main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Generation gaps among the fans

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by princessnikki, Nov 28, 2012.

?

Are you an original era fan, a Special Edition fan or a Prequel Trilogy Fan?

1. Original Era

98 vote(s)
    61.3%
  2. Special Edition Era

28 vote(s)
    17.5%
  3. Prequel Trilogy Era

28 vote(s)
    17.5%
  4. Haven't seen any movies and the E.U stories are my Star Wars!

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. What is Star Wars? Is that the one with Captain Picard?

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree, it would have been more credible had they included a "full saga" option. Still... when forced to choose...

Episode Swag likes this.
  2. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    As a surprise my mom took us to see ROTJ in 83. It was a matinee but it was the loudest I ever remember while attending a movie. The other kids brought toy blasters and lightsabers and kept playing with them during the movie. It was raucous. I remember my mom sat behind us and after Luke pulled off that great plan to recue Han I turned around and she was sleeping. I was like "How can you sleep -- this is Star Wars! And its noisy!"

Episode Swag and DarthKreVass like this.
  3. Sith_Bounty-Hunter

Sith_Bounty-Hunter Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2002
    Original Trilogy for me, born in 77, first movie in the theater was Empire

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I still remember the VHS tapes that were released around '95. I was a rabid Star Trek toddler, and my mom and dad introduced me to ANH I think around that time. My little 4 year old mind could not comprehend it. For the longest time I thought Star Trek and Star Wars were the same thing. It wasn't until the Special Editions in '97 that I began to pick up on the differences.

As for the profile pic, I just picked it because it's funny. It perfectly reflects my feelings towards the bashers vs. gushers wars of the PT.

Episode Swag likes this.
  5. princessnikki

princessnikki Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2012

The poll isn't asking what you are a fan of? It is asking in what era did you become a fan? It is is more to do with how old were you when you became a fan? and not asking if you are you a fan of them all? By "Era" I am referring to a period in time and not to the trilogy.

6. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I disagree. It seems to be asking what era you are a fan of. I am an original era fan, someone else may be a Special Edition era fan and so forth. Two of the questions seem to indicate that "not a fan" or not a fan of a movie era is an option which seems to suggest that it isn't about the time frame in which you became a fan..

7. princessnikki

princessnikki Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2012
    Kilroy, I know what I wrote and I am not interested in an argument. If you don't want to vote....don't vote...I won't lose any sleep about it.

I would have thought reading my original post might be something of an indication to the fact it is referring to the era you became a fan and not what you are a fan of.....the same goes for a lot of the other peoples posts...they talk about when they became a fan...not about what they are a fan of!

Artoo-Dion , Echo-07 and krtmd like this.
  8. EUdiscoverer1136

EUdiscoverer1136 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2012
    It must have been interesting seeing the story that way. Very cool.

Julius Vernon likes this.
  9. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I'm amazed at how great of a majority started off as OT era fans. Maybe commenting on forums is an old dude thing? lol

Episode Swag likes this.
  10. EUdiscoverer1136

Sep 18, 2012
    Had to be the longest three years of my life, lol!

krtmd likes this.
  11. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    lol

or a 43 year old woman thing

12. EUdiscoverer1136

Sep 18, 2012
    Yeah. It was a great movie era to grow up in. Not to mention, we got the best of John Williams, thank you very much, lol!

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  13. EUdiscoverer1136

Sep 18, 2012
    Great post! Another time, another world. sigh.

14. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I was fortunate enough to be a young teen when ANH debuted. It was a magical time in my life. So many fond memories! That's why I get easily offended when someone takes a shot at the OT. I feel like it's my child in a way and I will jealously defend it.

15. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I picked Special Edition era because I was ten when they came out. I already knew the OT by heart, so I knew my favorite movies were being "ruined", but when you're ten, fun things are fun and not threatening.

16. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Same here. After ANH was out a bit and was released to more theaters I would go with my friends to see the double feature with Star Wars and another movie. That was when you could sit in a movie theater all day if you wanted. We would go for the first SW movie and then sit through some crappy movie like Laserblast and then watch Star Wars again. Five or six hours sitting in a dark theater with your friends. It was fun.

And it was fun...remember in 1977 most of us didn't have personal computers, home video games were Pong or some other lame game, I only had three channels of TV programing. Most people couldn't afford a Beta video player because of the recession. We didn't have walkmans, iPods, iPads. We were one step above a hoop and a stick.o_O We found LIGHTBRIGHT entertaining!! Now my kids are BORED! They don't know what bored really is.

17. EUdiscoverer1136

Sep 18, 2012
    I'm a first generation fan. In April 1977, I had just moved into a new neighborhood (5th time in 5 years). We were on welfare, I was wondering how long it would take before I met the new bullies, or how soon we would move again before I got a chance to have made new friends. My escapist fare at the time was The Six Million Dollar Man, and it was getting pretty lame. Being an avid Starlog reader, I heard all the hoopla about SW, but didn't really care much.
    Didn't take long to make a friend, and he was into Trek. In discussing that, he mentioned he saw SW, and how great it was. Whatever.
    Then that Meco Disco theme came out. I was a music freak, and by that time EVERYBODY was talking. Finally, my Mom forked over the dough to see it. I was hooked! Others are right, unless you were there, it's difficult to discribe the feeling.
    There was no saga, no episode number or title.
    Just Star Wars.
    One awesome movie.
    It was more a huge amusement park ride than a movie! I'd never seen anything like it. Sad to say, there'll never be another experience like it again.

Being 12 going on 13, I didn't get into the toys, though I remember the "Empty Box" campaign. I didn't want all that. I wanted the film!! But, we didn't have the money to see it multiple times. No one I knew was rich enough to have a BetaMax, and it wasn't available anyway. So I got anything else I could to get close to it. I got the Marvels, I bought the soundtrack and an album called "The Story of Star Wars" which had a lot of audio from the movie. I got the trading cards. I got the book "The Art of Star Wars" which had the script, including the deleted scenes with Biggs!

I saw it two more times. A muddy roiginal run 77 print during a budget re-release in 78, and a pristine original re-release in 79.
    Splinter, the Solo Trilogy.
    Saw the (gulp) Star Wars Holiday Special in Nov 78
    Got the album "Christmas in the Stars" in 79. (Anybody remember THAT???)

I was late seeing Empire, but only a week late. I heard the Vader revelation before because I had bought Marvel's Super-Special adaption. Stupid, huh? But nothing could beat seeing it in theaters!

In 83, I took off school to be there for Jedi on opening day. 7th heaven!

Everthing stopped in 86, but by then I lost interest. I was a Trekker by then. Lucas quit, anyway. Wasn't even interested in the EU birth in the early 90's.

Got into it again with the SE's. It was the perfect diversion. I'd just lost a chunk of family.. and my home, in 97. SW was kinda my anchor to sanity at the time.

Ep 1 dissapointed me, but with each movie, it got better. Then I viewed 1 through 6 as a whole, and found it works pretty great. Got into the current Clone Wars series, then found the EU.

I love the entire saga.... All the worlds of SW, though I'm a bit apprehensive about the ST. We'll see.

I was really surprised how much division and infighting there is among fans now. Different factions fighting over different representations of the Star Wars Universe. It all seemed kind of silly to me, only to find myself feeling like a hypocrate when I got upset myself over someone's opinion, lol.

I was pleasantly suprised to see a thread in which all SW fans could come and post their experiences and memories. It's personal, our enjoyment of this thing. But it's nice to see it's also something we can all share with other fans as well.
    Thanks, Your Worshipfullness, lol!

Episode Swag, krtmd and princessnikki like this.
  18. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I forgot all about that. I loved that song. I would call up the radio station to request it all the time....because we didn't have iTunes back then!o_O

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Aw man I remember that movie! I watched the version with the MST3K commentary. So many good lines.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  20. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    I'm an ancient 36 years old so I grew up with SW. When I was a kid, every weekend SW would play on TV somewhere. I would scour the TV guides every month hoping for nothing else but SW. Also The Last Starfighter. Loved that movie. Somewhat obscure though!

21. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    I'm a little less than a year older than the original Star Wars. my mother tells me I saw it with her in the theater on opening weekend...when I was ten months old (Yeah, she was one of those parents). I don't remember seeing ESB in the theater, but I know I saw Jedi when it came out. My mom was cool like that.

Even so, I voted for the special edition era because I think they polished up the original work very nicely for the most part. Sure there were a couple controversial things, but for the most part, I didn't mind the improvement.

Topics like this are interesting to me, because when you have a fandom that has lasted as long as this one has, you inevitably wind up with different generations of fans who see the galaxy far far away from totally different perspectives. I occasionally wonder what the average Star Was fan of the future would be like, 20, 30 years down the road or longer? Could there come a point in time where the OT is no longer relevant? Would there come a time when the average fan would say "yeah I respect it for starting this whole thing, but the modern stuff is better". There are already PT fans who say that.

Inevitably there will be fans who say the sequel trilogy and/or it's spinoffs are the best, likely because they're younger and were exposed to them before anything else. Time marches forward.

Episode Swag likes this.
  22. EUdiscoverer1136

Sep 18, 2012
    Yeah.. I think the "on-demand" culture is missing the thrill of actually waiting to see if they play "your song".

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  23. Ron Fett

Ron Fett Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    I was born in 91, so grew up with the PT but still watched my uncle's OT videos. I greatly prefer the originals, but did enjoy the prequels. In the era of Avatar and The Avengers, I fear that the kids who go see Episode VII will expect gratuitous fights and explosions and be bored by anything else.

Episode Swag likes this.
  24. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Great characters will overcome this, by & large.

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I was three when SW (ANH) came out in '77, so I've been a fan for basically my whole life. Saw it then in the theater and then of course saw the following films as they came out too. So I was six in '80 when TESB came out, and we were living in England at the time. Our neighbor just a few houses away in the small town we lived in was none other than Alec Guinness, so meeting Obi-Wan Kenobi every now and then was pretty mindblowing for a six year old SW fan. When the PT films came out I loved them too (ROTS the most), and I pretty easily adjusted my SW view from "the Trilogy" to "the Saga". So I couldn't vote in this poll with the given choices.

Episode Swag likes this.