main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Mark Hamill unsure about Star Wars 7

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Nov 27, 2012.

1. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I didn't say that I dislike him, I said that it was a possibility that his role could be recast.

I've said a few times in this thread - I haven't seen his acting since ROTJ and I understood that he was mainly a voice actor these days - that is all.

2. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
  3. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    You also suggested that Luke Skywalker might be recast with "an alternative older actor who might have better acting chops" and said in no uncertain terms that Mark is inexperienced. The latter assertion is emphatically incorrect and the former is absurd.

4. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    I said -
    I meant from the casting/directors point of view, although as I've pointed out again and again - I haven't seen him act since ROTJ so I do wonder how polished he is these days?

5. lord_eidolon

Feb 2, 2004
    You mean you never had the pleasure of seeing his portrayal of Colonel Christopher Blair in those Wing Commander games? You haven't lived, my friend.

LANDO_ROCKS likes this.
  6. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    I'm not suggesting the man is a master thespian; he's no Olivier or Brando, nor does he have the magnetic presence of Harrison Ford. But Hamill is a beloved by most fans, and is clearly capable of playing an older Luke. The idea that a director would request that Luke Skywalker be recast when the actor who originally portrayed him is still alive is completely daft.

7. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I think that Luke was always meant to have a relatively sedate manner... having someone who plays more dramatic roles might be detrimental to his portrayal. Of course... Mark Hamill can do really over the top things.

*que the Joker*

8. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    The over-weight argument is ridiculous.... He can safely lose about 50 lbs in 12 weeks and look great with some make up to touch things up. People gain and lose weight for movies all the time... He will be a big part of the ST. A role like Qui Gon, but he will last though about 2.65 of the 3 movies...

Carrie Fisher (who will also go through Star Wars boot camp) will be have a supportive role through all 3 movies and Han will get through about 85% of Episode 7 before kicking the buckett....

JMHO

9. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    Terminator 10 (or whatever it was where Arnold was shredded)
    Rocky Balboa

10. lord_eidolon

Feb 2, 2004
  11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    No movie magic was used on Arnold or Stallone, they actually looked like that.

You're comparing the Big Three to Arnold and Stallone, who have spent their entire lives working on their bodies.

Your comparison is invalid.

12. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    This, and totally this.

We want to see an aged Luke Skywalker in the movie, not someone who looks like his overweight, beer drinking dad.

13. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Mark Hamill has also been saying he has 'questions' about the script before committing to anything. I'm hoping this means that he wants to have some say in the formation of the story... (He is apparently a fan of both Mara Jade and Ben Skywalker so his influence might be something that we EU fans would be happy to see.)

Or it could just be... "Show me the money."

14. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    "They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house! I'm not made of stone!" - Krusty the Clown

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  15. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Jack Thompson used to "hang out" with two sisters in the '70s. If anything, he's a beer-drinking LEGEND.

17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Hopefully, you are not saying we want a heroic Jedi to look like these old moisture farmers, right?

18. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Interesting. I heard that very same thing about Harrison.

19. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    While weight is often something that comes with aging (at least in our culture of abundance), it's not something that should be part of an active military character's physique. That includes aged Jedi, IMO -- unless the creators are trying to say something about the degradations or vices of age. In short, Hamill (as much as I love the guy) needs to lose a few pounds if he's going to credibly portray an elderly Jedi Master.

Lee_ likes this.
  20. Panakas_Dawg

Jul 29, 2004
    Just my way of saying I'm tired of seeing "Mark/Carrie/Harrison is too old/fat" posts. Dude, people age. People get hefty. Star Wars *does* have characters that are fair representations of older people. I'm neither ageist nor sizeist.

I'm saying that I don't mind what my "heroic Jedi" look like.

21. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    If Mark Hamill isn't in the sequels, Luke won't be. No one else will play him in any live-action Star Wars property, ever. That's the simple reality of the situation.

/thread

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Well, I haven't seen that many of those kinds of posts, but I will take your word for it that you have; maybe people ARE overdoing it in making this point.
    Nontheless, a princess and a Jedi in an action Sci-Fi adventure do not need to be politically correct on the fat tip, they need to be good representations of their characters.

Besides, although an overall average would be heavier in older people, that is only a very broad picture; it is not some sort of "unfair representation" of people in their 60's to be fit. This is true even if they are NOT gallant warriors or the princess in a SW movie.

Fair enough that YOU don't mind the master Jedi in the universe resembling some sort of human Jabba the Hut, but I don't think popular opinion agrees with you.

23. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    http://www.skynews.com.au/showbiz/article.aspx?id=821508

Mark unsure about Ep 7

24. Panakas_Dawg

Jul 29, 2004
    Nice that he doesn't mind a Luke recast. However, this will quell neither the discordant hordes nor the unruly rabble. Every cast member, Lucas, Disney, even God, could release a statement saying, "A rrecast would be OK by us." And, still, someone's childhood out there will meet a tragic fate.

Thanks for the news update. The pot shall be stirred once again!

KED12345 likes this.
  25. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    LOL, just be careful what you say...you could end up nailed to a cross somewhere.