main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Dear Jabba-wocky,

Discussion in 'Community' started by Boba_Fett_2001 , Nov 24, 2012.

1. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    hush, Mike is an expert! just ask him about his years of talking about movies on message boards

Rogue_Ten and solojones like this.
  2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    hoist by my own petard... [​IMG]

i still think solojones works for abc family

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What was so bad about the ending of Sunshine? They re-ignite the sun don't they? Last time I saw it was August of 2010, so I might not remember very well. Maybe I was expecting a dismal ending, and it didn't bother me so much?

Maybe I should just look at my profile pic some more.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't remember when the crazy burned guy appeared and was explicitly not just a hallucination but that's when I stopped liking Event Horiz-- Sunshine.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    They're more like 20 minutes for projection. For shooting they're usually about 11 minutes. But yeah, as someone who's both shot and printed to 35mm film, I can say I have never heard anyone call the third act the 'third reel', because they know that films are more than three reels long...

EDIT: And lol... actually had a chance to work on an ABC Family show but couldn't do it for medical reasons.

6. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    yeah that's what im referring to and im hoping most others are referring to: when the crazy burned up captain of the other ship suddenly appears and starts chasing people slasher-style is when the movie gets Bad. its like boyle and/or the writer just couldnt sustain the astronomical levels of awesomeness in the first two thirds of the movie and had to result to schlock to make it to 120 minutes or whatever the final runtime is

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  7. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    are you allergic to ****?

Darth Guy likes this.
  8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yes, the burned man was an unfortunate turn, they had a good thing going already. I seem to vaguely remember a few moments near the end where suspension of disbelief was stretched beyond breaking, but I'm still a fan of the movie.

9. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Sadly I only ever see tape, card or drive based media anymore. :( I miss working with film.

10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The burned guy being alive at all made it hard to suspend my disbelief. I mean, obviously "re-igniting" the sun with nukes is not exactly realistic, but somehow a guy not succumbing to third-degree burns covering his body with no supernatural explanation was hard to accept. (I guess you could infer there was something supernatural about the unfiltered sunlight, but that wasn't at all clear.)

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    No, I'd have worked on the show gladly. And so would anyone with half a brain who wants to work in film and TV. It's all well and good for internet fanboys to get on their high horses, but in reality the people working on those shows are often fantastic people to work with and learn from.

12. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    haha, my favorite ever description of Sunshine was a friend of mine who called it "2/3rds of the best movie ever and 1/3rd wait is this Event Horizon?"

Rogue_Ten, solojones and Darth Guy like this.
  13. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    More importantly sometimes you just have to take a job, regardless of the quality of the project. Work in this business can be so fleeting, especially if you are on contract or are free-lancing. :(

14. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    LOL ALL THINGS TEENAGE GIRLS LIKE ARE TERRIBLE THIS MEME ISN'T OLD OR SEXIST AT ALL.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    And it was by the creator of Gilmore Girls. And was actually a good show. But yeah, lol women's things and girl things hahaahah lame!

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Honestly I can't think of one ABC Family program. My impression of it is mostly from when it was Fox Family which was like... over a decade ago.

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Oh, I agree with the burned man, I was referring to basically the entire ending, with Capa riding the bomb into the sun like Major Kong and having some kind of orgasmic moment just before he's vaporized far later than he should have been.

18. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    touche everyone itt. just touche. though in my defense i thought abc family was for tweens of all genders. and **** tweens

CT: well it was all in keeping with the theme of the sun as this unfathomably powerful, godlike presence and the effect that has on the human psyche, but the guy running around slashering people was just... event horizon (which is a fun movie btw, but shouldnt be grafted onto the Art that is the first 2/3rds of sunshine)

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Man, why aren't we all watching Sunshine right now?

20. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    im watching that scene i posted on loop

sj: "darth guy what do you see"

/he is annihilated by the splendour of my posts

21. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The Pan Am light billboard in Blade Runner makes me chuckle

22. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    IIRC, Garland actually came up with the third act first, then worked backwards. I agree with everyone else that the slasher-flick final act is so much less interesting than what had gone before.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What on Earth is Sunshine? I thought for a moment you meant "Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" which I was going to point out was a stupid movie, but you seem to be referring to something else. So what is this, exactly? I presume this wasn't a major release of any kind?

24. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    It doesn't have Will Smith so you don't need to worry about it.

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Wouldn't it be great if there were a website where you could look up details on literally any movie ever made?