main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Why the NJO and Legacy Era are toast.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by stellarmagic01, Nov 5, 2012.

?

Do you think the NJO and Legacy are going to Survive Episode VII?

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. No

154 vote(s)
    72.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I don't think you got my joke, but that's OK. My apologies.

2. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I figured it out immediately after posting... BSG. *shrugs*

Count Yubnub likes this.
  3. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    You're free to buy or not buy whatever you want. The point is, if they make such a decision, it's predicated on the assumption that if you don't buy the new books, at least one new buyer will take your place. Passing the torch indeed.

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually, I did read the Legacy comic, so I guess I have done some post ROTJ reading. I really enjoyed that story. I wonder if it's toast now too?

5. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    No it didn't, the new one was a different fictional universe/canon, the events in old BSG still happened.

6. Varguitas

Varguitas Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't think they would do a reboot after the books fit into Episodes 7-9. I mean, the problem with the current books set after ROTJ, it's that they probably don't follow George's vision of what would have happened then. A lot of it sounds made up and as if it didn't really fit into what should have happened.

7. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    That's the point--they're different continuities, just as NJO/Legacy and the ST may end up being different continuities as well.

8. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I'm missing what your defense is other than "well that's different."

9. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Then someone at LFL either didn't clear the plotlines with Lucas first or he wasn't interested in setting guidelines -- and yet we know of two separate interventions that he made into the plotline of the NJO series.

10. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Lucas' interventions only suggest that he is protective of how his characters are used in officially-licensed media--no more, no less.

Example: "George, we want to have a new plotline where Yoda is revealed to be the biggest Sith in the saga. He started out human but the Dark Side deformed him over 900 years, and so--"

Lucas: "God, no. If you need a new Sith, I dunno, make it Wedge's kid or something."

SuperWatto and LawJedi like this.
  11. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    If that's the case then I wish George hadn't allowed them to be published. I totally understand the EU fans point of view. They've spent years reading and enjoying books that they thought were part of the official story. Now they might be told "Never mind, it didn't happen that way. Your favorite characters and stories aren't part of the ACTUAL story anymore." I think I would feel hoodwinked, too.

tsunami1138 likes this.
  12. Varguitas

Nov 20, 2012
    He allowed them to be published because he originally did not intend to make any movies.

13. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    You might like the stories anyway. Just read them while acknowledging that it may end up being fluff. If you're entertained, why carp?

LawJedi and Artoo-Dion like this.
  14. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    what about some of the early jedi books such as Jedi Search, Dark Apprentice, ETC...?

15. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    True, but I don't think it would have been hard for him to keep them on track if he had a vision of what he wanted to happen. Like, if he didn't want Luke to get married just say no. Seems easy enough.

16. Varguitas

Nov 20, 2012
    That's the thing. He didn't really care about keeping on track his vision since he wasn't going to release movies in that time period.

17. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm just not into alternate universe stuff. I've never read any of the Infinites stories for that very reason. I'm only curious about the official story.

18. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Exactly as he did in ordering the switch from Anakin Jr to Jacen as the NJO's central character and having Anakin Jr killed off before the Prequels came out.

19. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Open your mind, man. Open it!

LawJedi likes this.
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I wonder why he intervenes on some things and not others?

21. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    My guess is that he only interfered here because he didn't want any confusion with the PT. Too many Anakins.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  22. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Perhaps because he's Oprah-rich and doesn't really care that much about the small stuff? [face_dunno]

23. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I remember reading in a statement somewhere that George didn't approve Ben Skywalker... actually it sounded like they didn't even bother telling him about the kid. I do remember there was a squabble between LFL and Timothy Zahn over letting Luke get married, but LFL actually gave into Zahn.

I think he only intervenes with instructions when he hears of a proposition he disagrees with or something is brought before him, at least nowadays. When the current EU was first starting with Heir to the Empire, the Jedi Academy Trilogy, and Dark Empire he did exert some influence, but now it's just too big for him to bother with.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  24. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    This is probably correct.

25. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Too bad he didn't do that with Dark Empire. That story is the one of the biggest reasons I've stayed away from post ROTJ stuff. It basically undoes half of what Luke accomplished in ROTJ. I'm surprised George didn't put the kabosh on it.

Varguitas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.