main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Why the NJO and Legacy Era are toast.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by stellarmagic01, Nov 5, 2012.

?

Do you think the NJO and Legacy are going to Survive Episode VII?

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. No

154 vote(s)
    72.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Even if we eject the NJO/Legacy stuff, a fair amount of other EU stuff will have to be heavily reworked/reinterpreted then.

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    How so?

The Vong never came and the war never happened. Re-work done.

3. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    I would be opposed to having to pay twice over for coverage of the same period.

Also, the Bantam era can be fully covered by Zahn, Stackpole, Allston and maybe the Corellian Trilogy, CoPL, and TG for good luck. The rest of it is, IMO, highly repetetive and unnecessary.

It's looking from Kenobi's quote of "a thousand generations" of Jedi service to "the Republic" (i.e. 20 to 30 thousand years) as opposed to the GL view that "the Republic" was only a thousand years old (i.e. dating from what the EU know as the Ruusan Reformations) that there may have been a series of "Republics" stretching into the past. Apart from the fact that the PT showed a "Republic" that had become bloated to the point of dissenfranchisement, dominated by corrupttion and bureaucracic red tape; a fate that would probably overtake any new "New Republic" one day (all the signs were there in the first "New Republic" - until the Vong trashed it); I would say just get Dorvan to change the name. Simple enough.

4. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    So what happens with these "Far Outsiders", and Zonama Sekot, and Vergere, and the Vong character in Crimson Empire II?

5. Varguitas

Varguitas Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2012
    Does it really matter? They can change the fate of those guys or whatever.

6. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    It just feels kind of awkward, taking the NJO/Legacy era out, but keeping all the stuff set earlier which had strong links to it.

7. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Or as I said, they can replace the Vong invasion with a trilogy about a Vong invasion... we didn't need what, 19 books devoted to them. That was just too much. I like them as a group but they were just too big to keep as they stand.

8. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    The Far Outsiders/Vong never invade the galaxy and Zonama Sekot and Vergere are never seen again.

Because the Vong never invade, Nom Anor's schemes are for nothing.

I don't see a problem.

The links aren't strong imo, they're extremely insignificant. They only become significant if the Vong actually invade.

9. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Those 19 books only cover a four year period of the timeline, though - and (as I believe someone said back up-thread) only five are key, the rest are just filling in around the margins.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The four year period of just before, during, and just after the Clone wars probably has as nearly as many or more books now- from The Approaching Storm to the Coruscant Nights trilogy.

11. Varguitas

Varguitas Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, perhaps some of that will also be thrown out, or changed.

12. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    The links just establish a threat in the Unknown Regions or beyond, you don't even need to have them ever show up.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  13. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Precisely.

They just become links to a threat that never shows its face, for whatever reason. Happens all the time in real life.

14. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    However, it's not just 19 books that you guys want to bin, is it? The total is actually 41 - all bought with reader's hard earned cash.

15. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Darn book burning fascists.

16. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    lol...

Alternate Continuity guys... alternate continuity... hmm, I suppose that means the infinities stamp, or the N-canon label. You know this has all happened before, and probably will happen again. *shrugs*

17. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Though not by name, the vong are also referenced in KOTOR.

18. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    It's just absurd. Nobody will be taking away the books you bought with "hard earned cash". You got exactly what you paid for. Books. They won't turn to dust in 2015.

19. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    No, but they do seem to be expecting us to pay out again for a continuous continuity - which is the premise (even promise) on which those 41 books were bought.

20. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Speaking of which, I'd like Ron Moore to compensate me for all the money I've spent on 1978 Battlestar Galactica DVDs, given that the reboot has wiped them clean.

LawJedi likes this.
  21. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Wrong franchise, bud. [face_plain]

22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm hesitant to chime in on this, but here goes. I've never read any of the post ROTJ books. I've always seen ROTJ as the end of the saga. Now that the ST has been announced I've been thinking about reading some of the post ROTJ stuff to wet my appetite for the ST. However, I can say that I'm only interested in doing so if the books are actually part of the official canon. Elseworlds and/or alternate timelines don't interest me. After following this thread for awhile I'm having second thoughts, because I don't want to get attached to the stories only to see them wiped out of canon. Would I buy books set in a rebooted post ROTJ era? Possibly, but I would have a hard time trusting a company that has already rebooted once, not to do it again.

Tim Battershell likes this.
  23. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Damn, you beat me. :mad:

24. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    They decanonized the Marvel Comics before launching Heir to the Empire. That's a reboot.

25. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Yeah just hold out. I'm rereading Courtship of Princess Leia and the Thrawn comics right now, but I'm not coming in with the presumption of canon. I'm just trying to enjoy some cool Han/Luke/Leia business.

Edit: the X-wing books and comics would probably be the least canon-risky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.