main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.10 - Secret Weapons - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Nov 28, 2012.

1. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Gregor better get introduced by the end of the first part; otherwise, I'm not sure if the droids can hold my interest that long.
    They aren't building light sabers, after all...

2. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Yes, even the relative disappointment of the Onderon arc didn't make it unwatchable. However, Friedman will have had to have struck a good balance in the script between ridiculous cliche humour (idiot LACWACy pit droid, swaggering snailman, stereotypically feminine QT-KT, creepy robophile quartermaster, etc.) and actual content beyond that. It doesn't help that they chose to preview some moments of extreme dysfunctionality and eccentricity, though it may balance out in the finished product. The Young Jedi arc was at least given some decent previews, with the younglings not acting like the hyperactive brats one would dread to see in SW.

Keep in mind that the second episode of the arc, A Sunny Day in the Void, is probably still going to focus on the droids in space, just going by its title. Gregor will then have little screentime beyond the third or fourth episode. The droids have to carry the entire four-episode arc, and they'll only have Snailman and LACWAC pit droid to play off of.

I certainly hope these episodes have relevance beyond the self-contained arc, but I think the Clovis arc was originally intended to come before this one. To be honest, I'm lowering my expectations in the hope that the episode can exceed them.

Seerow likes this.
  3. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Judging by the previews, the arc looks pretty promising (I really liked the look of the comet swarm). I won't hope for any miracles, but it looks like it could be a fun ride & I am in no rush to get to Gregor (it doesn't feel like he'll show up before the second half of the story).

4. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't think it is. But if it is, they screwed the bridge and length up.

5. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Disrespectfully Disagree, Seerow. This season has been one unending pile of **** for me, and saying that we're jumping the gun on this isn't gonna make me change my mind.

6. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    From the looks of it they're going for ultra wacky with the new characters.

7. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Here is what you do when you go to watch this episode. Get popcorn, successfully suspend reality, and look at it like your watching some show from your childhood and just enjoy it despite how much dumber it is than you remember. That's how my lame filter works. The humor presented to us in the clips is classic cartoon slap stick which was probably not the best choice to the preview. But it worked for me. I gotta be honest I'm expecting this to be simple, campy. goofy fun. I have a high tolerance for that stuff and even love it so I'm probably going to like it because of that.

It is really hard to imagine how this arc will be relative to anything and how droids can fill out 4 episodes. But who would of thought you could get four great episodes out of focusing on indentical looking clone troopers. Its a more than meets the eye kind of thing. I'm fairly sure it will flesh these droids out similarly to our beloved 501st clones. "A Sunny Day in the Void" definately sounds like something going on in space. But it could also be foreshadowing something really dark. I was thinking these droids are on an important espionage mission which is why they are going to bother going on this mission and then the focus will shift to delivering what is learned or stolen. How mysterious does that sound? What are the droids spying on? Is this mission to dangerous to send living spies? Is it something the republic can't risk sending clones in for?

It sounds like this arc is going to have relevency to it, but bring your lame filter, I'm bringing mine.

8. Palpatine's SOG

Palpatine's SOG Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2012
    I find the idea of the minigeneral interesting but i am not to happy about him looking like a damm frog.

aldrestjedimaster likes this.
  9. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    I am looking forward to this arc more now that I have seen some more footage. I am happy that there is going to be an alien republic officer, I would like to see more of them in the future - good and bad ones. Although it seems that a Super Tacitcal Droid will be the boss of the separatist ship, it will be interesting to see a Tactical Droid incharge of a flesh villain (the Parwan guy) when it is normally the other way round.

Seerow likes this.
  10. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Perhaps if you research the inspiration behind this astromech, you might understand why it's "feminine" rather than jumping to conclusions about it being stereotypical.

LordMortis315 likes this.
  11. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Hopefully the portrayal of QT-KT is good enough to not dishonour the inspiration. ;)

I'm fairly optimistic about that droid now, however.

It's the pit droid that's more concerning, particularly if it lives up to its inspiration.

Seerow and rumblewagon like this.
  12. Order66Survivor

Order66Survivor Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012
    This.

However, i feel like I'm watching a whole new show than seasons past. In a bad way**
    I understand you don't want to do clones-droids-jedi-sith-senate-etc every episode, but I really enjoy the core characters of Star Wars and would love to get back to some main character driven storylines asap.

but like hlc88 i'm gonna remain dangerously hopefully optimistic as very, very long as possible.

13. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I'm looking forward to this arc more and more. It looks like its going to be alot of fun to me. I'm interested to see what R2's big contribution will be. I'm also liking the seeming moral lesson this arc is setting up about how clumsy does not equal incompetent. I'm thinking this little Pit Droid is going to prove himself on this journey. Really sappy but I love a good underdog. Its going to be interesting what the point of sending droids on an espionage mission is. I'm sure something important is going to be revealed. Gascan (Petrol and now Gascan...) or whatever his name is, is interesting. He's not what I had in mind for a non-clone officer though.

14. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    In the CVI trailer, I'm pretty sure Mace said it was because they wouldn't be suspected. A clone would have been, but there are other non-clones in the GAR that could have done it. Unless there was more to that, I don't think it was a particularly good reason. That said, I am looking forward to this arc. I'm unfortunately not going to be near a TV this weekend though.. :(

15. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    It was my guess something is on the big Separatist ship valuable enough the Republic can't risk attacking it and blowing it up. Something they have to pull out all the stops to get close to. So, the republic has restored to sending droids. I guess that would kinda be like setting down an unassuming appliance to spy (steal) something for you. That leaves the big question as: What the hell are they trying to get?

16. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    Plans for the Death Star or some other major battleship (like the Malevolence) would be my guess.

Seerow likes this.
  17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Maybe it'll have something to do with the old Citadel Arc or the super weapon it was mentioned Grievous was building in "Nomad Droids" however. It couldn't actually be something as major as Death Star plans, could it? It crossed my mind I'm sorry to say. I don't know any better. ^_^

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  18. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    I thought had Palpatine had possession of those plans since AOTC. He's get them in his office during ROTS. I can't think of anything else big enough to justify this though. Unless we see something involving the Nexus route..

19. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Maybe it does have something to do with the attack on Coruscant at the beginning of ROTS like that.

20. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    If so, I want to see Dooku outsmart the Jedi. Let the whole plan thing in the arc be a farce, the Jedi commit troops and ships to the area they think the attack is coming from, then GG comes in somewhere else and surprises Coruscant. Palps could then place the blame on the Jedi for leaving Coruscant vulnerable to attack due to their strategy.

21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I know people are hungry for a Separatist win and this would seem like an easy win for them to stop a bunch of clumsy droid from stealing crap. But I think this entire espionage mission turning out to be a farce wouldn't help this already shaky looking arc. There needs to be a pay off where **** happens.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  22. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    They are taking an awful risk here, banking on the writer's hope that we will care about some droids...

23. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    What if we don't even know it's a farce till the closing scene of the last ep where there's a conversation between Dooku and Sidious? I think there's ways they could do it well, that said, I'm not sure they would.

24. GeneralCIS

GeneralCIS Jedi Master star 1

Oct 23, 2012
    Wow Im looking foward to this. Nice to see a new species in the preview and a Parwan that speaks english.

SeparatistFan likes this.
  25. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    It harkens back to when R2 and C-3PO had to carry the first part of A New Hope. These droids have a tougher task of carrying 88 minutes worth, but it won't be completely on their shoulders as we'll have Gregor and who knows who else.