main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT When did Wicket forget the SW english?.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by King Terak, Nov 28, 2012.

1. King Terak

King Terak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2012
    If the Ewok movies are sort of prequels to ROTJ, then how did Wicket forget the SW language equvialent to english?. Also, wouldn't the rest of the tribe realize that humans are not a threat after being around the Towani family and Noah?.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Possibilities:

He didn't forget- he's just playing dumb around Leia until he's certain she can be trusted.

The tribe might, after bad experiences with the Empire, assume that armed humans are a threat until proven otherwise.

3. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    I'm pretty sure the official reason given was that the Towani family weren't actually speaking Basic.

4. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The Towani family didn't speak Galactic Basic Standard (which almost exactly sounds like English) to the Ewoks, they spoke Bocce, but it has been "translated" to English for the audience, because children don't want to watch 90 minutes in a made-up language. The actors spoke English, but the Towani family's native tongue which has been used in-universe by the characters was Bocce.

5. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    If we assume that the Ewok movies are based on the memories of the Towani girl that she tells years later, then it can be inferred that the events of the second film are more fictionalized than the first. A lot of what was shown in it still happened, but Wicket never learned to speak Basic.

6. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Excellent way of putting it into context. The story itself was something of a folk/fairy tale within the SW universe (hence the voiceover), even if the events themselves are accepted as having 'really' occurred in whatever canon the Ewok stories are accepted.

What we saw was a retelling, rather than the events themselves - which, to a certain extent, I sometimes consider the PT to be.

KilroyMcFadden and Brenapp like this.
  7. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    That's also how I consider the changes to the OT to be, like "Jedi Rocks".

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  8. Attariel

Attariel Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    Its an EU story turned animated film for the wee little chillins who wanted chibi wookiees. It makes no sense in LA SW films

9. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I think the tribe is smart enough not to think EVERY human is safe to be around just because of one good experience.