main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Why the NJO and Legacy Era are toast.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by stellarmagic01, Nov 5, 2012.

?

Do you think the NJO and Legacy are going to Survive Episode VII?

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. No

154 vote(s)
    72.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Most likely not to avoid confusion

But Episode VII not using them any/or a re-started EU doesn't erase them from existence. They are still there, you still enjoyed them. YOu just new and more stories and characters

Just because you would be bitter about a fresh start doesn't mean everyone in the fanbase would. And as I've pointed out, the DC problem is quality not the re-start itself. DC has re-started and re-freshed its characters many times. Batman didn't always spend his life training to be Batman, that came later. Superman has crashedon earth as a toddler, infant and a fetus. He has been married to Lois and not married to Lois. The other problem with the DC thing is they've tried to be alittle bit pregent which has caused a lot of confusion (its funny, since thats kind of what you want to do with STar Wars). They wold hav ebeen much better served to just completely re-start the whole thing. The "somethings still counta nd others don't" approach is the worst path to take, and the DC reboot is proving that.

I've always said, the quality would have to be there in a re-started EU.

2. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    What DC needed was a clear demarcation line between what they'd take and what they wouldn't. I know a lot of people that are angry with the restart because relationships they were invested in have been retconned. If you attract a readers with a high quality reboot but don't leave some sort of anchor for the old fans to grab hold of... you're not growing the fan base, you're creating a whole new one.

3. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
  4. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Star wars has that anchor - Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, R2, 3PO, the force etc.....

5. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    With the Big 3 rapidly approaching their retirement/expiring dates.

Established readers want to read about their familiar characters; not entirely unknown ones.

Established readers also, generally, want to read the writings of their favoured established authors.

Established authors:
    1) Want to write about the characters they themselves have created; not new characters that were created by someone else,
    2) Want to write about worlds/settings/cultures of their own envisioning, not ones that have been changed out of all recognition.

Mess established authors about enough, and pretty soon they might decide not to write for Star Wars anymore (they all have their own independent projects) and new authors might think twice about coming on board as replacements, in case the same thing happens to them.

6. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Ya you're right. Look at how many trouble Marvel and DC have in attracting talent to work for them when they re-start their continuities...........

The world will not end if/when the EU is restarted Tim. People won't stop reading Star Wars books. They won't have trouble attracting quality authors etc...

And if 1 and 2 were correct, those authors would go make up their own setting, not write in an established one.

7. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
  8. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Great, but the fact that work within the Star Wars univesre and do use characters that other people (Lucas and other authors) created and defined, and use planets and enviroments that others have defined prove that they are ok doing that. I'm not sure what your argument is, apart from this blanket "if the EU is erased the world is over" position you seem to have.

9. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    One author has already left the franchise. Several established readers have stated on these boards that they will quit if there is too much disruption to the existing continuity. Like StellarMagic01 said:

10. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    And did anyone follow Travis? Did her leaving do any damage to the EU as a whole? No, it just kept right on going.

Fans always say that and rarely leave. As I've pointing out, restarts like this always increase readership, it doesn't decrease it.

11. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I hesitate to join in this round robin between the two of you, but I'm unsure that we've seen a restart quite like the one you're predicting, Fenton. Again, I don't agree with your premise that a reboot of the post ROTJ EU novels would work exactly like a comic book series reboot, so I'm not sure you can accurately predict how fans will react - particularly when you don't seem to be an EU fan.

tsunami1138 and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  12. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    The increase in readership from a reboot tends to be relatively temporary. Now... as I said earlier, there are storylines that the fans will be very resistant to seeing dropped or rendered AU due to a restart... There are storylines that are too celebrated to drop (Killing Joke in DC Comics, The Thrawn Trilogy in the current EU).

I guess I'm in favor of something of a reboot, but not one that gets rid of everything... the Bantam era was pretty much tied up with a bow so that anything could happen after it. The same can not be said for the dark and gritty realm of the Del Rey era, at least not until they finish their books up and VII comes out.

13. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Which is what is being claimed as the preference of the new-generation of readers (teenagers) that have come into the EU.

14. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm sorry Tim but looking at sales figures, the NJO tends to perform worse compared to the Bantam era in terms of sales, they don't have the same longevity of say... X-wing series or any of the Zahn books (As an aside Zahn is probably laughing his butt off as he writes dark and gritty with Mara Jade in the Rebellion era), even the Jedi Academy Trilogy has had more staying power then the NJO books. If you want to write dark and gritty, write Rebellion era... write Dark Times... or write Clone Wars.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Han: Hey Luke you having some toast?
    Luke: Yup it's NJO and Legacy Era flavored. Want some?
    Han: Of course.

16. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    Mara Jade stares at the pile of toast for a moment then grins. "So... does this mean I haven't died yet?"

"Yep, and Chewie hasn't either." Han says. "I've got to get some butter for this... maybe we should make nerf-toast sandwiches."

"Excellent." Mara says as she grabs a piece of toast. "So... how do you think they'll work the Vong back in eh?"

Luke smirks. "Remember our little trip to the Chiss and what you said about their convoluted little plan?"

Mara's eyes widen. "Thrawn... Thrawn clone against the Vong? I'd pay good credits to see that!"

"What about my son... is he dead still?" Han asks quietly.

"Which one?" Luke asks.

"Anakin."

"Well...the Universe apparently doesn't like him." Luke said.

"Damn." Han growls. "What about Jacen?"

"It's in the force's hands now." Luke said.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  17. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    We already know that a large chunk of the readership left during or after the NJO (could I venture to suggest that they did so because they were not being provided with what they wanted?); however, there are still Saba fans, Valin/Jysella fans, Jaina and Jag fans, Tahiri fans, Ben fans, Vestara fans, even Allana fans still buying and reading.

What happens if they are not provided with what they want? Could we see the same effect again?

As for Clone Wars, what I'm hearing is that the junior readership isn't getting enough books to satisfy them.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Audience member: Wait where is Chewie?
    Meanwhile in the movie - Han: I'm so sad that Chewie died because a moon fell on him.
    Audeince member: I like Star Trek now.

Artoo-Dion , leiamoody and Krueger like this.
  19. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    The same thing could happen, yes... but!

If the relationships are important, or particular characters are popular, they'll be worked back in. The Jaina - Jag relationship is one I like... but it'd need reworked in the scenario I'm presenting. Alternate meeting place and so forth. The real problem with the NJO and beyond is the scale of what has happened. The New Republic fell, the Vong screwed with a lot of planets, the Galactic Alliance appeared and had a bloody civil war... On the character front we have Chewie's death, Mara's death, Anakin's death, and Jacen's fall. It's a dark period, really too dark for an era when the Jedi and Republic should be on the rebound right?

If they rewrote the period with smaller scale conflict, flashpoints, and so forth that used those characters and had the relationships you preferred preserved... would you be opposed to it?

Part of the reason I feel so strongly on this is I would bet money that George Lucas has the words 'NEW REPUBLIC' on his treatment every time they talk about the government.

20. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Can someone give a list of all the EU novels which take place before the NJO era, but refer to characters and events from the NJO? Doesn't Rogue Planet introduce Zonama Sekot?

21. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    I think it's the only one... but I'd have to double check. But... that retcon would be relatively easy as you could have the Vong invade as a trilogy... a flashpoint event instead of a mind numbing war. I personally think that doing a trilogy with the Vong Invading, and the long rumored Thrawn clone heading the opposition would be a great way to make a clear *this is where the timeline changes* break with the previous EU.

22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'll skip Luke, Leia and Han. They're in everything.

Corran Horn: Not a main character in the entire NJO, but is a major character in several of the books. The character is built up extremely well in the X-Wing novels Rogue Squadron, Wedge's Gamble, The Krytos Trap and The Bacta War. He is the main character in I, Jedi, a novel written entirely from the first person perspective of Corran Horn.

Kyp Durron: Consistently significant character throughout the NJO. First appeared and built upon in the Jedi Academy Trilogy.

The next generation, Jacen Solo, Jaina Solo, Anakin Solo, Tahiri Veila, Tenel Ka, Lowbacca, Zekk, etc: Unfortunately this is a massive list of young readers novels. The six book Junior Jedi Knights series and the fourteen book Young Jedi Knights series. I really don't think these are necessary to read, as some of it is sorta ignored and the Solo kids get a ton of development throughout the series. You don't need any background on them to get into it. I didn't read the young readers series and I didn't find myself longing to.

The Corran Horn books are just good books, so you might want to read them just for fun and to "know" Corran Horn going into the NJO. The Jedi Academy Trilogy isn't as good, but features a huge event that shapes Kyp Durron's character for the NJO. Still, I don't consider any of this stuff absolutely necessary.

Rogue Planet isn't necessary either, imo. Neither is Outbound Flight or Cloak of Deception.

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Outbound Flight and Rogue Planet both reference the "Far Outsiders" AKA the Vong.
    Vergere plays a small part in Cloak of Deception, which is set shortly before The Phantom Menace. Also- in comics, Nom Anor (a major NJO villain) plays a medium-sized role in Crimson Empire II.

24. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Yeah, thought so.

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Thrawn is persuaded to attack Outbound Flight by the warning by Doriana that it's going to run into the "Far Outsiders" and trigger a full-scale invasion. After the battle, Doriana admits that him and Sidious haven't actually seen them- and Thrawn says that the Chiss have- they've already repelled a small probing force.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.