main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Lawrence Kasdan may write Episode 8

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Serpico Jones, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Coming to theaters 2016

Star Wars: Boba Fett The Wretched, The Scum, And The Villiany

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  2. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    I liked Jumper.

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  3. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Star Wars is already more or less ubiquitous. I dont think a lot of films will "cheapen" it. Its already pretty shameless, lets face it.

That's not a criticism, it's just the way it is.

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  4. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    This post is so venomous and over-the-top, I just can't let it go in spite of my best instincts to turn away from it with a quiet, ironic smile. I haven't seen Darling Companion, but it's unavoidable it did incredibly poorly at the box office, taking in less than $1 million on a $12 million budget and garnering a 21% Fresh rating on RT. Ouch. Dreamcatcher (2003) was largely written by perennial fan fave William Goldman (Princess Bride, Butch Cassidy, etc.) but no one is lambasting Goldman for his failure in this effort (which boasts only minimal script tweaks from director Kasdan), and at least Dreamcatcher recouped its budget. Going back further, Wyatt Earp drags a bit but it's a damn fine film, IMO, and while it didn't recoup its investment it was nominated for several awards. Kasdan did not write French Kiss. The worst reviews of Mumford are that it's unmemorable, but critics never considered it to be the "atrocity" Mr. Bugle accuses it, and all these other films, of being. Maybe the man has lost his touch, but IMO that remains to be seen, and his worst offense seems to be that he can't strike on an engaging concept. That's all in Lucas's hands, and I doubt that Kasdan has lost his ability to write witty, firecracker dialogue a-la Raiders and ESB when provided with a solid foundation to work on. Time will tell, of course, but in the meantime I for one will reject the kind of hateful, doom-portending screed Mr. Bugle delivers above. If Kasdan (or Kinberg) fails to turn in a dynamic or effective script, the producers will call him on it, ditch his material and employ someone else.

fishtailsam likes this.
  5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Dreamcatcher is probably the worst movie with the best creative team of any film I've ever seen. It's kind of astounding.

xezene likes this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Agreed. It is the only film I have ever gotten up and walked out of. Ever. And I love some awful, awful films that barely qualify as cinema... but, the astounding disparity between creative team vs product was mind numbing.

7. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    THR has issued a follow-up report stating that Kasdan and Kinberg's projects might end up being spin-offs rather than Episodes VIII and IX as was originally reported, but, either way, it appears as if the two men will be involved with the SW franchise in some fashion going forward.

8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003

Pfft, AOTC > TPM

9. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Episode I is no peach either, but it's better than Clones.

10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    TPM has like 3 good bits in it - Podrace, Maul Fight & Naboo Ground/Space Battle.

AOTC has far more - Coruscant chase, Jango Fett vs Obi Wan on Kamino & in space, Geonosis arena & land Battle, Dooku vs Obi Wan & Anakin, Dooku vs Yoda.

None of the PT films are bad, they just aren't great. Considering what they had to live up to in terms of the OT movies, it's not suprising people were disappointed.

11. bergstrom

bergstrom Jedi Master star 2

Jan 26, 2004
    Once the saga gets silly and moves away from the skywalkers, I'm gone.

12. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    None of those scenes in AOTC are all that great. Some of them are even laughable.

And yes, they are bad. If your characters are lame, the movie crumples. And they were lame indeed.

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    These are all subjective opinions. Mine is that TPM and AOTC are equal to each other, and ROTS is better than them. ANH and TESB are better than ROTS and equal to each other. Then ROTJ is equal to ROTS.

14. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    That goes without saying. Is it really necessary for us all to attach "IMHO" to everything we say? Of course it's opinion.

15. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Regardless of whether you like the prequels or not, they were less critical to the future of the franchise. They're an origins story that doesn't feature the main characters from the OT (for the most part). This time around, we're going to have a direct sequel to the said classics with (presumably) the beloved iconic characters. The complaints about the PT would seem like nothing compared to what might happen if the fans feel the characters were somehow cheapened or changed in some bad way (there's also a potential controversy involving EU). Not to mention, ROTJ wraps up practically everything so coming up with an original story with new characters that's not simply a rehash of the OT but still feels like Star Wars is going to be extremely challenging. The sequel trilogy will really determine whether Disney has made a good business decision by acquiring Lucasfilm.

SithLordDarthRichie and LawJedi like this.
  16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    No, adding "IMHO" is not necessary, but how one presents their opinion makes a difference. Saying something like "And yes, they are bad" just sounds argumentative and could be construed as saying "you're wrong and your opinion sucks."

17. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Well, if you express your opinion that differs with someone else's, that is what you're saying if you boil it down. You can respect their opinion, sure, but if you don't agree with it, you think they're wrong & if you offer yours you're stating that. So what? That's nothing to get your hackles up over. People can't speak frankly anymore without offending someone.

18. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004

I also have a problem when people use the word "objectively" when describing their perceived inferiority of the PT. I don't think they realise what it makes them sound like.

eht13 and LawJedi like this.
  19. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    n jfwme jfw few few ew few fwf sdv svdsv sd

20. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    God, seriously, THIS.

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Well said. However, I would add: jfwme pew sbd fwfah

22. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    NaTaLie is a deity? ^:)^

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  23. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    :rolleyes: [face_blush]

Count Yubnub likes this.
  24. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
  25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Interesting... so it could still be a trilogy, or there could be a main Skywalker trilogy and then, say.... a bounty hunter movie? Like a 1313 sort of situation? I would love to see other areas of the universe explored like that.