main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What would get you so mad that you would walk out of Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by JediKnightOB1, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    To be fair, I think Naboo City (or whatever its official name is) is very nice. It really highlights its European roots, and looks stunning. The rest of the PT leaves me cold, though.

Fair enough. I don't agree, but your entitled to your opinion. However, consider that all of Dagobah, obviously constructed or not, was real. That was a real Yoda Muppet with a real Mark Hamill standing next to a real R2-D2, amongst real leaves, dirt, rocks, and trees (real as in physical). When Luke angrily grabs is jacket from the branch after failing to lift the X-Wing from the swamp, the jacket, branch, all of it is real. That lends a certain believability to what happens, and allows me to suspend my disbelief easier. Surely, more fantastic scenery and actions can be created by computers today. The PT is proof of that. But I maintain that they feel hollow because there's nothing grounding them in reality. It all screams blue screen/fake.

Now, maybe that's okay to you, which is, again, fine as it's your opinion. Me, though? I cringe when I see scenes like Obi-Wan at the diner in AotC because I know that, aside from Ewan McGregor, none of it is real. It's him sitting on a blue stage talking to himself. Even the most emotional scene of the PT - the fight between Anakin and Obi-Wan - looks obviously fake to me. It's not helped by bad choreography (which plagued the PT) or bad camera work (which also plagued the PT), but even the environment worked against it. It's very obviously two people in a blue room twirling away at each other.

So, to finish up, for me, the new films need to have real sets and real props. A big part of the appeal for me is the OT's physicality, and that was completely missing in the PT.

Yanksfan and CT-867-5309 like this.
  2. smallpaul

smallpaul Jedi Master star 3

Aug 15, 2001
    don't forget a real script.

3. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Modern audience is very tolerant to CGI (look at Avatar). It's just a tool, it needs to be used appropriately. Even the prequels had plenty of real sets, models and props and even real world footage and backgrounds.

kainee likes this.
  4. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    IF THEY EVER ATTEMPTED A REALISTIC TAKE ON STARWARS I'D PROBABLY WALK OUT. IMAGINE THIS:

The new movie begins with the very end of Jedi repeating. Suddenly, an alarm clock goes off and an actor playing George Lucas wakes up. He tries telling his mom about the dream he just had about this empire and these Ewoks and she tells him,"Get your head out of the clouds, George, and go to school." He gets onto the bus and suddenly an Imperial Star Destroyer appears, blocking out most of the sunlight and starts blasting Earth. The US Amy and all the other armies on earth start a mass recruiting drive. Young George enlists and meets a German fighter pilot named Han that's best friends with an American ex-NBA player named Michael Chewy.

It would be like a cross between Disney's Enchanted and Wizard of Oz and then at the very end of the movie another alarm clock would go off, only this time it would be George Lucas (present day) waking up and walking over to the Disney studios and signing over the franchise.

CAN YOU IMAGINE!?

5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    It is indeed okay to me, as I don't find reality in Muppets, fake swamps, or camera handle laser swords. But I do find a few real moments of emotion in both Star Wars trilogies.

If I want visuals that adhere to the strictest sense of physical reality, I'll watch a drama by Ozu, not a space fantasy by Lucas or one of his heirs.

6. Cyclone

Cyclone Jedi Master star 1

Apr 29, 1999
    The Luke and Leia carnal love scene, that's when I'm walking out.

7. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    I'll leave only if ive bought the wrong tickets!

Echo-07 likes this.
  8. Varguitas

Varguitas Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't understand why people don't like the midichlorians. And anyway, I have always been annoyed by the PT haters. I wish they would stop destroying the pleasure of Star Wars for everyone else.

kainee and FRAGWAGON like this.
  9. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Corey F'cking Feldman. LMAO.

10. BosskHunter2

BosskHunter2 Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    I'd only walk out if the people in the theater were obnoxious.

11. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    The midichlorians was a clunky plot device and not needed at all, that's why people hated it. Instead of the spiritual sense of the Force that was apparent in the OT, it was replaced by some hokey DNA testing.

Anyway, others not liking the PT shouldn't do anything to your enjoyment of it?

I liked the PT, just not anywhere near as much as the OT.

JediWheelz and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  12. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I'll walk out if there is a song-and-dance number with twirling tables, leaping cups, waddling chairs, and breakdancing sugar bowls.

Echo-07 likes this.
  13. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
  14. Darth Shibs

Darth Shibs Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Agreed. For God's sakes, take them after it's been out a while. Don't ruin it for others around you lol

JediKnightOB1 likes this.
  15. Darth Shibs

Darth Shibs Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    It's a good thing that George supplies the imagination, but not in charge of anything technical. I didn't know that his wife had a huge bit to do with editing. Maybe he's giving away his 4B to charity since he felt bad about being a workaholic and not paying attention to his wife (link):

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/marcialucas.html

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    "Aha Luke we meet again. It seems we are both equal with our force powers, so the only thing left to do....IS A TICKLE FIGHT!"

JediWheelz likes this.
  17. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    HAN "Hey Lando old buddy old pal, how ya doin'?"

LANDO "Great thanks"

HAN " I heard you've switched sides? Tell me it isn't true?"

LANDO "Yep, I'm gay."

HAN "Um...how? You always seemed like such a ladies man?"

LANDO "Well there was a thread on TFN.net and they said SW needed more diversity...."

18. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Luke starts an attachment is forbidden speech... Seriously.

19. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    Well yeah because we know how well it worked out when his Dad got all romantic with Padme eh?

Luke better be celibate or I will walk out of the movie!

20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I would only walk out if C3PO and R2 became racist African American stereotypes, and Han Solo briefly wears a thong in one scene.

And if there was a scrotum attached to the end of the Falcon.

JediGirl_Angelina likes this.
  21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Lando, gay?

If Lando isn't knee deep in muff I'm walking out!

22. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    If there is even ONE Gungan shown on the screen and talking I will exit the theatre. No doubt about it.

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    But what if they were immediately arrested or destroyed?

24. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    I don't know. Even if that were to happen it STILL would not erase the fact that Gungans were in the movie.

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    What if instead of the dialect they spoke in TPM, they've evolved where they sound like British snobs? Have em' all voiced by Monty Python alums.

Dranem and Panakas_Dawg like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.