main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Jon Favreau and David Fincher Pursuing 'Star Wars'

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Bazinga'd , Nov 30, 2012.

1. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Because you know that, if Fury's swearing, then it's Definitely Serious Business, and the end of the world is near.
    Truly, it didn't bother me at all...

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

2. smallpaul

smallpaul Jedi Master star 3

Aug 15, 2001
    Let's watch the comments about other fans, please.-Darth Boba

3. klooney

klooney Jedi Master star 1

Jul 2, 2009
    I expect we will get at least one film directed by Favreau, Johnston, Fincher and others sooner or later since the announced plan is to keep making Star Wars indefinitely.Those are all very capable directors that have made good films, and the bad films in their resumes have more to do with bad scripts and studio interference. Alien 3 was a mess but it really wasn't Fincher's fault. The director is probably the last thing we have to worry about - it's the script that will make or break it. I would not be surprised if multiple directors are announced soon as they are writing for at least three of them and will need to schedule in IIX and IX.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That ship has sailed.

5. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Really don't think Alien 3 sucking was entirely his fault. It was his first big film and it was also his first big experience at how Hollywood worked. He had very little time to prepare for it, and thought the whole thing was a horrible experience.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't want Joss Whedon directing Star Wars. He helped ruin the Alien franchise, I don't want him near Star Wars.

DarthBrian likes this.
  7. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I said "helped ruin". Obviously he didn't do it all himself. Sigourney Weaver helped by thinking it was a good idea for them to have no weapons in the movie because she was on her anti-weapons kick at the time. The screenwriters helped by writing a story in which they killed off the two best characters from Aliens in the first 30 seconds of the movie (and all the other stupid crap that was in that film, too long to detail here). Lots of blame to go around.

8. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
  9. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    I hope Fincher continues with his 'Dragon Tattoo' series.

Favreau is great. I can see him getting the similar tone and humor of the original series.

But, Matthew Vaughn has also piqued my interest....

So it's Favreau or Vaughn for me.

10. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    SW was very much a Space Western. Westerns, Sci-fi serials, Akira Kurasawa films, all inspired the feel and tone of Star Wars. Akira loved Westersn, so he made Samuria films that were like Westerns. We in turn took those Samurai films and adapted them to Westerns. So you get a double wammy of Western. Tattooine is your biggest Western Influence in the film. Han Solo is a gunslinger. Either way you look at it Star Wars has a big dose of Western influence.

As for Firefly. It's not that Firefly was the greatest series of all time, it's the fact that the series never was able to achieve it's full potential. That's one of the big reasons it has so much love. The first season of BUFFY was crap, save for a few episodes. If It wasn't for the season finale I would have dropped it there. Season 2 blew me away. They say it's the same way with both Angel and DollHouse. Firefly never got that chance. It had a lot of potential, and based off how the season 2 of Joss Whedons works all stepped it up a notch, most feel Firefly would have done the same.

AS FOR AVENGERS. Come on people, why play this game? You have a director in his sophomore effort tasked with making a team up film that has multiple hero's from multiple films, all with different tones and styles. Whedon did something nobody thought was possible, and made a pretty great team up movie. Something up to that point had never been done successfully, if ever. Give credit where credits do. Do we honestly think WB is gonna pull off a great Justice League movie?

I like that fact that Whedon saw making Avengers as a challenge. I like that he actually developed his characters, gave them all something to do do, and actually used action to develope his characters. Which was a clever move.

Julius Vernon likes this.
  11. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I would be shocked if Dragon Tattoo got a sequel. The first movie was a flop.

12. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    With a budget of 90 million, it made 102 million domestically and 130 world wide. You have to cover marketing cost obviously, but it still made money. Not a flop.

Dredd is a better example of a flop.

13. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Underperformer is a better word. MGM has hinted that they will not be making a sequel.

14. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    ANH darkly lit? Where? The garage? The garbage smasher?

15. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    Poor Dredd. :(
    It's like my favorite movie of the year so far. :(
    Except for maybe Skyfall.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  16. yggdrasil311

Oct 7, 2004
    It underperformed because the original foreign versions were beloved, I reckon. I know a few people who have refused to see it, because why bother?

It'd be like if someone remade Robocop.

Oh...

17. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Fincher made a bad Alien film, yes, but that was his *first* film, and he made it YEARS ago.

Since he has made good movies like Seven, Fight Club, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, and the Social Network. He'd certainly be better than Jon Favreau.

18. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    Well, then those people are dumb. They're both good films and worth watching. And there are things in the U.S. version that actually follow the book closer than the foreign films do. Or so I heard from someone who read the books.

krtmd and yggdrasil311 like this.
  19. yggdrasil311

Oct 7, 2004

I love both versions. And, I am excited about the new Robocop. I'm always interested in other people's takes on things.

20. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    I am not strictly against a remake of Robocop, per se. But everything I've seen from the new one sounds...well...terrible. :(
    Like, I think he's a transformer now or something. [face_plain]

21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This is what kept me from being a Joss Whedon fan for awhile. He's since won me over, but talk about a rocky start. :)

22. yggdrasil311

Oct 7, 2004
    Yup.

Which is why I am staying spoiler free and pic free for these new Star Wars movies. I saw a pic of charred anakin prior to the movie, and I am a douche for looking.

23. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Alien 3 was definitely not David Fincher's fault. He was pretty disgusted with the whole process of making that movie. He had zero power, no script, and lots of interference from the studio. Oh, and a ridiculous deadline, because Fox had already set a release date without a script. Brilliant. He even asked to have his name taken off of the film.

yodasbum likes this.
  24. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    I think it's mostly agreed that Whedon's script for Alien: Ressurection was far better than what was actually filmed for the screen. There were multiple changes to what he wrote. There was a finale battle on Earth that was never filmed, and originally Newt was supposed to be returning as the clone not Ripley. The producers wanted Ripley, so he had to rewrite again, a process he found difficult concidering that the way she died in Alien 3. In other words you can't blame Whedon for Riply making out with an Alien human baby, since he didn't write that. :)

I'd like to see Whedon adapt his version into a graphic novel one day.

25. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    The voice?