main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Any fans of Death Troopers here?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Brenapp, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Okay, hands up anybody who likes this book. Doesn't matter if you didn't think it was brilliant or flawless, as long as you still enjoyed it! :)

2. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I enjoyed it. Not the best or my favorite, but I did enjoy it. Red Harvest was ok too.

Brenapp likes this.
  3. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Actually, I liked Death Troopers for what it was. It was a pretty tight story. Red Harvest was also fun. Incredibly silly but fun. Death Troopers was the superior book though.

TrakNar likes this.
  4. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    Agreed.

5. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    I read Death troopers when it first came out and really enjoyed it. Never really understood the hate it gets. Only issue I had was Chewbacca and Han took away some of the tension and felt a bit forced since we knew they had to survive, but other than that I really enjoyed the book.

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Death Troopers was a rather fun read, nothing special, but just a nice classic era Star Wars novel, helped by mostly getting told from normal Imperial perspective/ Underworld characters POV. Never got past the first hundred pages of Red Harvest though.

7. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I have it, but haven't got around to reading it yet.

8. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I enjoyed Deathtroopers well enough, though it would definitely have benefited from a lack of Han and Chewie.

9. GrandMasterKatarn

GrandMasterKatarn Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 8, 2008
    Death Troopers was enjoyable. Red Harvest made The Ruins of Dantooine seem appealing

10. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Something you don't like about talking flowers?

11. GrandMasterKatarn

GrandMasterKatarn Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 8, 2008
    Nope. It was just too predictable for me.

12. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Ripping lines directly off of "Taken" didn't help matters either.

13. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    As far as zombie novels go, it actually wasn't bad at all. Haven't read Red Harvest.

I keep hearing this... Taken seems like such an odd movie for a Star Wars zombie movie to quote.

What was the line?

14. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    Yes, I'd be interested in knowing what it was too.

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I thought the base plot of this novel was actually pretty good. It could have been wayyyy better minus the obvious Han Solo/Chewy additions.

Unfortunately I did not see Taken, so I didn't catch that part. I'm also curious about that. Was it one instance, or throughout the novel?

16. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    The one thing about the novel's plot that bothers me a little is the part where the prison ship's sensors suddenly register the life form readings coming from the zombie horde as they swarm up from the lower levels of the vessel. Why do the sensors only detect them now, when earlier on there was strong indication that the corpses had already become mobile (such as when bodies in corridors vanish)?

17. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Alright, I don't have the book on hand right now, but the quote from the movie was "I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."

Quote from the book: "Listen to me, Trace told him. I don't know who you are, but I am in possession of a very special set of skills. If you bring my sister back right now, unharmed, then I'll let you go. But if you don't, I promise you, I will track you down. I will find you. And I will make you pay." [pg. 53]

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I liked Death Troopers. I wouldn't mind seeing more SW horror. Wasn't that crazy about Red Harvest though.

19. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    I liked Death Troopers a lot. However I didn't really care for Red Harvest, and I wish it's story had fit the gruesome image of the zombie Sith Lord over the blood-stained altar. Instead we got a academy that was more like a Sith high school and a talking flower as the 'secret ingredient.' :oops:

20. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I thoroughly enjoyed Death Troopers. It was atmospheric and I thought Schreiber handled Han and Chewie rather well. We knew that they were going to survive, so he put them in the background and concentrated mainly on the new characters. One death came as a bit of a shock, as I was hoping for that character to survive. I liked how Schrieber employed all of the reader's senses, and I had a very distinct image of the prison barge, right down to the distant sounds of water dripping, the clang of boots on the metal grating, and the smells. At least one scene made me nauseous and I have to commend Schrieber for his medical knowledge. Though, I will still say that it was one of the most atmospheric EU books I've read, and when I got my copy signed, I made sure to let him know.

On another note, I've met Schreiber before he wrote Death Troopers. He handled the films for my chest x-ray when I was in the hospital with a really bad bout of bronchitis! I wonder if my rib-racking cough inspired him...

21. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    QFT.

I like small-scale books like this; books that really take their time to establish and explore a setting. Also, I've wanted to walk around a Star Destroyer ever since I first read Dark Force Rising (my first contact with Star Wars; don't ask.) The idea of these huge city-like ships is one of the things that really got me interested in the franchise.

I didn't mind Han & Chewie, actually; I felt that the "are they gonna make it?" thrill was not really diminished by their inclusion, as the novel mostly focused on the original characters; and it added the "how are they going to get out of this one" kind of suspense to the whole thing, as well.

22. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    I had fun reading the book. I was hoping for just an enjoyable time reading it, and that is what I got. I also rather enjoyed Han and Chewie. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the author did with those two characters. He did a better representation of them than some EU regulars I think.

TrakNar likes this.
  23. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    This is what I'm enjoying most about it so far (about 60 pages in). It's very atmospheric and richly detailed. The characters are stock, but like their surroundings they're described so vividly that it breathes new life into them... no pun intended.

24. stung4ever

stung4ever Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    I'll +1 that Death Troopers was a fun read, though it would have benefited from not shoehorning Han & Chewie in.

Red Harvest, the Taken quote just (not pun intended) took me out of the story.

25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I really liked it. Quite atmospheric. I thought the bit with the wookie infant was quite eerie.