so unfortunately I missed the surprises due to watching it out of order. We just got a VCR not too long before it aired, so we taped it, and I would watch it every Friday after school.

Ewok movies were on tv, so were the Droids and Ewoks cartoons.

Great time being a kid back then!

Echo-07 likes this.
  12. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Raiders was out in that period too. What more can a kid ask for?

krtmd and CaptainHamYoyo like this.
  13. Darth_Sacrilicious

Darth_Sacrilicious Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 30, 2003
    Saw it in the theater the month it came out.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It's called differing tastes. It happens.

15. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    If you are of a '70s vintage, you'll know what I mean when I say that there were great movies galore in the wake of SW. Superman, E.T., Gremlins, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Raiders, The Dark Crystal, The Goonies... It really was an avalanche of great sci-fi/fantasy/adventure films for kids.

16. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Um yes I know. I'm just teasing you.

Tough crowd.

17. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    oh yeah - that one too[face_love]

18. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    My brother, cousin and I were all weened on the OT. It was literally a phenomenon. The action figures, commercials, toys etc... until about 1985 our lives were filled with Star Wars. Then there was a 16 year gap and now a ten year gap. But no more . . .

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I know. It's all good.

20. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    The early 80's were probably the best half-deacde for movies ever IMO. Course I'm biased. We hade SW TESB & ROTJ. Raiders, Blade Runner, Excalibur, Terminator. Some of my all-time faves are from those 5 years.

21. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Not to mention the great matching cartoon and action figures from the early-mid eighties. Super Powers/Friends, He-Man, Transformers, etc. Loved it!

22. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    GI Joe ruled from about 1983/84 to about 1986!

23. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, and don't even get me started on the Spielberg and John Carpenter films.

24. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I am of the OT generation. My children were born into the PT generation. Hopefully I won't have any grandchildren born into ST generation. o_O Please let that happen later...much later.

I think watching movies in the 70's and 80's was a bit different. We didn't have the option to wait a few months to get them on HBO or netflix. We didn't have the internet to distract and entertain us. Video games were out but they were mostly in arcades, so I couldn't sit in front of the TV killing zombies all day like my sons do. We had the movies, arcades and cruising. Star Wars never came out in the drive in, but with other movies we would fill up the car and head to the drive in and it was a big social thing. Now everybody is connected to the hip by social networking. For us our social bonding usually happened at the movies--before, during and after. I don't know if that if the reason the OT seems special to me. It could be if the PT came out first I would like it better because I would have been a young teen and it would have been part of my fun filled teenage years..

25. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    I'm first generation here. Saw IV, V, VI in the theaters on their opening weekends. Same with the PT, except for ROTS which I saw on its midnight opening showing. Now, I hope to do the same for this new trilogy.

Good times, good times!

Echo-07 and Jedi_Lover like this.