main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I want a movie/tv free break of a couple of years for the EU to expand the PT properly.

2005 - 2013.

I want 1-3 years in which NOT A SINGLE sw product will be released so fans can catch up with older stuff they could not afford or get yet and like in the early days, reread stuff a lot for indepth analysis.

Not good business. Not good for the franchise. Not good for the fans.

I want a Sequel Trilogy that ENDS Sw properly and does not open it to a movietrain of endless moneymaking.

Why are we so hasty for it to end?

I want EU and Movies respecting and using each other properly, not mockingly.

Where's the mockery?

I want companies that are honest to fans and admit errors and problems, working on them rather than sitting them out in silence.

Sure, it'd be nice if once and a while people were like "yeah, that was a flub... ignore that Even Piell reference in the book."

I want West End Games back.
    I want Dark Horse to stay.

Sure, I agree with those two as well. But since WEG is dead, I'll settle for WEG's style coming back.

2. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

2005-2013? Wrong... TCW started what? 2008? PT needs as much time as the OT had. 10 years minimum.

I do not care if it is good for business, I want a superb product, not overprized stuff that lacks in quality due to rush.

As for why I want it to end? Completist's Curse! I want to know and see it all before I die... and Disney will exist beyond my death.. so SW will too. and that sucks. besides.. I prefer stuff like LOTR, A song of ice and fire, etc. that has a tight and well written core saga, an expanded universe too, but one that is coherent and well fitting instead of a huge messy place. And to boot these tales have a clear end, or work towards one in the case of A song of ice and fire. So no moneymaking till death, no unfairness to fans, no getting me broke. And I like that. SW was like that once, but now it smells like money.

Mockery... well, use of the EU without respecting it in some TCW episodes, not all, but some. Most do fine actually indeed.

last but not least, call me a nostalgic child of the 80s, but I want the world to stop rushing to its doom. I want it to slow down, take its time. A letter needn't arrive in a day, a car needn't go 200+km per hour and such. Sometimes retro is cool and fun too. Sure progress and all is great.. but not every website update is for the better, not every invention or innovation is for the better. Not even globalism, which is a curse rather than helpful. But that rant aside... so it is with SW and fans. Back in the day we reread books lots of times, studied every detail of them and discussed them like if they were Sequel movies themselves. Now? We read a book, we review it, we quote it a couple times and on to the next. Without selecting or reading only your favourite character you get lost and broke in the huge universe. and that is what sucks honestly. I want it all, the full experience. I am a SW fan, not a fan of just one character. I am a completist.. its all or nothing. and nothing is not an option.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Wrong. The other difference is that the movies aren't all planned out now.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I swear that you all get off on panicking. :p

Ulicus , Summer Dreamer and CooperTFN like this.
  5. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    you got it wrong, we get off on making you think we panic ;)

6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    There wouldn't have been another three years of TPM-AotC material in the scenario I'm suggesting, though, because 1999-2002 would have been spent pumping out pre-TPM material.

And what's another three years to someone who's already waited twenty five, anyway? :p

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    You know what I find most interesting? That there wasn't a single clue dropped at Celebration. Not. One. Clue. Not even a raving, crazy Star Wars fan shouting about a secret arrangement where Lucas had sold LFL to Disney and they'd be putting out new movies. The Del Rey panel, the canon panel, the CWAS preview where Lucas showed up - there's nothing there, even in hindsight. In fact, there's a lot of "If this was happening, why did you bother even telling us this?" running through my memories of the panels.
    I did, however, note at the time - "Gee, Disney has got some big honkin' booths here. What gives?" ;)

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Four billion dollars buys a great deal of shut-the-****-up.

Ulicus and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  9. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah, but I'm shocked that (a) no one slipped up and (b) the more paranoid, conspiracy-minded fans didn't somehow put forth a warped but essentially correct theory that everyone was laughing at them about.

10. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Whoops, lost track of that subtlety in my urge to rant. :p

Ulicus likes this.
  11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't think the vast majority of officials there would've had any idea yet. I'm still not convinced DH had any warning whatsoever.

12. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Hey man you gotta do what you gotta do!;)

13. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    If the unsubstantiated rumors (aka "Internet rumors") about Crucible are true, Del Rey would've had to known - meaning the executives, not the authors. DH almost certainly would've - like any good company hiding layoffs until the last minute, LFL wouldn't have wanted to tip their hand so DH could start winding down the Star Wars properties early.
    Pablo? Chee? I can't imagine that both of them didn't know.
    And kudos for guest-star Lucas for remaining from bursting into inappropriate maniacal laughter. That would've given the game away right there.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  14. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Pablo definitely knew during CVI, since he was told on June 29th. I bet Chee knew too.

Clearly we should done a better job interrogating them during the TFN party...

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Do you really want Mickey Mouse gunning for you, RF? And I mean that literally. Don't cross the Mouse.

edit: In fact, I bet they wanted to tell us too, but were already fearing the Disney spies... in fact, some of us may even be Disney sleeper agents.

16. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Since I am apparently the only person on the world that actually liked the John Carter movie I must be a Disney spy. ;) Especially since Dejah Thoris is my favorite Disney Princess. =P~

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The whole thing just proves that Pablo's will is greater than that of fifteen men combined.

Either that, or the joy at our ignorance is what fueled Pablo's ability to host so many dang panels at C6...

"Ha-ha! The fools! They know nothing! Ha-ha!"
    (POWER-UP!)
    "Yes! The obliviousness! It feeds me!"
    ::walks out on stage::
    "Alright, folks- welcome to our panel on the history of Scholastic flyers advertising Star Wars books. On our panel, we're joined by Ryder Windham, Jude Wahahahaha, er, Jude Watson and Scholastic editor..."

18. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I disagree personally. There'd have been no reason for DR or DH to need to "know" anything beyond the vaguest of instructions from The Office Of George Lucas that they should wind up any story arcs, not launch anything new, and wait for more information. For all they'd have known, Lucas was simply planning a new multimedia project a la TFU or TCW.

That provides them with all the long term planning they require without directly saying: "Yo dawgs! I'm selling up! Wheeeeee!!"

19. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I finally saw that movie on the plane down to CVI. I wouldn't say that it was bad, but since I had read the book, I could find everything that didn't quite match up, things that were taken from other books, and overall, while the movie did keep me entertained (Sola is my favorite character from the book), I had to give it a review of "meh" due to all the differences.

Though, I will give it credit... Since I was watching it on a tiny screen on the plane, the CG looked pretty good. That's the secret to good CGI: View it on tiny screens so you don't notice how bad it is. :p

20. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

It's more like this:

George: "Hey, lets announce this big at CVI!"
    All: "Are you nuts? You want to be the one telling the fans, in person on stage.. millions of surprised, angry and even fearful fans who will go berserk and wreck the con. You are lucky if you get out of there alive. Bilbo Baggins vanishing trick was smarter than your suicide-by-fans attempt! Remember what happened when Chewie was killed in the EU?"
    George: "Now that you say it.. yeah, let the press do it."

21. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    you are not alone ;) besides... she prooves Disney Princesses do not need many clothes. So... bring on the Legacy of the Metal Bikini in the Sequels... Jaina and the next gen need some new dress.

22. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    It would, however, have been hilarious to see a guy in a Mickey Mouse costume suddenly walk onto the stage and George say he's got a special announcement to make.

23. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I'd just like to say, I didn't think John Carter was too bad either. Not great, but still enjoyable. In some ways I think it's a pity there won't be any follow-ups.

By the way, what are these rumors about Crucible that have been mentioned?

Ulicus likes this.
  24. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

they should have kept quiet and merely have done this:

=lights out=
    Disney Theme plays and then they screen a Sequel Teaser featuring the entire Epi7 crawl

all that uncommented at the end of the panel.. no questions, no answers. just this and keep fans in the dark... till the press announcement

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    carter's main drawback is that the two leads lacked the gravitas for their roles. The actor playing Carter in particular (though, oddly enough, he was actually rather entertaining in the Earth segments, he just became dull while on Mars...sort of the opposite of what was intended, I suspect).

kataja likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.