main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Jon Favreau and David Fincher Pursuing 'Star Wars'

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Bazinga'd , Nov 30, 2012.

1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
  2. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Not very much evidence to go on . . .

I actually like them both as Directors. Was never a big Iron Man fan growing up, rarely read the comics, but LOVED the movie. I aslo liked 2 depsite others' misgivings. And as a metter of fact I guessed that JF would be the director for Ep 7 in the "Timecapsule" thread.

As for Fincher, he's arguably my favorite director working today. Se7en and Fight Club are two of my all-time faves. I would have been speculating DF right along, but I thought early on he had bowed out? Also, love that he wroked on ROTJ.

Ultimately, i would love if Matt Vaughn directed Episode 7, while Fincher and Favreau each directed Episodes 8 or 9. That would be absolutely fantastic IMO.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  3. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I don't want David Fincher directing Star Wars. He helped ruin the Alien franchise, I don't want him near Star Wars.

Favreau I would be fine with, but he wouldn't be my top choice, that's for sure.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  4. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    The more I think about it, the more I agree with you Echo that this is simply more speculation, in a week of wild speculation.

5. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Isn't Fincher too dark and gritty for Star Wars? Unless he can change his style.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    He hardly ruined the Alien franchise, 3 was still better than Resurrection and the Special Edition made it better.

It was kind of a not-so-good copy of the first one, but then so was ROTJ :p

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  7. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Yes, there was no proof offered in that peice. No "inside sources" kind of stuff. Just seemed liked pure spec. We already knew that JF would be open to it and, as I said, I had thought Fincher bowed out early on. But I'm still glad you posted it. It's been slow for the last couple days. LOL

8. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I don't think so. He's just a great, great filmmaker.

The Game, Se7en, Alien 3, Fight Club, Benjamin Button (or Forrest Gump part2), The Social Network, and Zodiac (which I think is his worst film.) I think he's pretty diverse.

9. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Well, I'm far from the biggest fan of ROTJ out there, but it still feels like Star Wars. Alien 3 felt nothing like the previous two. To be fair, it's probably more writers' fault fault than his (killing off favorite characters from Aliens?). But still, his style is too distinct for Star Wars.

10. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    I'm not denying his talent. I'm just not sure he's compatible with the Star Wars universe. Vaughn seems a better fit.

11. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I think that Fincher is a very talented and skilled director. I also do not like Alien 3, but I do not believe at all that its problems were the result of Fincher's direction. It is well known that the movie had a lot of production problems that were the fault of the studio, and script problems (that being, that it didn't really exist). Of all of the directors names that are floating around, my personal favorite is Joe Johnston, and after that, Favreau :) Although I would be perfectly happy with Vaughn or any of these other folks :) Iron Man really is a great movie though! Also, if you look at Fincher's IDMB it shows that he is capable of doing many different types of movies. We can't typecast a director any more than an actor :).

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Fincher has a range of movies and a solid level of quality overall which IMO makes him a far better choice than either Favreau (riding the coatails of doing one decent movie) or Johnston (if Fincher messed up Alien, Joe messed up Jurassic Park :p )

TheMasterOfSoresu likes this.
  13. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I think he would have been perfect for ROTS. I still disagree with you, though. It's not like SW is going to have serial killers or an edgy/twisted psychological tone. SW deals in archetypes that Fincher would absolutely nail. Also, how awesome would it be to see Fincher direct a movie in which, let's say for argument, that one of the Solo kids turns to the Dark Side by killing good ol' Uncle Luke? Wouldn't you want someone who knows how to tightly deliver that kind of angst and torment to a screen?

For those that love JJ IMO his best movie is Captain America and that isn't the greatest movie ever.

14. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    I wouldn't touch Favreau or Johnston with a barge pole!

15. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    And lets not forget who wrote Alien: Ressurection... JOSS WHEDON! DO DO DOOOO! (scary music). Star Wars will have to be a good mix of writing, performances, and directing. I have faith in the process, and both of those names don't bother me. Fincher is especially interesting.

Pro Scoundrel and Echo-07 like this.
  16. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The guy that wrote that story is Mike Fleming and he's an excellent reporter. I trust his sources who are usually Hollywood agents and producers.

17. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    LOL I know! The peeps around here act as though Joss Whedon is god. I never cared for Buffy. Firefly, a western in space. Got it, no thanks! Then he directs the Avengers and suddenly he's the greatest director ever. Watch, when the Avengers 2 disappoints, like nearly every sequel does, he'll be thrown back on the scrap heap like Jon Favreau.

Oh, let us not forget that JW is a fanboy so that rules shim out also.

Is a very vague guess. No "insider sources say..."

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Star Wars is a western in space.

DarthMane2 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  19. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Alien 3 felt a hell of a lot more like Alien than Aliens did. Not saying that Aliens is a bad movie, but it doesn't really continue the series so much as go off on its own tangent. I mean, really, replace the Sulaco with the Narcicuss in Alien 3 and you'd have a direct sequel to the first film.

But yeah, Fincher has a pretty distinct style. Most of which is on display in Alien 3. :p

20. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Whedon is still more of a writer than director. The dialogues were fun, but the action in the end was dragging too long and lost all tension. Also, what's with Fury swearing?

21. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I disagree. Han Solo is the closest thing to a western figure in SW = Space Cowboy, which Firefly riped off. SW is much more mythological archetypes of all kinds. Knights, damosels, wizards, outlaws, mystics, guides etc...

Firefly was talking like a hick in space, "Yes, Ma'am! Preacher, watering hole." It was a one for one translation that didn't work for me, depsite all the beautiful women -- Summer Glau, Maria Bakunen, Christine Hendricks.

22. Jeff Vader

Jeff Vader Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    I loved Firefly. Was very late to the party on that one and only saw it last year. Still not seen Serenity. My fiancee recommended I get Outlaw Star, a manga space western. Anyone else seen it?

23. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Firefly/Serenity was essentially Joss Whedon's own Star Wars, just wasn't as epic or as good.

24. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I know, which is why I tried to watch it. I really wanted to like it but couldn't for reasons I've mentioned. Althogh that's the first place I saw Christine Hendricks and Summer Glau and fell in love . . . :p

25. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    To be fair, he was working with a tiny tiny budget.

Saurion-Fett and DarthMane2 like this.