main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Mark Hamill unsure about Star Wars 7

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Nov 27, 2012.

1. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Hey Mark - George here um remember in August I said we were doing 7,8 & 9 & we might need you well we want to offer you a couple of million bucks for a 15 min role but you have to lose 30lbs....hello Mark are you there ? oh is that you George it's Marks wife here he's just rushed out to the gym said he would be about 4 hours ! .

2. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Well Disney is not stupid they will not recast these roles , I'm sure Mak Hamill will be in it cause he will not be the focus , I'm sure the story will be good for Mark & as he is a friend of George say no more .

Ps....if Luke is recast Im sure millions of fans will cry out & then silence & then no one turns up to see the film .

3. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    Royals aren't fat? Please tell this to Queen Victoria and Empress Maria Theresa. Queen Vicky's underoos went up for auction somewhat recently and she had about a 38" waist (and that probably wasn't the end of her life--and she was 5' flat in height). There are rather a lot of real royals that you wouldn't want to see in bikinis.

Carrie Fisher, besides having lost 50 lbs. recently, might not be donning the metal bikini again, but she could very easily and handily supply lots of acerbic wit while wearing senatorial robes and having big ornate hair pieces piled on her head.

Harrison Ford can probably kick the *sses of most people on this forum even at 70. Han mostly flies a ship while sitting on his tush in a cockpit (and to top it off, he really does know how to fly planes) and runs down corridors a bit with a blaster. It's not really getting dragged under a truck.

OT-style lightsaber fights were not acrobatic, frog-hopping, style-over-substance bore-fests, but character-focused dramatic scenes that were actually more focused on delivering a big plot revelation. And I'd rather not have Mark Hamill's face pasted on a stunt double with soulless stunt choreography that is more about a CGI spectacle than storytelling. I would rather have as athletic (sarcasm) a fight performance as Alec Guinness gave if it meant that the scenes are more likely to be focused on allowing the actors to act and the dramatic beats to be hit instead. Note that Luke was never one obsessed with flying through the air with a lightsaber (he only flips during Yoda's training, jumps out of the carbonite chamber to escape freezing and propels himself back onto the sail barge as yet another means of escape--that's the extent of his youthful acrobatics and NONE of them are mid-combat while swinging a lightsaber!).

Hindering the stunt choreographers to work as storytellers during a scene that is more about getting an emotional beat out would probably do wonders if the script is up to par. Hindering those guys with a 60-something Mark might actually be a good thing for the story if utilized correctly. I don't want them doing to him what they did to 80-year-old Christopher Lee just because they could.

krtmd and Artoo-Dion like this.
  4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm pretty sure that if Luke appears Mark will play him. If he's recast, I don't mind as long as the movie is good.

Of course, fans will kick and scream and bitch and moan...then go see the movie five times and buy all the merchandise, all the while complaining.

5. Jedi Master Kenobi

Jedi Master Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2012
    I just love how positive and realistic Hamill is! Seems like the coolest most easy going guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Good to know that Hamill hasn't forgotten what the fans want - a good Star Wars film. If he were posting incognito here, it wouldn't surprise me because he'd fit in perfectly.

7. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I always thought from the Special Ed. docus that a Luke in his mid-40s would be awesome. I'm all for Hamill being the only actor to portray Luke in live action. They should make a bridge animated series though :) .

8. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Gee, I really hope they won't base Princess Leia on some gluttonous earth royals, that could be a real disaster....

9. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    If the issue really is the weight then these actors can lose it. It is 100% pointless to be worried about that, and the concern is getting incredibly old.

10. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    See, this is exactly the reason why he should come back! He understands the role. He understands what Star Wars is. Personally I'd hit the roof if he was recast, but if Mark is OK with it...well...[face_dunno]

11. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I think the concern is that they're getting incredibly old. ;)

But seriously, why are people being concerned about that? Just because Luke was young and vigorous in the previous trilogy? It was never a surprise to me that that doesn't last; I began watching Obi-Wan as an old man and only later saw him as a young man, so it never disturbed me that someone who was young-looking and active in a series would appear in the same series as, well, not those things. I just took it as a given; and because I was trained on the idea that a sequel trilogy would necessitate Luke now stepping into the Ben role from way back, none of this is a shock.

It's actually an opportunity to do something equal in importance to the concept of the Hero's Journey: the other two trilogies were, at least in part, about young people growing up and struggling with becoming functioning adults, about boys becoming men. Anakin failed that transition; Luke succeeded and became a fully-realized person. But Joseph Campbell (remember him, kids?) consistently stated that the other function of mythology was about helping people to cope with the gradual loss of their vital powers, with aging, and ultimately with death. The human being, he said, has the longest period of old age of any animal, and he enters that period KNOWING he will eventually die; why not use the next trilogy, and the character of Luke, as the vehicle for that kind of Hero's Journey? He's already been seen going from boy to man; is it so difficult to see him grow from man to old man? For me, at the age of forty, I have to concede that it's becoming a concern I have to reckon with, and I see value in having the mythology that I grew up with, that for better or worse helped me to transition from boy to man, also help me to cope with this equally important stage of a life. It's a little different than what Star Wars has been doing - which itself is argument against the idea - but it would enable the saga to do a clever variation on what it has always done: to describe how people have to cope with the actual living of a life.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  12. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    They're hardly incredibly old, Mark Hamill just turned 61 this year. He will be about the same age as Sir Alec Guiness was when he played Obi-Wan in Episode IV. If anything, Mark Hamill's the perfect choice for Luke to be filling the role of the old mentor for our main protagonist in the ST. With all the techniques out there for losing weight, pills, Hollywood diet plans, I have no doubt that Mark Hamill could loose weight if he wanted to be in Star Wars again within the next three years.

13. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    well you gotta wonder who would be a good stand-in for mark.

14. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    I'm with most people on this one. Hammil must be Skywalker. Shoehorning anybody else into the role would be a serious mistake, I feel.

15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    No one. Sorry.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  16. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    "Actor Mark Hamill was unsure until they waved a contract under his nose and he signed so fast it was invisible to the human eye."

What he says above is, "If they have Luke in the same age bracket as me, I'll do it."

He's as good as cast, IMO.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  17. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Thats assuming the role they have in mind for Luke is an old mentor for a new protagonist. I've seen rumors now that Ryan Gosling might be who they are looking at to play Luke instead of Hamill. If thats case clearly they want to tell a story about a much younger Luke (at least in Episode VII, maybe that will change in future Episodes).

18. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Mark Hamill MUST play Luke, there can be no other way! All the people that are worried about his looks, rest assured thats nothing a little exercise and proper diet can't fix in a couple of months. Not to mention the professional make up artists and stylists in hollywood.

19. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    Where have you been hearing those rumors? First I ever heard of anything like that. I think the idea of assuming anyone will play a part before a director has even been announced should be taken are far less than face value.

20. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    It all depends on the story they want to tell in the PT and what kind of Luke they need.

If they want to set the story 3 years after RotJ, someone like Gosling makes more sense.

21. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Why? Happens all the time.

22. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    I personally haven't seen that as the norm, but I won't go so far as to argue the point. Again though, where have you heard these rumors? Are they even reliable?

23. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I could get behind the choice of Bradley Cooper.

24. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    But it has been stated numerous times that Lucas' original plan was for the third trilogy to focus on a new generation of Skywalker, so it seems like the new trilogy would have to be set a good amount of time after Jedi. Anyway, Gosling has no physical resemblance to Hamill, so I don't think he would be a good choice either way. I think it is likely that Hamill will return as Luke.

25. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I really hope that the new trilogy is set a few decades after Jedi, and we have Hamill playing Luke again. It makes the most sense that way, and Gosling looks absolutely nothing like Hamill, so that would be very weird would take people out of the movie!.