main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    What about the guys that always followed the Emperor about? Are they like dark side mystic's or something?

2. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Wrong. You should read Darth Plagueis, it's an excellent novel.

No.

3. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Who are they then? How do u know they are not?

4. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001

5. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Yes and I remember agreeing with you about Plageuis (wasn't it in the Sith thread?). Of all the dead characters, he'll be the least problematic to resurrect: after all, we never actually see them and we have to trust Palpatine's words.

I'm afraid this is going to be a cliche at this point.

Violates the rule of two so unlikely (same with any secret Vader's apprentice). Honestly, Plagueis's return is the best idea I've heard so far. But I agree with you it's not likely to happen. GL and the writers will want to do something new and shocking. Even in the PT, where we knew the main story, there were plenty of surprises (who'd have though the clones would be the future stormtroopers and the the "good guys"?).

6. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Yeah, the Darth Plagueis novel by James Luceno is excellent. What's more, apparently Luceno had more than a little input from Lucas.

7. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    They are his royal guard. Trained slightly in some dark side of the force. Plenty of source material has been done on them. Not unique enough for main villains in the ST by a long stretch.

While I would not root for a return of Plaguies I am fine with whatever they do so long as the story is done well. A resurrection of Plaguies would not be as bad as Palpatine or Vader since

1. He has never been in any film thus brand new to the majority of fans as a villain.
    2. His death could potentially be worked around better than Palpatine or Vader

All that being said, the return of Plaguies would be drastically far form my preference. I also want someone brand new even as a fan of the EU. The only way I will accept something considered old is if it ties in really well with the story we have thus far and moves it forward in a awesome way.

Darth_Quintonis and -NaTaLie- like this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think they're just ministers or something. A part of Palpatine's court, he is an Emperor.

9. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Hego's dead. Accept it, son.

10. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012

Isn't really a violation of the Rule of Two, which is less a rule and more a guideline.

A.) Darth Bane considered training a new apprentice to replace Darth Zannah, found the candidate (Darth Cognus), Cognus ended up being trained by Darth Zannah after she defeated Bane.
    B.) Darth Tenebrous trained Darth Venamis because he thought Darth Plagueis wasn't good enough, Plagueis killed both Tenebrous and Venamis.
    C.) Darth Sidious trained Darth Maul while he was still an apprentice to Darth Plagueis, and later after losing Maul (and killing Plagueis) took on Darth Tyrannus as an apprentice while grooming Anakin Skywalker to replace Tyrannus as his apprentice.

The point being, the RoT is not usually adhered to strictly, even if not adhering to the Rule could present a danger to the Master. If a Master trains more than one apprentice, he better do so clandestinely lest the apprentices team up against him/or her, I suppose the same could also be said for the apprentice.

Ryus and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  11. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    But none of this stuff is mentioned in the movies. If you're not familiar with the EU, you'll think it was never violated. I'm not saying it's totally implausible, but I don't think it's going to happen.

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The only way I'd want to see Plagueis would be if Episode VII took place in 60 BBY.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  13. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    And who knows, that might happen in the future. It might be one of the spinoffs that Disney has in mind.

14. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Why in 60 BBY?

15. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    But wouldn't logic dictate it as a possibility? I'm not saying it would happen, but I highly doubt the majority of fans would view it as odd. At worst they would think "So some guy used their brain and broke a rule". At best logic would say, "Well if you are planning to off your master or apprentice you are going to need a new apprentice to fill in the slot. You're not just going to off one without having a replacement to already get things moving. Palpatine was already grooming Anakin in many ways before he had Dooku taken out. Again. not saying it will happen or even that it should happen, but I highly doubt it would be as big of an issue as some think it would be.

16. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Read the novel ;)

17. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    While I now no longer think they will use Plagueis in the ST, him being the villain would make a lot of sense for the following reasons:
    • The audience is already familiar with him because of his mention RotS.
    • Him being mentioned is a kind of Chekhov's Gun scenario.
    • Plagueis' goal was immortality through Midi-chlorian manipulation, so you have to be suspicious that any character like that could return.
    • He's essentially the father of Anakin skywlaker, and his story ties into the Chosen One prophecy, etc, which wasn't really explained in the previous films.
    • Judging from his motivations in the novel, it wouldn't suprise me at all if he deliberately let Sidious kill him, knowing that he had a way of returning. With the Chosen One on the loose, this could have been his way of getting out of dodge and one-upping the Force.
    • The audience will expect a villain on par with or greater than the Emperor, well, who better than the guy who trained the Emperor?
    • He's one of the few character that could pose a legitimate threat, and actually kill Luke in a confronation, who would be a Grand Master Jedi at this point.
    • In some of the earlier outlines Lucas made for the saga, the Emperor didn't die until ep9, so bringing the Emperor's master in as a replacement makes a certain amount of sense.

18. Roberto Calrissian

Roberto Calrissian Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    We saw Darth Plagueis already as Lord Voldemort

19. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    I didn't mean his guards, I meant the old creepy guys in ROTJ.

20. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Is he really the Emperor?:p

21. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    I don't think brining back dead villians is the best idea, however i don't think all brand new villians is good either unless you are starting fresh with the good guys too...

Having Luke and Han fight new villians may work in the books, but i just don't see it.... I think they're going to need to make strong connections and that may (or may not) include bringing back some dead bad guys...

22. DarthMateous

DarthMateous Jedi Master star 4

Aug 1, 2002
    Palpatine killed Plagueis in his sleep. Next.

23. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012

24. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    Oops. Sorry I misunderstood you.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm pretty sure they mentioned it somewhere.:D

Thread Status: