main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Go science?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Sep 26, 2012.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Warp drive update

Still no info concerning the mass per second, per hour, per day, per year, etc. It just says 1600 pounds. Perhaps that is 1600 pounds to the nearest star for the entire trip?

2. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Dutch scientists grow bacon from stem cells

What if it were possible to have meat, without slaughtering an animal, or without excess waste? Why do we need the whole pig if all we want is the bacon? That exactly what has happened, as Dutch scientists grow bacon from stem cells. Dutch scientists have used real pig stem cells to grow just the bacon, rather than go the route of genetically modifying the pigs DNA as other scientists have done.
    Would you eat meat that was grown in a science laboratory? Not even the scientists who created it have dared to eat the bacon yet, if that’s any consolation.
    Skeptics worry that the laboratory created meat may have harmful side-effects to the humans who consume it, though no research has been conducted in that field yet. Maybe they could just grow their own test subjects using human stem cells…….oh dear!

The scientists state that by being able to grow the food in a lab, they may be able to alter the properties of the substance to make it healthier for human consumption. Imagine eating bacon in the morning that lowered your cholesterol and helped you live longer. We could resort to just eating artificial foods like they did on Star Trek from the Food Replicators. In fact, maybe this is just the kind of forward thinking that Gene Roddenberry had for our future. Instead of bringing all of the ingredients with you on a space voyage you would just being a pack of living cells and grow the food as you needed it for your journey.

[face_pig]

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    About Warp drives: Yes, the physics behind this is well established. It uses a solution in General Relativity. However, it requires a negative energy density. This has never been observed. There is no reason, beyond hypothetical exotic matter, to think this even exists.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    But we've got to hold onto this probably unreachable dream, Vivec! Otherwise we might actually find something that works in our physical reality!

5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    You might want to reconsider that statement. OR, as I admit to not being the greatest educated person on the planet, a simple google check says otherwise. Show me why negative energy density has never been observed.

And how are you not excited about bacon research? :confused:

6. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    You might want to reconsider that statement. I can't show you why something has never been observed. It's up to the person claiming it has been observed.

EDIT: Do understand that a negative energy density means that you're getting a negative mass-energy. Current understanding of physics says that's nonsensical.

7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Like Vivec said, there's no "why" to it. It hasn't been observed. Most models say it's nonsensical. It's a pipe dream.

Because that's biology, duh.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  9. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Uh, Ghost, it's not new matter. It's unexpected matter. They weren't expecting quark-gluon plasma from that run. It's not new, just not what was expected.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Simplest of many

For some reason it doe snot copy and paste but says it has been proven to exist but it very difficult to observe and making use of it is another matter entirely.

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Except what you want is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_mass which requires so much nonsense stretching of the Casimir effect that you might as well just say "Nah."

Edit: The most generous peer-reviewed articles I'm finding on the subject say that one could theoretically PERHAPS pull the negative density off if like twelve things about the weak force that we don't know either way on hold in the precise manner they need to hold.

12. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    The point is, VLM, that it hasn't been observed and that, for the most part, is complete nonsense. Also, I'm surprised at you for linking to some pseudo-science alt-med site as your evidence for negative energy observations.

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Wisegeek is pseudoscience? So is wikipedia then, or any other summary page on the web that is not a flat out scientific journal pdf file. None of which is my fault.

1. I do have a lack of real, detailed education. Forgive the horrors of my life keeping me from school.
    2. Stepping into the fanciful is fun, though in this case it is funded research by real scientist who are giving it a go, and that makes it more fun.
    3. In the literally THOUSANDS of posts I have made on scientific related items it is that going into vast depth and providing all score of links and pics and graphs is almost useless. I do it on occasion if inspired but I gave up on researching for 3 hours for a single post because it spawned nothing but threads that wind up being my own personal blog.
    4. Let us all lighten up, it is times like this when we push the edge of pissing each other off.

14. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Wisegeek is psuedoscience. Look at the over 100 articles that is has on homeopathic remedies. In contrast, Wikipedia does say "Scientific research has found homeopathic remedies ineffective and their postulated mechanisms of action implausible.[2][3][4][5] Within the medical community homeopathy is generally considered quackery.[6]" and provides citations. I don't see any such thing going on with wisegeek. Psuedoscience isn't a label for how formal it is, it's a label for the content and methods it endorses.

15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm....not sure why you're upset over this. Ramza and I informed you of a big hurdle in the "warp drive," which is the negative energy density. It has never been observed and doesn't even have a sensible physical model behind it. I mean, the stress-energy tensor behind it would require negative mass, and currently that's a pretty lol concept.

I'm not trying to suggest that you're inferior for posting a blog post, but, when Ramza and I say there hasn't been any observations on this, to respond with a quack site on it (and yes, it's a quack site, there's a link on it to wearing crystals with "negative energy" to heal oneself) and say "it's been proven" is pretty lol. Because it hasn't.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Water discoved... on Mercury, of all places. It keeps turning out to be a much more interesting planet than astronomers originally thought.

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I shalt go with this and obey. Wisegeek = bad.(<not being snarky.) I have not looked over the site beyond and article here and there which after a breezeing through looked ok to me.

As far as negative mass versus negative energy, one has been shown(if not directly observed), one has not. I have no clue how you have negative mass other than negative energy with e=mc^2 in mind.

WTF is a tensor?

-------------------------------------

The biggest breakthrough in propulsion technology since the invention of the jet engine?

Longevity in the headlines HERE and HERE, the latter which I have pointed out in various places including here.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Pat Robertson: Gooooooo Science!

Televangelist Pat Robertson challenged the idea that Earth is 6,000 years old this week, saying the man who many credit with conceiving the idea, former Archbishop of Ireland James Ussher, “wasn’t inspired by the Lord when he said that it all took 6,000 years.”​

The statement was in response to a question Robertson fielded Tuesday from a viewer on his Christian Broadcasting Network show "The 700 Club.” In a submitted question, the viewer wrote that one of her biggest fears was that her children and husband would not go to heaven “because they question why the Bible could not explain the existence of dinosaurs.”​

“You go back in time, you've got radiocarbon dating. You got all these things, and you've got the carcasses of dinosaurs frozen in time out in the Dakotas,” Robertson said. “They're out there. So, there was a time when these giant reptiles were on the Earth, and it was before the time of the Bible. So, don't try and cover it up and make like everything was 6,000 years. That's not the Bible.”​

Before answering the question, Robertson acknowledged the statement was controversial by saying, “I know that people will probably try to lynch me when I say this.”​

“If you fight science, you are going to lose your children, and I believe in telling them the way it was,” Robertson concluded.​

First he says that we should legalize marijuana, now he's saying 'look at the science, the Earth is much older than just 6000 years'? :eek:

19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    How are these two things at all contrary?

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Those things are not contrary they are simply grouped into the usual right wing/religious/anti-science items. Science bad, miracle drug bad, pleasure bad, free thought bad, etc etc.

Juliet316 and Summer Dreamer like this.
  21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    They're not contrary, the point is more "PAT ROBERTS AGREES WITH BOTH OF THESE IDEAS WTACTUALF?!" Because Pat Roberts is precisely the sort of fellow who would ordinarily agree with neither.

A conceptually entertaining but in practice quite tedious extension of "normal" (Used very loosely) matrix math. More precisely, they're mappings from the free product of free products of vector spaces and covector dual spaces (Which are themselves free products) into the reals. Physicists like them because they represent complicated objects and differential geometers like them because differential geometers are insane.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  22. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    No, neither has been shown nor directly observed.

Also, a tensor is a mathematical quantity. Generally, used to describe matrices of rank 2 or greater (rank 1 being vectors and rank 0 being scalars). The Stress-Energy tensor describes how an object creates a gravitational field.

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Maybe Pat believes in the Mayan doomsday prediction and he's trying to 'set things right' before the end.:p J/K

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Well if negative energy doesn't exist how come so much of it is coming from your posts lately?

Lord Vivec likes this.
  25. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    EDIT: Nevermind